: Squeaky headliner is driving me nuts

WesH8398
12-17-10, 03:38 AM
I'm sure lots of you have had the pleasure of dealing with this, and I'm just wondering if there's some type of magical fix. I have a squeaky spot right on the edge of the sunroof, above where my passenger's head would be, and also one or two near the back where the headliner meets the rear window. Driving down bumpy roads on cold days makes the car sound like a total POS and it's driving me crazy! Any advice?

Houdini
12-17-10, 08:52 AM
I'm having a rattling/buzzing noise from the exact spot you mention near the sunroof on passenger side. I can't figure it out. My sunroof is getting replaced because it is loose so I was hoping that would fix it when they change out the frame rails. I doubt that will be the fix though.

D3l7a3ch0
12-17-10, 09:17 AM
I hope this isn't in my future... I accidentally pulled on the edge of the headliner thinking it was the sun visor. yanked a couple times, actually. oops

WesH8398
12-18-10, 04:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it's whatever clips they use to attach the headliner to the roof that are squeaking. If I knew how to pull the headliner down and detach these clips temporarily without damaging anything, I would investigate further, but I don't want to wreck anything. Right now I know exactly where to push up on the headliner to minimize the squeaking, but it's only temporary. It's like I push the clip tighter together so it moves less, but eventually it loosens up again.

kevm14
12-18-10, 09:28 AM
I have a noise that seems to be coming from that area but I think it's the sunroof in my case.

darkman
12-18-10, 10:43 AM
See attached.

WesH8398
12-22-10, 03:51 AM
See attached.

You're awesome! Is that actually a TSB? IE Can I have the dealership fix this for me?

I can't quite tell from the picutres in there ... where exactly are they adding that flocking tape? If it's up near the "front" (or windshield) end of the sunroof, that's not really where my noise comes from. I can very easily replicate the "squeak" by pushing up on the headliner an inch or two out from the passenger side of the sunroof, around the middle point of the sunroof. For example, when my wife's in the passenger seat I'm basically reaching right above her noggin to push up on the spot that squeaks.

darkman
12-22-10, 10:49 AM
It is in fact a TSB. You could use the TSB number for discussion with a dealership - they will presumably have an original. Since I don't have a moon/sun roof I can't help you with the details.

BirdmanTamu
12-22-10, 11:58 AM
That is sooooo awesome! I've always wanted to know how to fix this without just taking things apart.

I couldn't help but notice the TSB says to just use the flocking tape in between the center support and frame rails. What about tightening up those torx screws as well? Just a thought...

lucasmartin
12-22-10, 12:23 PM
This post is like Christmas to me. Mine started about a week ago and it drives me absolutely nuts. Thank you darkman for the pdfs. I will definitely be acting on this ASAP. Thanks everyone!

Houdini
12-22-10, 12:28 PM
Dealership just put in a brand new sunroof today and i no longer hear the buzzing or noises up in the headliner. SWEET!

lucasmartin
12-23-10, 09:35 AM
I think this may be temperature related? I'm in central Florida and I noticed this last week when it was very cold here (for us). This morning, the low was in the 50s and it did not rattle at all on the way to work. It isn't supposed to be in the 30s here until next Tuesday so I'll check again. It rarely gets that cold so I may be ok.

WesH8398
12-23-10, 03:26 PM
I think this may be temperature related? I'm in central Florida and I noticed this last week when it was very cold here (for us). This morning, the low was in the 50s and it did not rattle at all on the way to work. It isn't supposed to be in the 30s here until next Tuesday so I'll check again. It rarely gets that cold so I may be ok.

It is somewhat temp related, except mine doesn't go away when it's warm, it just gets better. I would say the temp has an indirect relationship with the squeaking, as I think it's more the expansions/contraction of the bits and pieces than the temp itself that makes it squeak more or less.

mitchntx
12-24-10, 12:43 PM
LOL ... flocking tape.

My rattle was around the upper console where the sun roof and inside light control are.
It appeared the back side of the assembly was rattling against the metal roof.
I was able to "fix" it by folding a paper towel and shoving it between the headliner and roof, just in front of the sunroof.

Ghetto? maybe. But it no longer rattles and I don't have dealership lackeys taking the V for a "test drive". I haven't had good luck in that department.

D3l7a3ch0
12-25-10, 08:27 PM
LOL ... flocking tape.

My rattle was around the upper console where the sun roof and inside light control are.
It appeared the back side of the assembly was rattling against the metal roof.
I was able to "fix" it by folding a paper towel and shoving it between the headliner and roof, just in front of the sunroof.

Ghetto? maybe. But it no longer rattles and I don't have dealership lackeys taking the V for a "test drive". I haven't had good luck in that department.

+1 "thanks for the props but please pay attention and do your job" (is what I find myself thinking)

WesH8398
12-27-10, 04:25 PM
For clarification ... must a dealership fix issues stated in such TSB's free of charge? Or are these only free when you're within warranty?

Houdini
12-27-10, 04:37 PM
No, a dealer DOES NOT fix TSB issues free of charge and out of warranty. Even under warranty, a dealer doesn't have to perform the solution outlined in a TSB. TSBs are kind of like notices to dealers about a solution to common problems with a vehicle. They are for informational purposes only. The only thing that would be free out of warranty is an official safety recall.

darkman
12-27-10, 04:40 PM
Officiaily, a TSB, in and off itself, does not require a dealer to fix a particular problem either within or outside of the warranty. It merely communcates to the dealer that there is a known fix for a particular problem if it is encountered.

Unofficially, TSBs often provide clear documentation of a known weakness or potential problem with the vehicle.

kevm14
12-27-10, 05:14 PM
The frustrating part is when a TSB would clearly improve the quality or reliability of the car, even if the symptoms are currently not present. This is typical when there was a design issue, and it's simply "a matter of time" before your vehicle displays the stated symptoms. In these cases, there isn't much you can do except hope you have a good relationship with your dealer.

WesH8398
12-27-10, 06:18 PM
Damnit ... I was hoping I could waltz into the local dealership and get 'er done for nothing. It's unfortunately full of d-bag a-holes in there, so there's no way that they'll do me any favours.

kevm14
12-27-10, 07:38 PM
Depending on how much it bothers you it might be worth a couple hundred bucks. It's all labor.

WesH8398
12-27-10, 09:55 PM
True. Personally, there's no way I'm payin someone (especially this particular stealership) to stick some tape between 2 squeaky surfaces. I was just looking forward to NOT having to do something myself (and not having to pay). Ugh...
Any how-to's on headliner removal without busting clips and so on?

darkman
12-27-10, 10:11 PM
Did someone say headliner?

WesH8398
12-28-10, 07:03 AM
Thanks a million Darkman! I'm gonna owe you a LOT of beers if we ever run into eachother!

WesH8398
01-25-11, 09:17 AM
Holy shit!!! The whole damn car has to come apart to get that headliner off!! Ok...so...any other remedies for the squeakyness? lol