: OnStar Phone Minutes

stevec5375
12-17-10, 08:09 PM
I got an email from OnStar reminding me that my 149 remaining phone minutes are going to expire on 02/01/11. If I renew at 200 more minutes for $69.99, they'll roll over my existing minutes.

Frankly, it pisses me off that I have to pay for more minutes when I have 149 left. I rarely use the OnStar phone except to get routes downloaded via Virtual Adivsor.

I think expiring minutes is a total crock and should be illegal. :rant2:

drjdan
12-17-10, 10:07 PM
When you get maps--do you mean when you have OnStar download a route to your nav system?

TheCaptain
12-18-10, 11:26 AM
Uh, OnStar minutes shouldn't be being used when talking to OnStar/downloading directions... i thought they only got used when using the "Phone"?

stevec5375
12-18-10, 12:38 PM
Uh, OnStar minutes shouldn't be being used when talking to OnStar/downloading directions... i thought they only got used when using the "Phone"?

I hope you are right because I have no intention of paying for more in-car phone minutes. 100 minutes cost $39.99. That is approx. $0.40/minute. The ONLY reason I can see for having the in-car minutes is if you should accidentally forget your own cell phone. That is why I signed up for the initial minutes. I didn't realize that they would expire. But the crux of it is that I can keep my 149 minutes if I'm willing to pay $69.99 for 200 minutes. It's just not worth it since I don't use the in-car phone at all.

Willo
12-18-10, 05:37 PM
I had the same situation when my minutes were set to expire a couple of months ago.

When you call OnStar, ask to have the call escalated to a supervisor...let the supervisor know how many unused minutes you have and ask, as an effort to keep a paying customer happy, they would roll over the minutes for another year without you having to remit anything.

In my case, it was handled without any issues. The person was very pleasant about doing it.

I have done this for several years, since the minutes on my SRX were rolled over from another car.

The minutes are only used for placing calls or receiving them, not contacting OnStar for anything, including directions.

I view this minute inventory as a safety/ peace-of-mind issue. If you forget your cell phone, your family can call the car; as well as you being able to contact somebody. Should you cell battery die, you have the ability to reach/be reached. The other bonus is that the range for reception/sending calls is much better than a handheld cell phone.

Ponyman
12-19-10, 04:21 PM
Phone minutes are used only when using the in car phone. As long as your OnStar is active, it cost no minutes to speak with an advisor, download directions etc. I have had several GM cars with OnStar, and when you sign up for the initial minutes, if you are PAYING ATTENTION, they tell you that the minutes will expire after one year. The deal they initially give you the first year is usually very cheap and we normally get it, but unless they offer the same cheap rate, and many times they will if pressed, we don't renew after the first year.
I have had instances where there was no signal on my ATT cell phone, but was able to place a call with the in car phone. To us is it worth it, probably not. Just like OnStar itself, it isn't worth it till you need it.

mm9351
12-19-10, 09:34 PM
When I signed up for OnStar, they gave me 330 minutes for like $12; deal was too good to pass up.

Also brings piece of mind when I leave the house without my cell phone. The vehicle has a local phone number as well!

Signal strength and quality is great, and best of all I can dial a number by just saying it!

Using a stored voice tag, you can just say "call home" and it does the rest! Just like ET :}

drjdan
12-19-10, 10:37 PM
I did the same $12 deal for 300 minutes. I have iPhone, but don't used the bluetooth in car with it as I wear a bluetooth headset all time and no need to switch to car vs. headset. It is nice to be able to call a POI from the nav menu using OnStar without have to lookup or keyin on cell phone. I unlimited minutes on my cell so no issue with usage. I even use the cell at my desk in my office as my office phone forwards to cell after three rings.

Dean5101
12-29-10, 12:05 PM
The vehicle has a local phone number as well!

Just curious, how do you find the local phone number? :P I signed up for a 60 minute package (figured I'd use it in an emergency!)

Ponyman
12-29-10, 01:00 PM
They usually give it to you when your are signing up. Also they eventually send out a card with the car's phone number on it, but the easiest way would be to punch the blue OnStar button and ask the advisor to give it to you. I am sure they will.

bobarry
12-29-10, 09:25 PM
I got an email from OnStar reminding me that my 149 remaining phone minutes are going to expire on 02/01/11. If I renew at 200 more minutes for $69.99, they'll roll over my existing minutes.

Frankly, it pisses me off that I have to pay for more minutes when I have 149 left. I rarely use the OnStar phone except to get routes downloaded via Virtual Adivsor.

I think expiring minutes is a total crock and should be illegal. :rant2:

All I do is talk nice to them and they extend expiration of the minutes! Still using the original minutes from the first owner for the past 3+ years.
Bo

larryk
12-30-10, 10:55 AM
Just curious, how do you find the local phone number? :P I signed up for a 60 minute package (figured I'd use it in an emergency!)

Call yourself at home, and look at the caller ID?

TheCaptain
12-31-10, 10:26 AM
Call yourself at home, and look at the caller ID?

I do that and all it ever says is "Private Caller". No matter whom i call. :yup:

Grizz262
01-01-11, 07:36 PM
I received the same email, when I called to complain they explained (not very well though) that if I renew my Onstar, the minutes will roll over.

KevinOpp
01-14-11, 09:44 PM

i could swear there was a place to see it in the Config--->Phone menu. take a look there.

mm9351
01-16-11, 12:31 PM
Hello All,

If you have the OnStar "mylink" app, under the "home" tab, you can see your vehicle's assigned phone number, minutes left, and an expiration date for those minutes. :ill:

Hope this helps!

NJRonbo
01-20-11, 09:02 AM
It shouldn't be so odd that I found this thread.

Last year I purchased Onstar minutes. As of
yesterday I had 304 minutes that expired a
month before my Onstar renewal.

Suffice to say, I wrote a very angry letter to
Onstar letting them know that I will not be
renewing next month.

Expiring phone minutes? When someone said
this should be illegal, they were correct. I cannot
believe that Onstar is nickel-and-diming their
customers for extra phone minutes on top of the
$200-$300 they are charging per year for service.

Quite simply, if you purchase phone minutes,
they should be good for as long as you remain
an Onstar subscriber -- no matter how many
years are involved.

Don't you think that constitutes good business?

I was ready to renew my subscription next
month but now have decided that I will never
subscribe to Onstar as long as they continue
to squeeze more money out of their subscribers
with phone minutes that expire.