: 2005 STS Wont Accelerate

RayJham
12-16-10, 07:32 PM
i have a 2005 STS when i put it in drive it wont accelerate when i press on the gas it makes a noise but when i put it in reverse it will accelerate when i press on the gas i took it to a car shop (not the Cadillac dealer) and they cant figure out whats wrong please help me, Christmas is coming up and i need to buy gift for my kids and get them to school

turnerbend
12-16-10, 08:55 PM
Are you saying it will go backward but not forward. My sure your emergency brake is released. You may have a transmission problem.

M.A.C
12-16-10, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a torque converter engagement problem. Did the dealer tell you if there were any transmission codes? I find it hard to believe that there is no acceleration and no codes. I would look at the gear linkage to make sure that when the shifter is engaged in drive the linkage is in its proper location. Perhaps if you try to move the shifter ever so slightly above drive and below drive it may give you an indication that something is not right with the linkage. Be very careful if you try this. I wouldn't even try to accelerate at first. I would just see if the transmission bumps as though the gears are catching. This may be a totally idiotic idea and others may chime in and say forget it.

dkozloski
12-16-10, 09:54 PM
A shop with an advanced code reader will be able to pull transmission codes. Joe Scooterberry's Dirt Floor Garage won't have this capability.

RayJham
12-17-10, 02:11 PM
Are you saying it will go backward but not forward. My sure your emergency brake is released. You may have a transmission problem.

i took it to my car shop (the the caddillac shop) and they said its not the transmission

RayJham
12-17-10, 02:13 PM
A shop with an advanced code reader will be able to pull transmission codes. Joe Scooterberry's Dirt Floor Garage won't have this capability.

would u happen to know a shop?

turnerbend
12-17-10, 06:07 PM
i took it to my car shop (the the caddillac shop) and they said its not the transmission

Just what did they tell you?
I would be looking for another shop if that's all the info they gave you......

EChas3
12-17-10, 09:11 PM
It could be as simple as a bad wheel motion sensor (used by ABS & Traction Control) or any number of things.

Where are you located? How far is a big Cadillac dealer?

RayJham
12-19-10, 09:06 AM
Just what did they tell you?
I would be looking for another shop if that's all the info they gave you......

im sorry i meant to say i took it 2 my car shop (NOT the cadillac shop) and they said its not the transmission they also had some "professional" come in and run so tests and they said he cant figure out whats wrong with it

RayJham
12-19-10, 09:13 AM
It could be as simple as a bad wheel motion sensor (used by ABS & Traction Control) or any number of things.

Where are you located? How far is a big Cadillac dealer?

i am in southfield the dealer is about a 45min drive

EChas3
12-19-10, 09:58 AM
Do you have towing insurance? It usually only adds about $5 to a policy. Then I'd say just have a good towing company take it to a Cadillac dealer on a flatbed. Around here that would cost $75.

Techs that don't know these cars can do harm and waste your money.

1BadCadSTS
12-19-10, 10:13 AM
Try it in manual mode to see if it catches in any gears?

RayJham
12-19-10, 02:01 PM
Try it in manual mode to see if it catches in any gears?

how do you put it in manual mode?
isnt where you put it in drive and move it to the right with the + and the -?

SwissSTS
12-19-10, 04:41 PM
Do you have AWD?
For AWD there's a TSB for symptoms like that. The ouput shaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the transfer case need to be replaced.

RayJham
12-19-10, 09:27 PM
Do you have AWD?
For AWD there's a TSB for symptoms like that. The ouput shaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the transfer case need to be replaced.

i think i do have that but is there a way i can check so i can make sure?