: 2008 DTS 1SD Platinum Edition...is it really that rare???

jspeaect
12-13-10, 11:40 PM
I am purchasing a 2008 DTS Platinum Edition. It is not a 1SE performance sedan, but instead a 1SD car. It has every option including the platinum package, adaptive cruise and the Tehama leather.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70824http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70828 From what I am reading from compnine's RPO code numbers, here are my conclusions:

There were 114,044 total DTSs built in 2008...of those there were 9,992 ordered with the LUX III (1SD) package and 3,207 with the Performance (1SE) package. Now there were 886 cars built with the Platinum Package (PLA). The platinum package was only available in conjunction with 1SD and 1SE. The only difference in the platinum package (from what I can tell) were the included wheels...the 18" "PWG" code wheels on the 1SE (like on my old Silver one) and the 17" "QZ6" code wheels on the 1SD versions (like on the black one). http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70826There were 816 PWG wheeled cars and 70 QZ6 wheeled cars, which I am translating into 816 Performance Platinum Editions and 70 Luxury III Platinum editions (for a combined total of 886 Platinum Editions in all). I used my old 2008 Performance Platinum Edition (VIN: 1G6KD579X8U162871)and my new 2008 Lux III Platinum Edition (VIN: 1G6KD57Y28U193359) to collect the data from compnine.

If my logic is correct, I then am buying 1 of only 70 2008 LUXURY III Platinum Editions made. These have to be the rarest of the 2008 model year. (If I am correct only 1 in every 1630 DTSs were LUX III Platinum editions in 2008.) It makes me wonder how many of those 70 had both the Tehama leather and the adaptive cruise? The only thing it doesn't have is an extra cost paint color as it is Black. What do you guys think? Do my numbers make sense?

Tomko
12-14-10, 09:08 PM
Yes. Makes good sense to me. Congratulations on your platinum. I like those wheels so much I bought myself a set and installed them on my Lux III.

jspeaect
12-15-10, 09:19 AM
Your car threw me off at first. I saw a picture of your car with the new wheels on a post that didn't mention that they weren't original to the car. You had me stumped as the numbers added up so perfectly, except that you somehow had them on a non-platinum Lux III! Your car is beautiful by the way!!

rjm
12-15-10, 10:39 AM
Yes your car is that rare. Even more so considering the adaptive cruise. Most shipped with the Tehama leather.

I ordered my '08 Platinum in the fall and even though the order form showed the 1SD available, the system wouldn't let the dealer order. From later research, the 1SD Platinum production began in Jan/Feb of '08, half way through the '08 model year.

383 LT1 SS
12-15-10, 11:39 AM
Beautiful car. I like the lighter wood. I have the dark wood on my 1SE and I would have prefered the lighter.

Enjoy-

383 LT1 SS

Kenwood
12-15-10, 12:24 PM
Sounds like it to me. Personally, I searched hi and low to find a 2009 Platinum 1SD with the front bench seat. Can you tell me how you did your research? I'd like to know how many 2009 Platinum 1SDs there are.

Thanks,
Kenwood

jspeaect
12-15-10, 02:42 PM
Kenwood,

From what I have found, there appears to have been 650 platinum editions in total for the 2009 production year. 461 of those had the PWG wheels, which leads me to believe there were 189 1SD cars for 2009. (Unless there was another wheel they were putting on the 1SE that I am not aware of. Of not seen one with any other wheel, but it is very difficult to find an 09 at this point.)

I watched ebay, cars.com and autotrader.com and searched through almost every listing. I bought my first 08 platinum off ebay and the second through cars.com. You have to search all listings as many people don't realize what they actually have and list them as base, lux I, lux II, you name it.

The best deal that is out there on a platinum right now, that I have run across, is a 2008 Performance Platinum in silver with the linen leather. It has 20k on it, has adaptive cruise, a black rag top and doesn't have the Tehama leather. They are asking $28,900 for it. It is at a dealer in Iowa. I may have gone for it, but I'm not a fan of the linen with silver. The one that I traded a few months ago is still available too. It is also a 2008 performance platinum in silver but with ebony tuscany leather and adaptive cruise. It is absolutely perfect...it only has 16k on it, but they are still asking $35k for it (certified). I'd have bought it back, but I only paid $32k for it when I bought it with 11k on it. I traded it 7 months ago, so they may be ready to deal.

jspeaect
12-15-10, 02:46 PM
Kenwood,
Would you mind sharing your VIN#? I'd like to do some number research.
You can pull your buildsheet at compnine.com

jspeaect
12-15-10, 03:02 PM
Yes your car is that rare. Even more so considering the adaptive cruise. Most shipped with the Tehama leather.

I'm not sure about 2009, but in 2008 there were only 83 cars with the ebony Tehama, not sure about the cocoa.

jspeaect
12-15-10, 03:12 PM
You know, another interesting side note...even thought the 1SD wasn't available till mid year in 2008, the first press release photos of the "new" platinum edition were of a gold car with the 17" QZ6 1SD wheels and not the 18" PWG 1SE wheels that we all saw on the actual early production performance models.

