: Wannabe CTS V Owner Question

mhemsley
12-14-10, 05:45 PM
Hi:

Just joined since I've started my search for an '04-07 CTS V. I've been impressed with these cars since I saw them racing a number of years ago.

I'm looking for an unmolested car (no serious modifications - air intake, exhaust, wheels, etc are all OK) with less than 50,000 miles. I'm not expecting replies about cars for sale, although that would be welcome. Instead, I need advice:

What should I look for? What are the common problems, if any, with the cars?

I'm reasonably competent mechanically, but I'm at an age where I prefer not to do too much myself. So, I'd rather find a nice car that needs nothing, or very little, which means knowing what to look for when looking at a car.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

heavymetals
12-14-10, 07:06 PM
IMO you would be better off with a used 09.

Supposedly all the bugs are pretty much gone and all the important mods (SUPERCHARGER!!!!!) come with it.

rand49er
12-14-10, 08:26 PM
Heavy might be right. A used '09 would give outstanding performance without any fuss. The only issue would be your budget. An '09 is gonna be substantially more than any '04-'07.

If we assumed your budget was $25k and lower, a nice '06/'07 would insure that you had the best differential. In addition to a mostly-stock V, you might want to improve the shifter (PISNUOFF probably has the best solution). If you're not satisfied at that point, we could spend oodles of your money ... just say the word.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-14-10, 09:54 PM
"I'm thinking about buying a V and have some questions..." sticky.

mhemsley
12-15-10, 10:26 AM
Thanks, folks. Budget is an issue, since I have too many vehicles and always seem to be adding something Italian to my garage (ALFA = Always Looking For Another), and I'd really prefer to pay cash - so I've set a limit right at what rand49er guessed.

I'm reading that the diff in the '06/07 is better than in earlier years but that the shifter in the pre-blown cars is less than ideal - right?

I've only driven one (an '05) so far, and it's shifter seemed pretty good to me, but I've owned a Lotus Europe and a couple Alfa Alfettas and Milanos, all of which had a long rod that had to be moved when shifting, so I might have low expectations.

Thanks for pointing out the sticky, UnsafeAtAnySpeed; I'll look again for it. I looked before posting this thread and didn't see it.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ciao,

Mike

PS: The "V" stands for "Veloce," right?

rand49er
12-15-10, 02:10 PM
Hey, Mike, I think the Unsafe was suggesting to the moderators that a "sticky" might be a good addition since we seem to have gotten several requests like yours lately, and it might be a good way to handle them. IMHO, those stickies start to get ignored, so I personally have no problem chiming in on these threads.

The thing about the OEM shifter is that it's rather rubbery and lacks a certain crispness that I, for one, prefer. I have a B&M shifter, but they're pretty rare right now, and you probably won't find one very easily. Lots and lots of guys have the UUC shifter which, though pricier than the B&M, is quiet and works great. A few guys have the Katech shifter, and they swear it's also very good. Within the last six months of so, one of the members here (PISNUOFF aka Brian) as begun offering to rework the stock shifter. I'm told that the result is truly magnificent, and you can't go wrong with the price he charges, either.

A lot (though not all by any means) of the '04/'05 cars have received the improved differentials via warranty work ... I have for one. I believe the '06s came with an improved diff right out of the factory, so you'd have no worries there. Seems right now the '06/'07 models are staying a bit above $20k, and the '04/'05 models are a bit below or right at $20k though for sure they vary all over, but those are rough guidelines.

Funny, I've got an acquaintance who has a pole barn chocked full of Alfas plus a couple of other Italian stallions. He lives here locally. You guys probably even know each other from some internet dealings 'cause it can't be a huge market out there.

Good luck!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-15-10, 11:45 PM
Hey, Mike, I think the Unsafe was suggesting to the moderators that a "sticky" might be a good addition since we seem to have gotten several requests like yours lately, and it might be a good way to handle them. IMHO, those stickies start to get ignored, so I personally have no problem chiming in on these threads.

Yeah, that's what I was getting. I agree stickies tend to get ignored, but maybe an "official" looking to buy thread or something. With merging and stuff, it could end up being a really good source of info instead of having to wade through a bunch of repeats.

