: Replace '78 Deville buzzer with a chime.

pompste
12-17-10, 01:43 AM
Is there anyway to replace the annoying "buzzer" with a more pleasant sounding chime on a '78 Deville? If so, where is the buzzer located and how to access it?
Thanks for any help.

deVille33
12-17-10, 08:14 AM
The buzzer is located on the side of the fuse block. I don't know if it will interchange with the later chimes.

Bro-Ham
12-17-10, 05:06 PM
FYI, 1979 was the first year for chimes for "fasten seat belt" reminder, the "headlights on" was still a buzzer in 79 though.

pompste
12-17-10, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info dudes! I just hate that annoying buzzer as soon as i start the car.I suppose just wearing the seat belt would stop that buzzer.I`d wear it more but as you know,fastening the belt on these older boats requires 2 hands rather than just 1 hand on the later models since the belt receptacle just lays there on my '78, and the receptacle is fixed in a rigid position on my '95 making it a 1 handed quick click.
I don`t mind the buzzer for headlights on and leaving the keys in the ignition,since i rarely do either----but if i could replace it with a chime,i would.I like the chime on my '95----it just sounds classier and more appropriate for a Cadillac luxury ride.

deVille33
12-18-10, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure about this, but I think the '77's had the seat belt recepticale sleeves also. Problem is, here in the Nor'east, the sleeves didn't stand up to the temperature change cold of Winter for very long. My green '77 had them.

pompste
12-18-10, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure about this, but I think the '77's had the seat belt recepticale sleeves also. Problem is, here in the Nor'east, the sleeves didn't stand up to the temperature change cold of Winter for very long. My green '77 had them.

It`s real possible the seat belt receptacles on the '77`s and up models had sleeves,since yours did.I know my '78 Deville does "not" though,passenger belt no sleeve either.I don`t see any evidence of any partially cracked leftover pieces either.I guess i`ll just have to start belting up or belt it behind me to stop the irritating buzzer at startup.

bicentennialcadillac
12-18-10, 04:52 PM
Buckling up is the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

pompste
12-18-10, 06:52 PM

Very true dude! I wish i could configure some type of firm sleeve for the receptacle so i could just pull the belt over with one hand and click it quick.I`m a big dude,6'3" 240 pounds,and fumbling around with my right hand to find the receptacle then getting the buckle and receptacle to meet is`nt easy for me.

Aron9000
12-19-10, 01:16 AM

:werd: Pretty sure the reason I walked away without a scratch from running into a telephone pole at 30mph head on was the seatbelt, and the airbag.

pompste
12-19-10, 02:11 AM
:werd: Pretty sure the reason I walked away without a scratch from running into a telephone pole at 30mph head on was the seatbelt, and the airbag.

No airbags in my '78.Just wondering why you ran into a telephone pole head on----if you choose to let us know.
Glad to hear you`re OK!