: When I put my half axles back in the trans one is out further than the other

jimsbox
12-14-10, 02:54 AM
When I put my half axles back in the trans one is out further than the other but when I tried to pull on it it did not move out. I can see about a quarter inch of shiny axle sleeve. Is it normal or is it not seated properly. The other side went in further.

98eldo32v
12-14-10, 04:20 AM
If you can see shiny axle sleeve, it's not in all the way.

Try pulling it back out. Make sure the splines are mated nicely and give a nice "push" into the transmission. Sometimes the clip in the end of the axle can be a pain to snap into the transaxle.

I used to always put a little trans fluid on the splines and the clip to act as lubricate to help slide it in. Good luck.....

jimsbox
12-14-10, 10:25 AM
I coated the splines with high quality grease and it was tough to get started in but then it slid in to where it is, probably against the snap ring, it slid very easily. I will try again this morning.

tateos
12-14-10, 04:39 PM
Just go in-out, in-out, in-out a few times - hopefully, it will pop into place. Maybe, pull the inner joint out completely and try to center the "circlip" on the axle shaft, and then re-try. Don't over-extend that inner joint, or it will disassemble itself inside the boot.

jimsbox
12-14-10, 05:53 PM
Just go in-out, in-out, in-out a few times - hopefully, it will pop into place. Maybe, pull the inner joint out completely and try to center the "circlip" on the axle shaft, and then re-try. Don't over-extend that inner joint, or it will disassemble itself inside the boot.

When I tried to pull the axle back it took 2 pry bars, just like when it is in correctly. I also noticed there was a tiny amount of play pushing in and pulling out, just like I would expect if the clip was locked into the stub axle. Any ideas? I have put the axle nut on (axle in the knuckle) and gave it a few mighty whacks with the strength of Thor with a 3 lb deadblow hammer to no avail. I also put a 2x4 over the boot on the tri pot on one side and gave it a mighty blow or two as well and still doesn't go any further. Any ideas what is going on???

Here are links to pictures of both the driver side and passenger side (problematic side) of the axles:

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/?action=view&current=DriversideCVAxle.jpg

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/?action=view&current=SDC10188.jpg

98eldo32v
12-14-10, 06:38 PM
just out of curosity, are those "new" axle shafts?

98eldo32v
12-14-10, 06:45 PM
If you replaced the passenger side axle shaft(according to the picture, the one with the painted dots facing us) check the clip that snaps into the transmission.

I've had axle's with too big of a clip or the wrong style clip on the replacement shaft give me problems that you're experiencing.

If you happen to have the old shaft still available, I suggest try swapping clips first. If that is not an option, I suggest closing up the exisiting clip with a large pair of vise grips.

This will allow the clip to compress a tad bit more so it will lock in once seated.

Good luck......

jimsbox
12-14-10, 08:31 PM
Yes, that is a new axle, actually the one on the drivers side is nearly new, just a couple of thousand miles on it. I bought them both from NAPA at the same time several months ago. I also have new hubs, new control arms, new sway bar links and power steering pump, hoses, rack & pinion and tie rod ends. I do have one of the old axles but If I remember correctly the clip is on the transaxle output shaft, am I mistaken? As I said, the axle on the driver side is the same part number as the passenger side. Ijust checked gmpartsgiant and you are right there is a ring on the tripot shaft. Should I remove the ring on the output shaft? I didn't do that on the other axle, I just slid it on and went right in.
/

jimsbox
12-14-10, 08:54 PM
Ok, I pulled the axle back out of the trans, the slot for the ring is 2" down the sleeve and the sleeve is also 2" long. What I noticed is the axle protrudes about 5/8 to 3/4" from the trans. It turns normally when the axle was installed yesterday. I believe the ring is locking into the axle and the protrusion may be related to the output shaft protruding. I don't remember if it was like that on my old trans. I tried a few GENTLE taps with the deadblow hammer but the output shaft doesn't go in any more. I also noticed the output shaft can be wiggled up and down just a couple of degrees. Do you know if any of this is abnormal? Here is a picture of the output shaft. When I got the trans I opened the side cover and lower cover and it was clean, no debris.

I just checked some pictures on ebay of 4t80e trannies and the output shaft does stick out like that. I am going to dig out the old axle and try sliding it on and see if it goes on all the way or not. Please respond, I have my son coming over in the morning to help me get this cradle back in.

I put the old axle in and it goes the same distance as the new one and appears to lock in also, again had to use 2 pry bars to pop it loose.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help.

Jim

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/?action=view&current=SDC10191.jpg

98eldo32v
12-15-10, 01:48 AM
If you still have the old axle, I'd compare everything from the old axle to the new one. Make sure the snap ring look the same, the distance of the snap rings from the end of the shafts, etc. If they look identical, then this could be the case of a brain fart. After having stuff disassembled for a while, you might forget what it really looked like when you took it apart........

jimsbox
12-15-10, 02:17 AM
I am leaning to believing this is normal. The old axle looks the same and fits the same. But I am like you it just doesn't seem right. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe someone who is doing a gasket job or a TCC can check their car and respond.

Thanks though, it is going in tomorrow and if it does need to be addressed I am sure it will show up in a test drive (I hope).

Jim

98eldo32v
12-15-10, 03:59 AM
Just make sure the axle is "seated" all the way into the transmission and the other end bolts back up to the knuckle smoothly. Try to make sure there is no fluid loss from the axles before to you driving down the street. You don't want trans fluid running out of that transmission.....

Submariner409
12-15-10, 09:29 AM
jimsbox, I'll have to do some study and also ask one of the Cadillac techs who live near me. Empty your PM box. We're on the road right now - home later tonight. (12/15)

jimsbox
12-15-10, 02:54 PM
Ok, I checked the lateral and vertical play in the ouput shaft with the axle installed and it is rock solid, turns smoothly as well.

ponyboyt
12-18-10, 03:20 AM
i have a thread here from months ago with the exact same thing. Ive put 30ish k on with it sticking out one side farther than the other. I cant say it didnt cause any problems, my brakes are warped, my trans slips, i have a few clunks in the front end, but my car is a giant white 4000+ pound loudand dirty piece daily driven dog excrement.

I dont think any of my issues are related to the shaft, it is locked in there and has not fired out and killed anyone.

Yet.