: Funny front end noises? (videos)

814V
12-16-10, 01:42 PM
Hey guys,

I just noticed these strange noises coming from the front of the car. It only does it when the front suspension is being compressed. In the videos I am pumping the brakes causing the front end to compress. It will also do it going over speed bumps. After uploading to YouTube the sound quality is not as good but you can definitely hear the noises. Maybe a blown strut? Are there bushings in the front end that could be bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYd9k8VHkPk

D3l7a3ch0
12-16-10, 09:21 PM
you mean that rubbing sound? from the video it sounds like brakes/rotors, or vacuum (brakes are vacuum assisted? I don't know), or like... wheel bearings --but it's the part about the speed bumps that tells me it's not those things. but it also seems brake related because the sound is the same whether you're doing 30 or 5mph

try using different amounts of pressure on the pedal while moving. how does that affect the noise?

could you try pumping the brakes while moving in reverse, to isolate the problem between brakes and front suspension.

also pump the brakes while parked with the engine running, to isolate the brake system before the disk and rotor.

would you also try compressing the front suspension with your body weight (while the car is off and parked), to isolate the problem between suspension and other moving parts

I have some more questions, but i'd like to know the results of these other tests first

if I was standing at your car, before anything else--and this is a wild hair thing--I would run the engine and listen for an abnormal sucking noise in the driver's corner of the engine compartment, look for disconnected vacuum hoses on the brake assist and do what I could to make sure it wasn't vacuum. cuz that's what it sounds like in the video. vacuum somewhere. maybe it's just the sound. just a gut feeling

I COULD BE WRONG.

be safe

814V
12-17-10, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your reply. I went out and grabbed a hold of the strut bar and compressed the car with my body weight and it does it. Definitely coming from the suspension.

darkman
12-17-10, 01:41 PM
If it is a strut there should be telltale oil on the outside. Does the sound only come from one side? If you drive over a speed bump with the driver's side only and the sound comes from the drivers side - check the strut. If, however, you drive over a speed bump with the driver's side only and the sound comes from the passenger's side - the sway bar and end links are the prime suspect.

814V
12-17-10, 01:57 PM
If it is a strut there should be telltale oil on the outside. Does the sound only come from one side? If you drive over a speed bump with the driver's side only and the sound comes from the drivers side - check the strut. If, however, you drive over a speed bump with the driver's side only and the sound comes from the passenger's side - the sway bar and end links are the prime suspect.

lol did you take a day off from the forum darkman? Alright I'm gonna go out front and roll over some speed bumps.

D3l7a3ch0
12-17-10, 02:02 PM
Go team

Houdini
12-17-10, 05:56 PM
My sway bar bushings were bad and I'm waiting on replacements but it didn't sound anything like yours.

814V
12-18-10, 05:38 PM
Well last night I went over speed bumps 345 different ways and the end result is the same. I'm gonna get it on the lift tomorrow.

What I have noticed though is that it only does it when its cold out and the car has been sitting for a few hours. After you drive for a few miles it will go away

mcline86
12-26-10, 10:27 AM
My car also has a funny clunking coming from the front end, sounds nothing like that though. The sound im hearing is an actuall clunk noise like something is loose. Happens if i go over a speed bump a little too fast or if im going down a bumpy road. I'm not sure what it is, i tried pressing down on the front end of the car but i couldnt make it do it.....i was driving down my road yesterday and there was still some hard packed snow on the roads, but it was drivable (thanks to my Conti DWS). It was pretty bumpy and i tried going as slow as i could and it still kept clunking along the whole time. no distinct left or right side the sound is coming from just the general front of the vehicle.

My girlfriends 05 Trailblazer actually does the EXACT same thing only hers is louder and seems to do it more often.

kevm14
12-26-10, 01:50 PM
I just want to say that I got my backordered front sway bar bushings on Christmas eve and installed them that afternoon (had the day off). I lubed them up with Napa Sil-Glyde spray, which is ideal for rubber lubrication. The install wasn't too bad, just did it on ramps without taking the wheels off.

More importantly, I am thrilled to declare that my front end clunk is completely gone and the car feels so much nicer now. It's such a pleasure to have it be silent and tight feeling over all surfaces. It's actually pretty tight, at 102k. Here is a bushing comparison shot I took when I removed the first one. Both were this bad. Wow.

http://kevinallenmoore.com/photo/d/87991-2/IMAG0172.jpg

Houdini
12-26-10, 02:02 PM
Awesome news and update. I hope my replacements turn out as well as yours did.

kevm14
12-27-10, 03:59 PM
I took a second look at my service history. At about 60k and 2 years ago, the bushings were replaced, though it doesn't specify front or rear. Probably front. The end-links were also replaced a month and 1000 miles after that. So these bushings probably were only 2 years old with ~40k on them. That's not that impressive, and confirms that GM used too much soft rubber on these cars. But for the cost, as long as they are available, I guess I don't mind replacement every 40k. But it's not like this is the ONLY thing that wears out prematurely on these cars....grrr.

814V
12-28-10, 06:03 PM
I think I am gonna try the sway bar bushings first. My car is still making the noise I have just been turning up the radio lol

D3l7a3ch0
12-29-10, 02:08 AM
i hope it's bushings, that would be nice. I'm thinking about doing mine as well.

YoshiV
12-29-10, 09:32 AM
There is a TSB out there for control arms that make noise like that.

Good info on the sway bar bushings...my front end clunks when it's really cold out. Probably my problem too.

kevm14
12-29-10, 10:10 AM
Someone should really step up and make a stiffer rubber bushing. NOT POLY, just stiffer rubber. They are way too soft.

814V
12-29-10, 01:04 PM
There is a TSB out there for control arms that make noise like that.

Can I get more info on the TSB please? I work across the street from my dealer and I am gonna go over there in a little bit. Thanks

darkman
12-29-10, 02:03 PM
See attached.

D3l7a3ch0
12-29-10, 04:28 PM
it says you can lube it temporarily to make the sound go away, which is good cuz that project looks like a good weekend.

why would a torn bushing require replacement of the lower control arm??

darkman
12-29-10, 05:31 PM
why would a torn bushing require replacement of the lower control arm??

Because you cannot buy the OEM bushings separately.

814V
12-29-10, 08:19 PM
Sure enough it the tech said that was the problem. Its roughly $2000 in parts to make the noise stop :( I'm gonna pull them off this weekend and see if some lube helps.

D3l7a3ch0
12-29-10, 08:31 PM
ssssoooooo don't go with OEM then, amirite? are there polyurethane kits

darkman
12-29-10, 08:48 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/217501-front-rear-upper-lower-control-arm.htm

mcline86
01-07-11, 07:14 PM
had a knocking noise in my front end - brought it to the dealer. they said "power steering preasure hose was hitting my sway bar, so we tied it up and away from it". im not sure if the knocking is still there.....i feel like it still is but its hard to tell with the exhaust and the fact that it feels like everything shakes wen i go over bumps unlike my F150 did. any way to tell if the control arm bushings are worn out myself? i have 400 miles left on my factory warranty.....if i was going to the dealer with cash they prolly woulda told me every peice of my syspension needed to be replaced. morons.