: 6 Cars that will save GM

Playdrv4me
12-18-10, 02:59 AM
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/article/6-cars-that-will-save-gm-chevrolet-silverado/483185/

ben.gators
12-18-10, 04:06 AM
What about Buick Enclave? This car and its out-of -US market were among the main reasons that rescued Buick from discontinuation....

And I am not very optimistic about new Regal...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-10, 09:16 AM
Seems like a good list. We don't often consider how crucial the Equinox is to GM, but they make a solid point.

Jesda
12-18-10, 11:00 AM
The Regal will have a very slow climb.

ben.gators
12-18-10, 04:24 PM
By the way guys, where is Malibu? Malibu is doing pretty good even during the worst days of the GM, and I think because of its neat and clean interior and exterior design it will keep doing such a great job in future too.

billc83
12-18-10, 05:12 PM
The entirety of GM's fate lies on product. Strengthen Chevrolet, broaden Buick, and make Cadillac an upscale, no-comprimise luxury brand again.

Chevrolet needs to ditch the Aveo and make a fun, not complete pile of crap small car. Is the Cruze the replacement for the Cobalt? The pricing is WAY off (Cobalt starts at $15,670, Cruze $19,590!). Find a way to get the Cruze back down to ~$15K range if it is. Kill off the HHR if sales can't support it. Kill the Impala and make the top Chevrolet based off the G8 variant. Get the Malibu ready for the next-generation.

Start realizing that Buick has a whole lot of ground to cover. Pontiac owners aren't all going to move to Chevy. Lower the price of the Regal and it needs to have SOME semblance of sportiness to 1) appeal to former Pontiac owners who won't drop down to a Chevrolet and 2) differentiate it from the LaCrosse (priced within a few hundred dollars of eachother, seriously?). Make the LaCrosse the more cushy alternative. Keep updating the Lucerne and get the Enclave ready for Round 2. BMW is not competing against Lexus, it's competing with the other Second-Tier luxury brands (Acura, Lincoln, Volvo). If you must, keep making commercials saying you "Benchmarked it against the ES/LS/etc., but remember that Lexus buyers probably won't stoop to buying a Buick.

The ATS needs to start at $33,000 (AT LEAST) to keep it from stealing Buick sales and to price it competitively against BMW. Don't skimp on the details, the ATS is going up DIRECTLY AGAINST THE 3-SERIES. To do this, raise the price of the CTS accordingly and get the base price it to ~$38-39, undercutting the 5-Series by quite a bit. No one should be buying a CTS coupe for under $42. Get the XTS to market and base it around around $50K.

Keep inflating Cadillac prices over the years and GET THE FLAGSHIP READY. Don't cut a single corner; this is America's finest, damn it! The Flagship needs to start off at $65K. Undercut the other flagships ($70,650 7-Series, $91,000 S-Class, $65,000 LS, $72,700 XJ) but don't skimp on the details because you know they won't. Keep the XTS around until the rising CTS pricing squeezes it into oblivion.

ben.gators
12-18-10, 05:49 PM
:yeah:
I agree with most of the parts, except following parts:

Impala: Although impala is not a very attractive car for private buyers, it is the best fleet sedan of the US now and GM needs to keep and improve it.
Lucerne: I guess Buick needs to find a replacement for this car or at least Buick needs to introduce a new generation of Lucerne... Lucerne could not attract the former Park avenue and Lesabre owners....

Playdrv4me
12-18-10, 06:04 PM
I'd venture to say that the Cruze is far more important to GM's immediate future than the Volt could ever hope to be. However I agree that an "XFE" version needs to start somewhere between 15 and 17k.

billc83
12-18-10, 06:48 PM
The Volt is almost a non-player. It's a niche vehicle.

My reasoning behing getting rid of the current Impala is that it is stealing buyers from the Malibu, and the Malibu is supposed to be Chevy's new, improved sedan for the everyman.

hueterm
12-18-10, 08:10 PM
If the 10 year old Impala can steal buyers from the Malibu, that says more about the Malibu, to me... I'd never have one of those...I hit my head every time I get into it.

gdwriter
12-19-10, 12:57 AM
I want to see a RWD Impala based on the G8 with a V8, triple taillights and the leaping impala emblem.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-19-10, 09:45 AM
The Impala, in it's current form, seems redundant to me. It's priced and sized too closely to the Malibu to make economic sense to offer both models. I'd imagine that the Malibu sells a lot better to the public market (not counting rentals) and is much sharper looking and way more fun to drive. The Impala is a holdover from the dark days at GM and should be put to pasture soon.

Playdrv4me
12-19-10, 06:13 PM
I agree about the Impala. I know that it is popular with fleets and law enforcement, but outside from that all it does is cannibalize potential sales from the Malibu, which is now a far better car in my eyes. Drop the Impala and give the Malibu the SS treatment with the 5.3. If it fits in the Impala, I'm sure it can be squeezed into the Malibu.

hueterm
12-19-10, 07:44 PM
I still say the Malibu is too small... I nearly cracked my C6 vertebra (or whichever one is the one that determines whether you die or you're paralyzed from the neck down) trying to get in one... The roof wraps so far down the side of the car, and the seat is so high (it was manual)...

I didn't get in the back, but it couldn't be pleasant... However, I agree that the Impala should be replaced by the G8 platform, and then an even larger Caprice goes in above that... I don't have any special affinity to the current Impala, other than it's roomy...

Aron9000
12-20-10, 03:28 AM
I didn't get in the back, but it couldn't be pleasant... However, I agree that the Impala should be replaced by the G8 platform, and then an even larger Caprice goes in above that... I don't have any special affinity to the current Impala, other than it's roomy...

The Toyota Avalon offers A LOT more space in the back seat than the current Impala, both are the same size.

Jesda
12-20-10, 03:58 AM
Yeah but a new Impala is like $10 with volume discounts.

ben.gators
12-20-10, 04:49 AM
OK, let's take a look back at history....

Chevrolet Caprice was the main police vehicle in US and therefore it had a pretty stable sales number! GM suddenly discontinued such a successful car and replaced it with Lumina and I am sure they had good reasons for it in terms of technology, fuel millage, etc.... But we all know what happened after that! GM simply handed this segment of market (fleet car, more specifically police cars) to Ford!

So why should GM repeat the same mistake again? I know all you guys like to see a nice RWD 8 cylinder car, or prefer to give Malibu more space to play, they all are great ideas, but none of them should result in losing this segment of market by putting a sudden stop to Impala.... There are dozen of other car makers that are ready to steal costumers in this segment of market from GM!

Jesda
12-20-10, 04:52 AM
GM will downsize until the only thing left is the Cruze.