: Burnouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

92brougham
09-22-04, 07:37 PM
Hey guys! i know this is bad but sometimes u just get curious when you have a LT! beast lurking under that hood...i turned off the traction control on my 96 brougham and floored the gas at a stop...i didnt hold onto the brake or anything...just let it peel out and roll.....i noticed everytime only my passenger side wheel spins out but the drivers side never does....this was also the case with my 87 brougham and my 92 brougham...why does it do that? how do i get both wheels to spin out?

HotRodSaint
09-22-04, 07:41 PM
You purchase an Eaton posi-traction rear end.

92brougham
09-22-04, 08:03 PM
how much does one cost?

scurling
09-22-04, 08:03 PM
Lol

Night Wolf
09-22-04, 09:06 PM
yeah, you need posi

burnouts are fun :)

I took a turn, doing about 10mph, then nailed the gas (driving the '79 DeVille) and she spun 'em.... it was peg-legged (right tire) I just kept my foot into it... shifted into 2nd at 55mph, spun *both* tires, then the left tire slowly started to grip, speedo passed 85, then she shifted into 3rd, again, spun both tires for a second, then the left tire started to grip... the speedo was pinned (car was doing 35mph tops...) and then I had to let off the gas to get ready to make a turn....

I would do it more, but my tires are worn, so I want to save as much as I could.... BUT, I do have some cool pics to back it up :)

BTW, LT1 is a nice engine.... but you just can't beat a big block Cadillac under the hood :lildevil:

The fourth pic is a differnt time, I got both tires to spin :burn:

first pic is the rubber.... I drove back and made a big loop... probably 5minutes total... but when I stopped, got out and took the pics... I steped over the rubber marks, and the rubber stuck to my shoe, it was still melted... that was nice....

2rd pic... upshift into 2nd... even though the Turbo 400 shifts slow and smooth... it still broke the left tire loose and put rubber down.

3rd pic... at the end of the trail of rubber looking back... I would say that had to have been 70 feet or so....

HotRodSaint
09-22-04, 09:41 PM
how much does one cost?

Funny you shuold ask!

Folow the link below the picture, on the first page their is a link to the place I purchased my kit. I think it was around $500.

FASSTWOOD
09-22-04, 10:17 PM
You need the eaton! I did that and changedthe gears whle i was at it. I put 3.73's in. I got the complete setupfrom Dan at Clear Image Automotive (http://www.clearimageautomotive.com)

HotRodSaint
09-22-04, 10:31 PM
You need the eaton! I did that and changedthe gears whle i was at it. I put 3.73's in. I got the complete setupfrom Dan at Clear Image Automotive (http://www.clearimageautomotive.com)

That's where I got it too. But I bought 3.42's.

What do you think of the 3.73's on the highway?

abcdefg
09-25-04, 04:45 PM
Its nice that something with a detuned engine like that can lay down a pattern of rubber. Maybe there is still hope for my 1977 (havent driven it yet)

Night Wolf
09-25-04, 06:00 PM
eh... my enigne dosn't have the power it should.... I know the carb can use a rebuild as it acts funny sometimes... I also want to do something with the car... there is no more 425 build up this winter, I have a new winter project... but any mods for free or little money are always fun....

...I bought (then returned) a nice 14" Edelborck chrome open element air filter assembly.... it didn't fit... hit the AC compressor.... the 9" oculd probably fit, but that would look stouid, so I cleaned the origanal one up and repainted it (surface rust all over) and it looks really good.... my next project with the '79 is cleaning the rest of the engine bay up....

a 2.24 open rear end on these cars dosn't help acceleration or power much either :)

FASSTWOOD
09-25-04, 09:48 PM
That's where I got it too. But I bought 3.42's.

What do you think of the 3.73's on the highway?

The 3.73's are great. Not bad on the highway. I do notice the revs being a little higher at 65 mph. I still have some shifting issues that I'm trying to work out with my PCM programming. I'm at about 5500 rpm doing 109mph in third. If fourth gear would kick in, then everything would be alright.

bryan1970
09-26-04, 02:11 PM
as far as good burn outs go the best looking ones are the kind when the car just sits still and melts the tire/s off. i have found that the best way to do that is put the front tires on a speed bump much like the ones in my school parking lot. and do a little power braking and the tire should easily start spinning. my buddies were standing outside of the car when i did it and they said it was spinning and al the sudden smoke stated coming out of nowhere. and i did leave a respectable 36ft of rubber on other student's reserved parking spaces :shhh:

to help give someinfo on why it only burns the right rear. the only thing i can think of is that when you power brake the car the torque from the engine is trying to turn the whole rear end since the tires aren't moving and when it tries to twist the whole rear end it lifts up on the car distributing the wheight off the right rear tire which allows for the tire to break loose.

yeah by the way caddy big blocks are better than a GM LT1 :D

7.0,hellyeah
09-27-04, 08:31 PM
Mine aint posi neither. I Just took the exhaust off and the damned thing roasts em nicely. Not as well as I'd like but it does. It wont power brake easily either. When the engine is nice and warm it will though. I love big-blocks! :yup:As far as the 14" element not fitting, try a 1" riser, if that doesnt work you might as well just take out the A/C assembly. I did and I live in a place where it gets pretty damn hot. At least 115 sometimes, 130 on the leather. It just holds back the engine. I've got the same assembly with a K&N element. I talked to a drag racer and he says to get the ram-air assembly because by taking in hot air via an open element you lose horses. He's got an 8-second car. It did give mine balls though.

