Cadillac Owners Forum banner

V + Snow = NO GOOD

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  mcbsff 
#1 ·
Ok I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in Minnesota. I didn't have any problems. I just tried driving the V in an inch of snow, and I could go nowhere!!! I have 5/32nd tread on my F1 run flats, so I know they have some traction. Are these tires that bad that I can't go anywhere?!

#5 ·
Those tires are worthless! I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport snow tires (Run Flats) and they work awesome! Any snow tire will solve your problem. And don't waste your money on all season tires unless you get 1 inch of snow or less.

#6 ·
The F1 runflats are HORRIBLE in snow.

I tried to go up our street (a very slight grade) with about 1" of snow when I had about 14k miles on them five years ago. They were utterly and completely useless.

Geez, when they say "summer," they mean it.

#9 ·
Just got to try these Wintersport M3's for the first time. Got them put on earlier this week (just in time, as it happens):

Car was fine in the ice and slush on the road today. As good or better than our FWD cars with good all-season tires. I've also been pleased with their dry weather performance, they are about as grippy as the RS-A's were in the cold.

#11 ·
did u also drive 400 hp cars on summer rubber in the snow when growing up?

low temps + snow = winter tires. the title of your thread should be "Summer Tires + Snow = NO GOOD". It has nothing to do with the car.

They are Max Performance Summer tires, there is absolutely no reason to expect them to work on snow. The title should be "Summer tires + snow = NO GOOD", the V has nothing to do with it.
LOL! I saw this immediately after I posted!

#12 ·
I've got A/S tires on my V, but I'm still avoiding taking it out in the snow! I've got my workhorse '99 Cherokee for that. I really enjoyed the storm last winter when I drove up 10% grades with 15+ inches of unplowed snow. The V is great on a sunny day and clear roads, but you can't beat the Jeep when it gets nasty!

#13 ·
This guy had fun in the snow.

#16 ·
We can...just get some axles.

#22 ·
I bought a set of Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, because the run flats were shot, right after I bought my V a few months ago. Drove it in a little bit of snow on the way home from PA and in yesterday's snowfall. I drove carefully and didn't slip or slide on the roads. Only spun the tires trying to get up the little curb onto my driveway.

I drove my wife's 4Runner to a friend's house later in the evening in 2WD. I spun the tires even with the slightest tap of the gas. I like having the manual to modulate the power to the wheels better.

#26 ·
Those cradle spacers hardly help at all (maybe a 5-10% reduction in hop). The GForce Axles (buy both sides) completely cure the wheelhop on the street, unless it is rainy and wet outside. Also, I have never been to the drag strip (nor will I ever with this car), so I can't speak to the effectiveness of the axles in that situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.