: Dealer's emblem - eyesore ?

SHOWGIRL
12-18-10, 10:54 AM
guess this should fall into the ''this should be my biggest problem'' dept... here goes:
-------------------
Our dealer's 4''x2'', silver-edged, egg-shaped emblem with silver letters on a black-background is affixed to the lower-left of the trunk of our 2010 DTS. (SEE PHOTO IN 'RIPPY PARTS DEPT' REPLY, BELOW)
While this emblem isn't 'cheap-looking' i feel due to the car-color being 'white diamond tri-coat' it therefore 'stands-out' more than if the car were a different color.

I don't object to a dealer's emblem but have seen some not as 'obtrusive' i.e. chrome letters with the dealer's name, or a lighter colored emblem.

It seems to be glued there! - a fingernail won't even get under it so is it worth any possible 'damage' to the paint by having the dealer remove it ? (we wouldn't attempt to do this ourselves).

However, my husband seems to feel with it 'there' on the car, when in for service, it might be handled with more 'care' since it's obviously ''one of thier own'.

Any opinion of any of the above is most welcomed ... I.E: just 'live with it' and realize no one really cares it's there & it doesn't detract from the car's 'appearance? ' (my biggest concern)
Many thanks in advance.. (no we didn't notice it at time of delivery - stars were still in our eyes - LOL) :yup:

Superjim
12-18-10, 01:27 PM
guess this should fall into the ''this should be my biggest problem'' dept... here goes:
-------------------
Our dealer's 4''x2'', silver-edged, egg-shaped emblem with silver letters on a black-background is affixed to the lower-left of the trunk of our 2010 DTS.
While this emblem isn't 'cheap-looking' i feel due to the car-color being 'white diamond tri-coat' it therefore 'stands-out' more than if the car were a different color.

I don't object to a dealer's emblem but have seen some not as 'obtrusive' i.e. chrome letters with the dealer's name, or a lighter colored emblem.

It seems to be glued there! - a fingernail won't even get under it so is it worth any possible 'damage' to the paint by having the dealer remove it ? (we wouldn't attempt to do this ourselves).

However, my husband seems to feel with it 'there' on the car, when in for service, it might be handled with more 'care' since it's obviously ''one of thier own'.

Any opinion of any of the above is most welcomed ... I.E: just 'live with it' and realize no one really cares it's there & it doesn't detract from the car's 'appearance? ' (my biggest concern)
Many thanks in advance.. (no we didn't notice it at time of delivery - stars were still in our eyes - LOL) :yup:

I HATE DEALER EMBLEMS ON MY CAR...:(
They are not paying me to advertise for them.

You may want to try this to get it off...
Get a piece of mono-filament fishing line...
Gently heat the emblem with a heat gun or a hair dryer...run the fishing line under one corner or under one end if you can.
Use a SAWING motion with the fishing line and it will cut the glue between the emblem and the car.
After removing the emblem...remove the left over glue with GOO GONE or equivalent...

Jim

SHOWGIRL
12-18-10, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much for your reply ! i don't think we want to tackle this ourselves - our luck we'll rip-off the entire trunk ! but from the sounds of it, paint 'not' should come =off with the emblem ?! :bigroll:
We'll let the dealer do it ! LOL thanks again
Don't know if this will work but it is a link to the back of our car (if it 'opens' )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9889/dtsrear2.jpg

RippyPartsDept
12-18-10, 01:58 PM
the risk in damaging the paint is only due to prying at it to pull it up off of trunk panel

that's why the method Jim mentions is popular with DIY people since the only risk there is getting it too hot with your heat gun or blow dryer

and this is what we're talking about here

i think the 'leave it on they'll take better care of it' idea has some merit, but the truth is that if that is the case (your dealer treats cars they sell better than cars they don't) then you probably should be taking the car elsewhere... they're a cadillac dealership and should treat every single car that comes through as a prized posession - but we don't live in a perfect world and in my opinion you're just a likely to 'have a problem' with or without that dealer badge on the trunk ... it's all a roll of the dice

some shops have better reputations than others and are known for better work than others but you can't sell your house and move just to be near a really good dealership (nor should you have to)

SHOWGIRL
12-18-10, 02:32 PM
Hello and thanks for your reply - as always, so helpful and productive !! :thumbsup:

RippyPartsDept
12-18-10, 03:11 PM
no prob... i replied to your email just now... signing off for the afternoon... cya later people

tedcmiller
12-18-10, 08:38 PM
My dealer uses a simple silver letter (each letter must be removed individually - but it is easy to do) label. I have removed all the labels from all of the Cadillacs I bought from them (six). However. I also believe that identifying the car as coming from that dealer might result improved service. To this end, I have retained the dealer identity by leaving on the dealer provided license plate bracket. My wife, however, did not like the dealers new, reduced (new state law) license plate bracket and, so she now has work done without any dealer identification on the car. So far, nothing has been done since the ID was removed.

psc
12-18-10, 09:55 PM
Great tips--pulled mine off today.

c5 rv
12-19-10, 07:44 AM
Your service advisor knows if it is one of "their" cars as soon as they enter the VIN, license plate, or your name into the computer system. Heck, they know it when you call and make the appointment for service. Dealer badges and license plate frames are merely advertising. Most folks ignore them. Some hate them. Some like them as a sign of support for their local business community. The "Capitol Cadillac" badge on the back of my SRX was just crooked enough to bother me every time I washed the car.

SHOWGIRL
12-19-10, 01:10 PM
My dealer uses a simple silver letter (each letter must be removed individually - but it is easy to do) label. I have removed all the labels from all of the Cadillacs I bought from them (six). However. I also believe that identifying the car as coming from that dealer might result improved service. To this end, I have retained the dealer identity by leaving on the dealer provided license plate bracket. My wife, however, did not like the dealers new, reduced (new state law) license plate bracket and, so she now has work done without any dealer identification on the car. So far, nothing has been done since the ID was removed.
----------------------
HI - thanks for your reply -- did you see the px above your reply in Rippy Parts 'reply' - that's the car & the emblem ... my husband tends to agree with you ...he doesn't want to have it removed (recognition).
In any event, he's hesitant to try & remove this one himself ...this is the first 'white' car we've owned so any lable (other than all chrome letters which i find attractive actually) would be relatively prominate

O.K. - if this works it is the back of our car:

SHOWGIRL
12-19-10, 01:13 PM
Great tips--pulled mine off today.

did you need to heat it first ?

SHOWGIRL
12-19-10, 01:15 PM
Your service advisor knows if it is one of "their" cars as soon as they enter the VIN, license plate, or your name into the computer system. Heck, they know it when you call and make the appointment for service. Dealer badges and license plate frames are merely advertising. Most folks ignore them. Some hate them. Some like them as a sign of support for their local business community. The "Capitol Cadillac" badge on the back of my SRX was just crooked enough to bother me
every time I washed the car.
----------------------------------
thanks for replying ...never thought about what you wrote above (recognition methods)...
if this link works it's a pix of our car...

SHOWGIRL
12-19-10, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Superjim;2445428]I HATE DEALER EMBLEMS ON MY CAR...:(
They are not paying me to advertise for them.

You may want to try this to get it off...
Get a piece of mono-filament fishing line...
Gently heat the emblem with a heat gun or a hair dryer...run the fishing line under one corner or under one end if you can.
Use a SAWING motion with the fishing line and it will cut the glue between the emblem and the car.
After removing the emblem...remove the left over glue with GOO GONE or equivalent...
-----------------------
Thanks for replying ... my husband would never attempt to remove it himself - LOL
Don't know if this will work but it is a link to the back of our car that you can copy/paste to your browser & open....

tedcmiller
12-19-10, 02:05 PM
When I wrote my post about "recognition," I was thinking more about the technician doing the work than the service writer. After the technician (we used to call them "repairmen," but that is no longer "PC") takes the car, the service writer is not in the picture while the actual work is being done.

SHOWGIRL
12-19-10, 04:28 PM
When I wrote my post about "recognition," I was thinking more about the technician doing the work than the service writer. After the technician (we used to call them "repairmen," but that is no longer "PC") takes the car, the service writer is not in the picture while the actual work is being done.
---------------------------------------
hummm i 'hear' you !!!
thanks for replying

brk
12-19-10, 08:40 PM
Considering that most repair work happens under the hood, I doubt the average technician is first doing a walk-around to see where the car came from before he determines what level of service to provide.

Dealer stick-on crap is just gaudy eyesores on your car. When I order I new car I just tell the salesman "no advertising crap on the vehicle", and it's never been an issue.

