: So my V surprised me yesterday with its Christmas list.

Lupin
12-16-10, 07:46 AM
I posted earlier about my finicky reverse gate, took it into the shop to get the solenoid replaced, and I found out the solenoid was the least of my worries.

I had noticed the clutch was a bit funky, turns out it's dragging in all gears, and apparently that's the cause of the problem.

My V always had a clunky differential since I got it with 47 on the clock, and I assumed that's just how they were. However, mine was REALLY clunky, and when the car got put up on the lifts, turns out ALL of my differential bushings are gone. Not damaged or cracked, just missing.

Oh, and on top of that, my rotors are warped. :highfive:

My mechanic was going to charge $800 for a "heavy duty" clutch set, $310 for aftermarket rotors and pads, and $100 for the bushings. I knew I could do a bit better and I thought I wanted some better parts, so I started making my own phone calls and placing my own orders.

First thing I did was find some slotted and cross drilled brakes and rotors for $300.

I then contacted Luke at Lindsay Cadillac, and I know you all recommend him, but this was my first time doing business with him and I must say he is amongst the BEST resources us Cadillac owners have at our fingertips. Good fellow, too.

Apparently the top bushing is what fails all the time, and Luke had an "unbreakable" polyurethane replacement bushing, which I ordered. However, the 2 side bushings apparently never go out, and the last time Luke had only sold one in the last 2 years, so that had to be special ordered, but he took care of it for me. ($175 total with upgraded bushing)

I also decided it was time to go with the LS7 clutch. Luke gave me the kit for $635. I am very excited about this part.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what the diff is REALLY supposed to feel like, as well as enjoy the LS7 clutch. However, the V's Christmas list comes to about $1,962 with labour. Sorry, friends and family, but the budget for YOUR Christmas gifts just suffered a substantial re-apportionment.

I should get the parts around Monday, I am hoping this will solve the reverse gate problem as the mechanics said it was. I wondered why my clutch would have gone out so quickly as I do not race [much ;) ] and then it hit me. When I met the previous owner to get the car, I mentioned that I wished it had an actual handbrake, and he said "I've never used the parking brake. I just stick it in 1st." He lives up north. Up north = hills. Hills = inevitable parking on a hill. Parking in gear on a hill without parking brake... :bonkers:

Houdini
12-16-10, 08:01 AM
A+ on your decision making.

Twitch
12-16-10, 08:20 AM
My V always had a clunky differential since I got it with 47 on the clock, and I assumed that's just how they were. However, mine was REALLY clunky, and when the car got put up on the lifts, turns out ALL of my differential bushings are gone. .

Boy, you are one understanding gent :thumbsup:

If your having problems shifting into reverse, you might want to get Lukes shifter bushings also. Think they're 30 bucks. And anytime you have the transmission down it's advised to get a remote bleeder.

Your car is gonna feel SOOOO much nicer after all that work!

Tony

ctsv154
12-16-10, 09:35 AM
Parking on hills with no brake will in no way affect the clutch. Taking off from a dead stop going up hills will but just parking won't do anything.

rand49er
12-16-10, 12:00 PM
... I then contacted Luke at Lindsay Cadillac, and I know you all recommend him, but this was my first time doing business with him and I must say he is amongst the BEST resources us Cadillac owners have at our fingertips. Good fellow, too.) ...Be carefull with that Luke guy. He makes so-o much sense while selling you stuff, you'll be in the poor house in no time.

Seriously, though, Luke sells stuff that works ... no guess work is required.

Lupin
12-20-10, 07:49 PM
Just got my package from Luke. Quicker than he estimated. Thanks Luke! These guys are quite simply the breast.

The red bushing is what Luke recommended to replace the top one, aftermarket and apparently never fails, whereas the OEM top rear diff bushing fails constantly.

Clutch clutch clutch.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1216.snc4/156814_10150341955130103_904220102_16519812_689603 3_n.jpg

Will keep you posted. Getting it all put in tomorrow morning.

Houdini
12-20-10, 07:55 PM
I'll take a slice of that pie. LOL

rand49er
12-21-10, 07:28 AM
I'll take a slice of that pie. LOLLooks like a man kitchen. You know ... oven, pie, clutch, the usual stuff laying around.

Lupin
12-21-10, 10:21 AM
Also, you will notice, that is a full size pie. This is one hefty clutch.

PISNUOFF
12-21-10, 11:40 AM
DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE THAT BLEEDER ON THE SLAVE WITH YOUR STOCK ONE!!! Or a remote bleeder.

Roidz24
12-21-10, 12:34 PM
These guys are quite simply the breast.

This made me laugh. Okay, okay, I'm know I'm a bit immature, but funny nonetheless.

Lupin
12-21-10, 06:41 PM
DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE THAT BLEEDER ON THE SLAVE WITH YOUR STOCK ONE!!! Or a remote bleeder.

Gave it all to my mechanic and he insisted he knew what he was doing. I didn't specifically tell him to do that but I'll ask him in the morning.

This made me laugh. Okay, okay, I'm know I'm a bit immature, but funny nonetheless.

What else do you call someone who's better than the best?

soulja
12-22-10, 01:04 PM
Please make sure that the rubber part of the master cylinder line doesn't get close to your cat converters. Mine's did and burned through and almost caught my car on fire cause clutch fluid was spraying on the cat converters. Another thing you will notice is your stock pressure plate and the one that came with your ls7 are the same part. Thus the only difference with the setup is the different slave and flywheel.

Lupin
12-22-10, 04:37 PM
Just got her back. HOLY BUSINESS. :wtf3:

It's like a brand new car! Seriously the difference is HUGE. ALL V'S SHOULD HAVE THIS CLUTCH! It feels downright amazing. I couldn't stop smiling the whole drive home. Just got brakes and rotors (slotted and cross drilled) and having those installed tomorrow after my AutoZone job training.

MauiV
12-22-10, 07:00 PM
So how many times did you bounce off the rev limiter today? Took me at least a week to get used to the light weight flywheel spooling so up so quick.

Lupin
12-22-10, 09:09 PM
So how many times did you bounce off the rev limiter today? Took me at least a week to get used to the light weight flywheel spooling so up so quick.

To be honest, twice. Felt awesome though. Luke said I'd probably stall out at the first stoplight if I was used to the old clutch, but I didn't stall once. It's just so much more positive.