: V + Snow = NO GOOD

msteno
12-16-10, 05:35 PM
Ok I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in Minnesota. I didn't have any problems. I just tried driving the V in an inch of snow, and I could go nowhere!!! I have 5/32nd tread on my F1 run flats, so I know they have some traction. Are these tires that bad that I can't go anywhere?!

JFensty
12-16-10, 05:46 PM
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin Snow tires with a little more than half tread. Driving throught 2-3 inches of snow and slush we had on Thanksgiving was a breeze. I was really amazed how well it handled the snow.

Andringa
12-16-10, 05:49 PM
They are Max Performance Summer tires, there is absolutely no reason to expect them to work on snow. The title should be "Summer tires + snow = NO GOOD", the V has nothing to do with it.

darkman
12-16-10, 05:51 PM
F! runflats, despite their great performance in dry heat, don't even work well in a summer rain. I can imagine what they must like in the snow - probabaly like driving on a sheet of glass covered with greased BBs.

JD03Cobra
12-16-10, 06:08 PM
Those tires are worthless! I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport snow tires (Run Flats) and they work awesome! Any snow tire will solve your problem. And don't waste your money on all season tires unless you get 1 inch of snow or less.

rand49er
12-16-10, 06:11 PM
The F1 runflats are HORRIBLE in snow.

I tried to go up our street (a very slight grade) with about 1" of snow when I had about 14k miles on them five years ago. They were utterly and completely useless.

Geez, when they say "summer," they mean it.

EdmundGTP
12-16-10, 06:33 PM
I had an original reply.. But if you cant say anything nice, you don't say anything... All I have is this..

:tard:

JDB
12-16-10, 06:35 PM
if you're from Minnesota, one would think you'd know better trying to use summer tires in teh snow.

...I've been fine on Blizzaks...

Aurora40
12-16-10, 06:46 PM
Just got to try these Wintersport M3's for the first time. Got them put on earlier this week (just in time, as it happens):

http://aurora40.dyndns.org/cadi/wintersport.jpg

Car was fine in the ice and slush on the road today. As good or better than our FWD cars with good all-season tires. I've also been pleased with their dry weather performance, they are about as grippy as the RS-A's were in the cold.

814V
12-16-10, 07:04 PM
The thought of the :v: in the snow scares me.

repenttokyo
12-16-10, 07:14 PM
Ok I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in Minnesota. I didn't have any problems. I just tried driving the V in an inch of snow, and I could go nowhere!!! I have 5/32nd tread on my F1 run flats, so I know they have some traction. Are these tires that bad that I can't go anywhere?!

did u also drive 400 hp cars on summer rubber in the snow when growing up?

low temps + snow = winter tires. the title of your thread should be "Summer Tires + Snow = NO GOOD". It has nothing to do with the car.

They are Max Performance Summer tires, there is absolutely no reason to expect them to work on snow. The title should be "Summer tires + snow = NO GOOD", the V has nothing to do with it.

LOL! I saw this immediately after I posted!

mstrjon32
12-16-10, 08:25 PM
I've got A/S tires on my V, but I'm still avoiding taking it out in the snow! I've got my workhorse '99 Cherokee for that. I really enjoyed the storm last winter when I drove up 10% grades with 15+ inches of unplowed snow. The V is great on a sunny day and clear roads, but you can't beat the Jeep when it gets nasty!

whisler151
12-16-10, 08:30 PM
This guy had fun in the snow.

6JNHFtRykXo

D3l7a3ch0
12-16-10, 10:05 PM
The thought of the :v: in the snow scares me.

yep, I want to report you to the authorities for :v: abuse

WesH8398
12-17-10, 04:28 AM
Whistler - dont you wish we could do that withOUT the snow and not have to worry about wheel hopping our cars into a million pieces? LOL

whisler151
12-17-10, 08:05 AM
Whistler - dont you wish we could do that withOUT the snow and not have to worry about wheel hopping our cars into a million pieces? LOL

We can...just get some axles.

QpKFWvowfnU

Twitch
12-17-10, 09:28 AM

QpKFWvowfnU
Or some bushings.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/IMG00248-20100513-0018.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/IMG00250-20100513-0018.jpg

Can't believe Randy had his V out in the snow,,,or rain, or clouds, or wind......

"Unprepared driver + anything = No good"

msteno
12-17-10, 10:16 AM
Thanks to those of you that had polite or experience related responses....it's much appreciated!

Ordering snow tires now!

KaMaSuTrA
12-17-10, 12:26 PM
I drove with the F1 A/S Runflats for my first winter in the V. They weren't the best but common sense and short shifting prevailed.

I burned through them after that so I ended up getting Blizzak LM-25Vs for the rear and they've been treating me good thus far.

repenttokyo
12-17-10, 03:22 PM
I burned through them after that so I ended up getting Blizzak LM-25Vs for the rear and they've been treating me good thus far.

this is also what I am running on my V.

Castro
12-17-10, 05:58 PM
Just got my Pirelli Sottozeros on, had one inch of snow so far and they work. You can still get it sideways whenever you want though so that's nice.

va79ta
12-17-10, 09:11 PM
I bought a set of Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, because the run flats were shot, right after I bought my V a few months ago. Drove it in a little bit of snow on the way home from PA and in yesterday's snowfall. I drove carefully and didn't slip or slide on the roads. Only spun the tires trying to get up the little curb onto my driveway.

I drove my wife's 4Runner to a friend's house later in the evening in 2WD. I spun the tires even with the slightest tap of the gas. I like having the manual to modulate the power to the wheels better.

WesH8398
12-18-10, 05:24 AM

QpKFWvowfnU

Why is it that so many people around the forums still say that axles and/or bushings STILL don't fix wheel hop? I haven't had my V for long, but I've read around the forums a ton on the wheel hop topic and every conclusion I came to said that there was no definitive solution for the issue....

kevm14
12-18-10, 10:20 AM
If you watch this, it makes me really want to throw in my SW delrin cradle spacers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SSIGSTPBo

pplummer
12-18-10, 09:31 PM
I couldn't get up the driveway of my mountain home withe the Goodyear OEM's with less than an inch of snow. Oh well. Park it in the garage, take the diesel truck. I didin't want it to see snow anyway!

tweeter81
12-20-10, 12:23 PM
If you watch this, it makes me really want to throw in my SW delrin cradle spacers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SSIGSTPBo

Those cradle spacers hardly help at all (maybe a 5-10% reduction in hop). The GForce Axles (buy both sides) completely cure the wheelhop on the street, unless it is rainy and wet outside. Also, I have never been to the drag strip (nor will I ever with this car), so I can't speak to the effectiveness of the axles in that situation.

mcbsff
12-21-10, 10:40 AM
I just got new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's for my V.
I was still slippin' and slidin' all over last week. The RS-A's must be slicker than teflon in the snow.