: Seat Heaters/Remote Start

rdfrahm
12-15-10, 01:31 AM
It's my understanding that the seat heaters should come on when you start the vehicle remotely if you configure it to do so with the 'Config' menu on the nav system. Mine don't. Is there something I need to do besides checking the appropriate box on the config menu?

Thanks,
Rich

DarrinMI
12-15-10, 10:01 AM
Rich if you have the box checked in "config" you are set up for heated seats. Here is what was discussed here last winter.
1. The heated seat lights on the button on the dash will not come on with remote start. (Even though it is working)
2. Without someone sitting on the seat even with the heater on it takes awhile for the heat to get through the padding, so you may get in after a remote start and the seat is still cold.
3. When you get in the SRX and actually start it after a remote start you will have to turn the heated seats back on.
I am sure if I got any of this wrong someone will correct it.

rdfrahm
12-15-10, 11:15 AM
Thanks DarrinMI...I appreciate the help!

Rich

Rich if you have the box checked in "config" you are set up for heated seats. Here is what was discussed here last winter.
1. The heated seat lights on the button on the dash will not come on with remote start. (Even though it is working)
2. Without someone sitting on the seat even with the heater on it takes awhile for the heat to get through the padding, so you may get in after a remote start and the seat is still cold.
3. When you get in the SRX and actually start it after a remote start you will have to turn the heated seats back on.
I am sure if I got any of this wrong someone will correct it.

Marc NY
12-20-10, 10:57 PM
I am sure if I got any of this wrong someone will correct it.I brought my SRX into the dealership today to have the power-steering campaign done. While I was there I asked about my remote start and heated seats were not coming on. Well while I was there the service guy remote started my SRX and waited for several minutes and low and behold the seats started to feel warm on the drivers side and passengers side. What I was then told is the lights do not come on during a remote start (they did come on on my Buick Enclave) and that I will quote the Document ID: 2391194 for you.

#PIC5322: Heated seat Operation After Performing A remote Vehicle Start (RVS) - (Feb 1, 2010)

Subject: Heated Seat Operation after Performing a Remote Vehicle Start (RVS)

Models: 2010 Buick Lacrosse; 2010 Chevrolet Camaro; 2010 Cadillac SRX; 2010 Chevrolet Equinox; @010 GMC Terrain.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptoms(s) described in this PI.

Condition/ Concern:

Customer concerns consist of two different complaints:

Complaint A:

When a customer enters the vehicle "after" a RVS event, they notice the heated seat indicators lights are NOT functioning. This is leading the customer to think that their heated seats are not being enabled.

Complaint B:

When a customer enters the vehicle "after" a RVS event, the heated seats are NOT up to operating temperature when they enter the vehicle.

Recommendation/ Instructions:

Resolution for Complaint A:

Although the heated seat will be functioning, this is "normal operation" during a RVS event. The ECC is not in a complete wake up state in RVS mode, therefore the LED's will not be enabled.

Resolution for Complaint B:

During a cold soaking below 32 deg (overnight) the seat is NOT going to get "hot" in the 10 minutes or less that the customer has the vehicle in remote start.

This is due to the fact the heating element is NOT in direct contact with the seat surface while the seat is unoccupied, and the foam below the heater is full of cold insulating air which takes time to heat up. The remote start operation will reduce the seat warm up time once the customer sits in the seat.

So as DarrinMI stated above the long and short of all this is ... even though the heated seat lights are not lit the "heated seats" are on but it takes a bit longer to heat up and may not feel like they were on when you only use the remote start for under 10 minutes of warm up time.

stevec5375
12-21-10, 09:28 AM
I brought my SRX into the dealership today to have the power-steering campaign done. While I was there I asked about my remote start and heated seats were not coming on. Well while I was there the service guy remote started my SRX and waited for several minutes and low and behold the seats started to feel warm on the drivers side and passengers side. What I was then told is the lights do not come on during a remote start (they did come on on my Buick Enclave) and that I will quote the Document ID: 2391194 for you.

#PIC5322: Heated seat Operation After Performing A remote Vehicle Start (RVS) - (Feb 1, 2010)

Subject: Heated Seat Operation after Performing a Remote Vehicle Start (RVS)

Models: 2010 Buick Lacrosse; 2010 Chevrolet Camaro; 2010 Cadillac SRX; 2010 Chevrolet Equinox; @010 GMC Terrain.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptoms(s) described in this PI.

Condition/ Concern:

Customer concerns consist of two different complaints:

Complaint A:

When a customer enters the vehicle "after" a RVS event, they notice the heated seat indicators lights are NOT functioning. This is leading the customer to think that their heated seats are not being enabled.

Complaint B:

When a customer enters the vehicle "after" a RVS event, the heated seats are NOT up to operating temperature when they enter the vehicle.

Recommendation/ Instructions:

Resolution for Complaint A:

Although the heated seat will be functioning, this is "normal operation" during a RVS event. The ECC is not in a complete wake up state in RVS mode, therefore the LED's will not be enabled.

Resolution for Complaint B:

During a cold soaking below 32 deg (overnight) the seat is NOT going to get "hot" in the 10 minutes or less that the customer has the vehicle in remote start.

This is due to the fact the heating element is NOT in direct contact with the seat surface while the seat is unoccupied, and the foam below the heater is full of cold insulating air which takes time to heat up. The remote start operation will reduce the seat warm up time once the customer sits in the seat.

So as DarrinMI stated above the long and short of all this is ... even though the heated seat lights are not lit the "heated seats" are on but it takes a bit longer to heat up and may not feel like they were on when you only use the remote start for under 10 minutes of warm up time.

I thoroughly understand this explanation and it makes perfect sense. However, why don't these things get documented in the manual so people don't think it's broken? Some of us actually do read the manual and have an online version saved to their computer for quick reference.

TRMN8R1
12-21-10, 09:46 AM
I thoroughly understand this explanation and it makes perfect sense. However, why don't these things get documented in the manual so people don't think it's broken? Some of us actually do read the manual and have an online version saved to their computer for quick reference.

Maybe because the manual is already nearly 500 pgs now! So, they don't want to add another couple hundred more..........................LOL! FYI, I've gone through that manual several times already and still find things that aren't 'fully explained'. All I can say is, TG for this forum!!

sube5186
12-21-10, 05:29 PM
I've gone through that manual several times already and still find things that aren't 'fully explained'.

Believe it or not, this manual is pretty detailed. While not perfect, I've seen much, much worse. The best way to use our manual is to use the PDF version. That way you can do a key word search and find almost anything instantly.

Sube

TRMN8R1
12-21-10, 07:43 PM
Agreed.

rdfrahm
12-22-10, 12:24 AM
This is great info...thanks! And, it is the result of my initial question, which it turns out, was redundant...it had been discussed before. But if I had not asked the question, this information would not have come to light. So I guess it can be beneficial to rehash old topics....

Just my $0.02.

Rich

rogreenx
12-24-10, 05:10 PM
Thank you all - you saved me a trip to the dealer.