Take the emblem off... either have the dealer do it, or do it yourself. You're NOT going to damage the car with a piece of fishing line or dental floss.

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-19-10, 09:12 PM
I use to buy old police cars with the holo stickers and what nots. I just let it sit in the sun, pour on *ever so slighty* your favorate alcohol, and a careful razorblade. Ive never had paint or clear come off, or have cut into the paint. I preffer a cleaner look, some people like chrome in all places, you could put another tag in its place if something does wrong.

Lev Blekher
12-20-10, 12:27 AM
Ya I love chrome all over the place. I took the dealer ad off my trunk using a hair dryer (not my mom's) small area at a time and gently peeling. Then alcohol to finish and water to clean. No damage at all.

tedcmiller
12-20-10, 12:40 AM
I doubt, also, that any service technician does a "walk around" to see if a car came from that dealership. However, he might see the license plate bracket while working on the rear of the car, going to get parts, going to lunch, or for any other numerous reasons. Note that I said I removed all dealership names except the license plate bracket. It never hurts to cover all the possibilites. My wife's DTS has no dealer advertising on it anywhere. My CTS-V has a dealer license plate bracket. Each to his own.

HartfordGuy
12-20-10, 10:36 AM
Dealer service departments need work whether warranty or not. Where the car came from doesn't really matter to them. They are just happy to have a full day of work to keep their crew busy. I've always told my employees to treat every service customer as a future buyer. You never know if that new face is someone trying you out because they got terrible service elsewhere or perhaps now lives or works in the area. Either way it is income for the service dept or better yet, they buy their next car from your dealership too.

383 LT1 SS
12-20-10, 12:57 PM
Another vote to remove. I have also de-badged my Suburban to clean up the tailgate by using the method outlined in the previous post. It is easy and you can do it!

383 LT1 SS

SHOWGIRL
12-20-10, 05:47 PM
Hello and thanks to all you kind DTS owners for your advices and help !! much appreciated !! ''SG'' :D

HartfordGuy
12-20-10, 06:46 PM
Add me to the list who peeled off the dealer decal. I had to. It was right where I wanted to put the V-series badge. :lildevil:

tedcmiller
12-20-10, 09:17 PM
A DTS is not a V car and will never be.

HartfordGuy
12-20-10, 09:49 PM
Lighten up Ted. Nobody is trying to defraud anyone. The V-series badge is a cheap way to make people look twice and smile.

Having one just means you are in on the joke.

I slapped one on the back of my DTS. A few months later when on vacation 3,000 miles away I saw a black DTS livery car with one on the trunk. I laughed out loud. Someone else has a sense of humor. Life is short. Live well and make people smile. It is contagious.

tedcmiller
12-21-10, 03:47 PM
Frankly, I find no humor in misleading people. Some of them might actually believe that Cadillac produces a DTS-V. I once listened to a trucker on the CB talking to another trucker about the "Mercedes motorcycle." I am done with this post and don't intent to open it again.

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-21-10, 05:32 PM
When I get done with my DTS try telling me theres no such thing. I will prove the nay-say-ers wrong :) Semper Fi

HartfordGuy
12-21-10, 06:12 PM
Frankly, I find no humor in misleading people. Some of them might actually believe that Cadillac produces a DTS-V. I once listened to a trucker on the CB talking to another trucker about the "Mercedes motorcycle." I am done with this post and don't intent to open it again.

How about: If you don't have anything nice to say.... Stay out of the DTS forum if you don't own one.

Superjim
12-21-10, 06:48 PM
How about: If you don't have anything nice to say.... Stay out of the DTS forum if you don't own one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:stirpot:

psc
12-21-10, 10:35 PM
did you need to heat it first ?

Mine pulled/pealed right off...it was one day old. LOL.

z06bigbird
01-11-11, 03:03 AM
Put the dealer logo on the door frame/panel next to the VIN. It will be hard for service writer to miss it--unless he reads the vin through the windshield.

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 01:09 PM
most do read through the windshield (at least we do)

Superjim
01-11-11, 02:21 PM
I haven't seen anyone read it off of the door in "YEARS"... :)

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 03:08 PM
only time I go to the door is for the DOT/NHTSA sticker for tires or the build date on that VIN sticker but usually the build date is in our parts catalog