: Whistling HVAC System

sube5186
12-15-10, 07:46 PM
I'm getting a whistling sound from the HVAC system when the heat is turned on. It's related to the blower, because the pitch and intensity of the whistle varies with changes to the fan speed. It's most prominent when set to "Auto" with the temp set to 72 degrees.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the diagnosis and fix?

Thanks!

Sube

sube5186
01-26-11, 12:34 AM
Still nobody out there experiencing this, huh.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
01-26-11, 04:50 PM
Sorry Subey. You're unique! :-)

Pls let us know when you decipher.........

SS

sube5186
01-26-11, 08:42 PM
I think it might be fixed. I just haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it. The service dept. couldn't find anything wrong and I was getting so annoyed I started scouring the Internet in search of an answer. I found two great websites that allow you to ask certified mechanics questions. I presented a detailed explanation of my problem. Here's his solution:

"Most of the time this is due to an imperfection in the cabin air filter. I would remove the air filter and then see if the system works without noise. If it does then replace the filter."

He also included the attached diagram, which I just so happened to already have. I found similar info on another site, except they recommended just removing the filter and re-seating it. This is what I did. So, after I get a chance to thoroughly test it I'll post my results. If nothing else, I learned where the cabin air filter is located and how to replace it. It was a piece of cake. If you ever have a problem that stumps your service guys, now you have a few new resources.

http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/

http://www.2carpros.com/

Sube

Smokin' SRX
01-26-11, 09:29 PM
how cool is that? I've seen/heard of this before but never used as I was suspicious of who was on other end. Do they still charge $39 for a detailed response? Worth it if everybody else is stumped!

Thx for sharing and hope it works !

SS

PS.....................was the filter clogged???

sube5186
01-26-11, 10:25 PM
The way "justanswer" works is the fee is determined by the urgency and level of detail required, both of which you select. It can range from $14 to $36. "2carpros" is free if you only want to post to a board and have others answer. If you want a certified mechanic to answer your question you have to give a donation. There is no minimum amount for that donation, so you can give just a few bucks if you like. Both sites are legit and endorsed by major media outlets. Justanswer has tons of different categories besides automotive. Just select the "More Categories" tab for a complete list. It includes everything from legal to medical advice. You can try it out without actually completing the process. Just go through the steps and you'll see how it works.

The filter wasn't clogged, but it was dirty. I shook of the loose dirt and then vacuumed it. I'll get a replacement the next time I stop by the dealer. They recommend replacing it yearly. At first I thought that was a scam and totally unnecessary. But now that I've seen it firsthand, that might not be such a bad idea.

Sube