: HELP with my nav system

ogamiitto
12-17-10, 01:13 AM
Out of the blue and after 5 years of no problems, the nav system is giving me an "error" message: "disc not readable" and, at times, the route calculation comes and goes from the center window at the bottom of the system display. :banghead:

Do any of you "V-Heads" have a experience or suggested solution?

thanks

Michael

D3l7a3ch0
12-17-10, 01:25 AM
maybe the disc isn't readable... teasing. is it scratched, or a burned DVD?

hardware-wise, i don't know what the nav system uses, but from my computer experience I know that... the silicone in CPUs burns out after 3-5 years... but a computer spends a lot more time running than a car does.

could be dust on the laser or the track it moves on. maybe try a cleaning kit? it looks like a dvd with a tiny brush that wipes the laser surface as it passes

CancerJCC
12-17-10, 04:51 PM
^^^ What he said. If that doesn't fix it pony up the $600 for a used unit from ebay....

Black Sunshine
12-17-10, 04:58 PM
I have had the same issue intermittently over the last year or so. I'm running a 2009 Mitsubishi disc (practically new with no visible scratches/smudges). I believe it has to do with heat build up in the center console when the heater is on for long periods. As soon as I either change to just fan (blowing cold outside air) or turn on the air conditioner and cool things down the issues disappear.

If the nav ever does die then it's time for the aftermarket radio/nav mod.

zinner
12-20-10, 12:47 AM
My best guess it the DVD motor / eye has given out. Happened on another nav unit I had. If the disk looks fine and is readable in a DVD drive in say your computer it's the drive in the nav unit.

cts-v ls6
12-22-10, 11:46 PM
Same thing happened to me a couple of times ('04V with 170k miles). I ran a "CD/DVD Cleaning Disc" in the unit (same one I use on my Apple laptop) and it cured it. The drives do get dirty.

Jack