FASSTWOOD
09-27-04, 09:13 PM
Here ya go fellas!!!
burnout1 (http://www.edsautos.com/images/burnout1.wmv)

burnout2 (http://www.edsautos.com/images/burnout2.wmv)

burnout3 (http://www.edsautos.com/images/cimg1337.avi)

I should of held mine a little longer but I didn't wanna kill my new rubber!!!

http://www.edsautos.com/images/cimg1333.jpg

SupaFly
09-28-04, 07:14 PM
So I gotta pay $500 to do a burnout?

FASSTWOOD
09-28-04, 08:55 PM

18's ain't cheap, ya know!!!

DopeStar 156
09-28-04, 08:58 PM
Haha I used to do those all the time with my Lincoln. But I just bought new tires for my Caddy, so I wouldn't.

HotRodSaint
09-28-04, 09:43 PM

No, your car with the stock tires will light up the right rear wheel very, very easily. Hold the brake, apply the gas and let go of the brake.

For 500.00 you can get both wheels to lay rubber!

HotRodSaint
09-28-04, 09:47 PM
18's ain't cheap, ya know!!!

I pretty much ruined the right tire in one pass. But my 5 year old nephew was so happy with all the smoke that it was worth every penny!

davesdeville
09-28-04, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty happy, cause today I finally got around to adjusting the timing on my car, now I can do one wheel peels at least. Even with the 2.28's. I do wish my car came with the 3.07s and the "controlled differential" option.

SupaFly
09-29-04, 09:42 AM
What does the posi traction do though?

HotRodSaint
09-29-04, 11:19 AM
What does the posi traction do though?

Posi-traction, which I beleive was GM's word. Literally means positive traction.

Currently in your stock FW, if your right wheel looses traction, you aren't going to move without outside help. With posi, the traction will shift to your left wheel.

SupaFly
09-29-04, 11:25 AM
So why won't they both move without this?

HotRodSaint
09-29-04, 11:39 AM
So why won't they both move without this?

How Differentials Work (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm)

Now what happens if one of the drive wheels has good traction, and the other one is on ice? This is where the problem with open differentials comes in.

Remember that the open differential always applies the same torque to both wheels, and the maximum amount of torque is limited to the greatest amount that will not make the wheels slip. It doesn't take much torque to make a tire slip on ice. And when the wheel with good traction is only getting the very small amount of torque that can be applied to the wheel with less traction, your car isn't going to move very much.

92brougham
09-29-04, 09:47 PM
What is the difference of the different size gears? like 3.42 and 3.73? what does this do?

davesdeville
09-29-04, 10:03 PM
If you have a 2.28 rear gear, the wheel will spin at 1/2.28 times the rate at which the driveshaft is spinning. If you have a 3.73, the wheel will spin at 1/3.73 times. You'll have 3.73/2.28= 1.64 times more effective torque at the wheels with the 3.73s as opposed to the 2.28s. You will have a 1.64 times higher top speed with the 2.28s (not accounting for drag, just engine rpm).

92brougham
09-29-04, 10:12 PM
wouldnt putting a upgraded gear in the back screw up alot of things like ur tranny, speedometer and all the other things???? is there a way to put a 3.42 or a 3.73 on and adjust everything else to make it work like stock yet have the torque like a real hot rod?

FASSTWOOD
09-29-04, 10:54 PM
Not if you reprogram the pcm with the right ratio's and new tranny shift points :drinker :cool:

SupaFly
09-30-04, 07:33 AM
Oh, I got it now. :confused:

carguy16
10-04-04, 12:00 PM
Ok guys, the 5.7 ltr, with 185 HP and 300 torque can probably do the same burn out??? That should be plenty? The LS1 only has 330 Torque...

DaveSmed
10-04-04, 12:29 PM
With the posi diff, think of it as a mechanism that limits the speed difference between the rear wheels. With an open differental, one can be cooking at 120mph and the other just sitting there (not recommended btw...) With positraction, they are forced to being within a certain speed of each other (to allow for cornering and such)

Davesdeville, check this out, calculates top speed based on overdrive ratio, tire size, and final drive ratio. http://www.mysportscar.com/tools/topspeed.htm

RBraczyk
10-04-04, 01:56 PM
Posi slip is also essential in off roading incase you get slippage from one tire when your climbing. When you have a locker, both axles spin as one. Me, i have posi slip, but i have too many miles to do burnouts.

HotRodSaint
10-05-04, 12:43 PM
I can't enter my driveway with the stock rear end. The chassis twist lifts the right tire high enough to loose traction. Once posi is installed, I can enter anyway I choose.

Maybe this week, if time permits.

FASSTWOOD
10-05-04, 01:00 PM
Man! That's some driveway! Keeps us posted. Its a lot a fun to go sideways with my tank on dry pavement!!!

abcdefg
10-09-04, 04:48 PM
Is the controlled differential option posi-track? Ive gotten stuck in a gravel parking lot on a hill, and my cadillac dug a few inches for about 5 feet, both left and right.

When i back up about 5mph or faster with the steering wheel cranked all the way, the differential will make a clunk sound. It just about stops the car, so i have to lay into the gas pedal. Is this the differential locking up or what? i know if it starts to burn rubber, it will clunk again and the tires bark like i ran over a dog (maybe i did hit a dog).