Lupin
12-16-10, 07:24 AM
The question is, do you plan on racing this car regularly? If no, you have virtually no worries with the original diff. Check the "who here is on their original diff" thread and you will see tons of '04/'05 owners with excess of 100k on their original diff with just occasional whine. I, for one, love my '05 V. I also got it for $15k. :bigroll:

mhemsley
12-16-10, 10:02 AM
Ah, thank you gentlemen. I also think a sticky would be a great idea, Unsafe. I look at them and FAQs when I have questions - trying not to ask the same question that has been asked many times before.

Lupin - I'm no longer a racer but a writer abaout racing. I hope to get to some World Challenge races now that Cadillac is committed to entering V Coupes in that series - Johnny O'Connell and Andy Pilgrim driving. So, the car will be used for a lot of interstate driving with as many twisty roads added for fun.

Rand49er - Thanks for the warning about the shifter, although as I said, I have owned some cars with really, really rubbery shifters, so I'd probably not notice it...LOL! But knowing that there is a reasonable alternative is information I'll keep handy. BTW, where are you located? Use of the phrase "pole barn" makes me think you're in the south. Mention my name to your Alfa buddy - my by line is J. Michael Hemsley - and see if he knows me. If he's got a bunch of Alfas and has been a member of the Alfa club for a while, I'll bet he'll recognize the name.

I've got a buddy in Seattle who's going to check out an '05 for me - the dealer in Bothel calls it blue, which makes me nervous about the reason for a repaint if it's not stealth gray. Until Lupin said he got his for $15K, I thought that one was a good deal.

Again, thanks for the information. I really like driving a car that's not what it seems - like a WWII Q-ship (a freighter that had hull panels that dropped away to reveal a number of guns). The CTS V looks like a CTS to most people and, especially, to the local speed enforcers.

Ciao,

Mike

SeksTS-V
12-16-10, 04:33 PM
The question is, do you plan on racing this car regularly? If no, you have virtually no worries with the original diff. Check the "who here is on their original diff" thread and you will see tons of '04/'05 owners with excess of 100k on their original diff with just occasional whine. I, for one, love my '05 V. I also got it for $15k. :bigroll:

how many miles and what condition was the 05 V in when your purchased it?
Good deal, congrats and enjoy !

Stepside
12-16-10, 10:56 PM
Looking for an unmolested V within driving distance may be difficult.
You may have to consider having it shipped or traveling out of State to find what you want.
bergeysz.com has 3, 2007s, 40k miles, for $25k - $26k.

Oh, and the symbol for 'velocity' in physics is the offset leg of the V, as depicted on our cars.

PISNUOFF
12-16-10, 11:14 PM
I promise, I don't give Randy any kickbacks from shifter sales. Lol

Good luck with your search.

mhemsley
12-18-10, 07:26 AM
Once again, I appreciate the advice. I have figured out that I may have to travel to get the car I want. The MS Coast isn't a hotbed for hot cars. Yesterday, a friend in Seattle looked at an '05 in Bothell, WA, for me. Low miles, reasonable price, and it was stealth gray (I really like that color). Unfortunately, the CARFAX showed repeated visits to a dealer in its early life shortly before it was bought back by GM. My immediate response was to figuratively put my checkbook back in my pocket and back slowly away before breaking into a run!

I'm not in a big hurry - yeah right - so I'm doing searches on cars.com and "all of craigs list" sites, as well as watching here and now on bergeysz.com.

If anyone has other sources, please let me know.

trhs75
12-18-10, 08:36 AM
I bought an 05 almost two years ago, and I just love it. Yes, the shifter is rubbery compared to the V2 and the V1 doesn't feel as "tight" to me while driving. But then, I paid about $40,000 less! I've had no transmission woes, but my car was (and is) well cared for. Something to keep in mind in terms of cost: I get 26 mpg at a steady 70 mph. My friend in his V2 can do no better than 19 mpg. Of course, I think I lower my mpg every time I listen to mine accelerate onto the freeway!

rand49er
12-18-10, 01:11 PM
I promise, I don't give Randy any kickbacks from shifter sales. Lol

Good luck with your search.:shhh:

kevm14
12-18-10, 10:05 PM
I'm not in a big hurry - yeah right - so I'm doing searches on cars.com and "all of craigs list" sites, as well as watching here and now on bergeysz.com.

If anyone has other sources, please let me know.

I bought mine from Bergey's of Zieglerville, PA, too. Actually I was supposed to buy it directly from a forum member but due to logistics, he ended up trading it in and I swooped down and bought it from them a week later. Little bit of a drive from RI but I was able to trade my 95 Fleetwood in (which a salesman ended up buying). I dealt with Perry, who was pretty good.