: '06 DTS Performance Front Strut $800?? Really???

bluescat
12-16-10, 07:06 PM
Holy fercryinoutloud, Batman!!

$800 for a front strut? Parts only??

Mine is banging, but ride and handling is fine. Maybe I should just fix the problem by turning my hearing aids down when I drive.

Has anyone found an aftermarket product worth messing with?

enzod123
12-17-10, 08:27 AM
Mine is a 2001 DTS so it may or may not be the same for yours. My struts were shot too. Replaced them with passive struts meant to go into a DHS or Base Deville of the same year. $80 instead of $800 was very appealing to me. Still rides like a cadillac with no issues at all. Cut the electronic sensors off of the old ones with a sawzall and plugged them back into the harness. No SES light. I have only medium mechanical ability and managed the whole process in an afternoon. Good luck.

CaddiLukKing
12-17-10, 11:01 AM
I would never do that to my Caddi... NEVER!!!... ALWAYS GO WITH OEM. "if it were a BUICK or a Chevy i'd say yea go for it..." CHECK with your GM dealers for the same ACdelco part... do Not go to the Cadillac dealers, they add a Cadillac premium to every part. and then have your local trusted "certified" mechanic put them in for half the cost.
good luck

383 LT1 SS
12-17-10, 12:05 PM
Shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with a Chevy dealer that sells me OEM parts at 10% over dealer cost. He will ship the part directly to you. There is a huge mark up on OEM parts.

383 LT1 SS

Lev Blekher
12-17-10, 06:10 PM
Anyone who does that to a Cadillac should be neutered themselves. If you can't afford to do it proper then buy a toyota. Case in point, the previous owner of my car got into an accident and the moron replaced the front strut with a standard NAPA one. So I'm putting in the right one. Here is where I got it for $400 plus $100 shipping to my location, and I verified that it is OEM genuine: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/. I scoured the web and this is the cheapest site. Google Cadillac parts to compare. They have fast shipping too. Unless you do it yourself, like me, installation should only cost you a couple hundred at a mechanic, as this is a basic and easy job.

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-19-10, 01:38 PM
My 2 cents worth. If can afford to buy a Caddy buy the Caddy. They are great cars. If you cant afford to fix it, drive it broke and love your car. No sense in making lesser fortunate feeling unwelcome or picked on. Do the best you can! There is no such thing as impossiable.

383 LT1 SS
12-20-10, 10:17 AM
PM Replied to.

383 LT1 SS

TulsaVic
12-20-10, 12:26 PM
Bluescat: Describe "banging". I've started to notice a front end noise when going over small pavement imperfections, like cement seams or pavement cracks. No noise over larger bumps like potholes or pavement patches. It's almost like tapping on a cardboard box. Not loud, but noticeable.

RippyPartsDept
12-20-10, 12:37 PM
i can offer discounts on GM parts as well

ltdltc
12-20-10, 01:57 PM
Monroe makes a Magride replacement strut. That is priced around $350+

I would never do that to my Caddi... NEVER!!!... ALWAYS GO WITH OEM. "if it were a BUICK or a Chevy i'd say yea go for it..." CHECK with your GM dealers for the same ACdelco part...

K-Body cars are only available from Buick/Cadillac in the form of the Lucerne/DTS. And the parts cost is mostly the same.

claymond
12-21-10, 02:34 PM
They are not K-body cars but G-bodies the K-body was dropped in 2000.

ltdltc
12-21-10, 03:36 PM
They are not K-body cars but G-bodies the K-body was dropped in 2000.

Sorry but you've got that wrong.

2000+ Deville & 2006+ DTS are derived from the G-Body architecture but they are K-Bodies. If you'll look at the 4th digit of VIN it will indicate what body it is. Mine is K. The service manual Says K-Body Service Manual.

2006+ Lucernes are revised H-Bodies which are very similar to the K-Body .