HartfordGuy
12-15-10, 06:11 PM
Rats. My VIN isn't in their system. :(

Mark58
12-15-10, 06:25 PM
Rats. My VIN isn't in their system. :(

Nothing found for VIN Number 1G6KD57947U163383. It may be that we don't have it in the database yet, but be sure to check that you have typed it correctly. Be sure to try back often, we're constantly updating the database.

Guess mine isn't there either!

HartfordGuy
12-15-10, 06:42 PM
Geez, my car is 2007 and they don't have it in the system yet? Or perhaps they didn't bother with the base models. Too many of them

Rantz_alot
12-15-10, 09:20 PM
Hello, thanks for making this post; very informative and answers a number of curiosities I have had about my car. I have a 2009 DTS 1SD with the Platinum Edition upgrade. My car also has Adaptive Cruise (which I really enjoy) and the Tehama leather; it is Crystal Red Tintcoat in color.

When I bought my car new in Nov. 2008, my research told me these were quite rare configurations. The dealer ordered this car for the Owner's wife, but when it came in she passed on it because it was too... well too much Cadillac style lol, so I got it :-)

I really enjoy my Caddy, and while on some days I question if I should have purchased the Performance edition; the Premium Luxury really fits my driving style which these days is very relaxed and I really enjoy the traditional Cadillac ride. My favorite features are the ACC, Tehama, auto-dim headlights, the great wheel design and the Rainsense wipers. I have 18k miles on it now.

Your research tells the story very well on how rare these cars are and I suspect that will help resale to some degree but that really is not a concern for me because she ain't leaving my garage for a while!

Good job and thanks again for sharing this information.

jspeaect
12-15-10, 11:42 PM
Rantz_alot,

I've admired the photos of your car many times!...very nice! I have always wanted the cocoa Tehama! I wish they would have allowed the Platinum edition to buy built in Blue Chip with the Cocoa Tehama...I would search one of those out! I really like your red, but my wife would never go for it...clashes with her red hair! :yup:

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the numbers game...as for resale value, not sure. I'm not sure that enough people care. Maybe a couple decades from now. I had a 91 Fleetwood Sixty Special that was one of very few...I sold it for $10k just over a year ago with under 20k miles on it...once again with every single option including moonroof, bose, etc. (Shouldn't have parted with that one.) Who knows...I just hope to drive mine for a few months and then get my money back out of it so I can move on to the next one! This will be my 4th 06-08 DTS in the last couple years...intermingled with a 300C and a new Camaro SS, but I keep coming back to the DTS. I wish they'd hurry up with the XTS.

Kenwood
12-16-10, 11:40 AM
Kenwood,

From what I have found, there appears to have been 650 platinum editions in total for the 2009 production year. 461 of those had the PWG wheels, which leads me to believe there were 189 1SD cars for 2009. (Unless there was another wheel they were putting on the 1SE that I am not aware of. Of not seen one with any other wheel, but it is very difficult to find an 09 at this point.)

Thanks very much for this thread and the info. Is there a way to see how many 2009 1SD Platinums came with a front bench seat?

I tried the VIN decoder, but it can't find info on my car.

Mine is Crystal red tintcoat with ACC and ebony Tuscany leather. I actually wanted the Tuscany because it felt thicker. Also, I love a good bench seat, so this was an added plus for me.

Cheers,
Kenwood

jspeaect
12-16-10, 12:45 PM
Thanks very much for this thread and the info. Is there a way to see how many 2009 1SD Platinums came with a front bench seat?

I tried the VIN decoder, but it can't find info on my car.

Mine is Crystal red tintcoat with ACC and ebony Tuscany leather. I actually wanted the Tuscany because it felt thicker. Also, I love a good bench seat, so this was an added plus for me.

Cheers,
Kenwood

Kenwood,

You could easily find out how many ebony tuscan flex seats were built, but as far as cross checking the platinum with the flex seat option, I've not been able to get anywhere with that.

jspeaect
12-16-10, 02:27 PM
For those of you who couldn't get your cars pulled up on compnine last night...try again...I think there database was out of commission last night. It appears to be up again.

HartfordGuy
12-16-10, 08:40 PM
I wrote to them at Compnine and told them my VIN wasn't listed. I gave them my VIN too. They just wrote back and told me they just added my VIN in the system for me. Which I checked and they did.

So if your car isn't listed, just shoot them an email.

My car is one of 48,524 Raven Black with titanium interiors in base trim and no options in 2007. LOL

jspeaect
12-16-10, 11:05 PM
I wrote to them at Compnine and told them my VIN wasn't listed. I gave them my VIN too. They just wrote back and told me they just added my VIN in the system for me. Which I checked and they did.

So if your car isn't listed, just shoot them an email.

My car is one of 48,524 Raven Black with titanium interiors in base trim and no options in 2007. LOL

That doesn't sound quite right...I can't imagine there are that many base cars with no options yet black/titanium on top of it? That number I would assume coresponds with a single one of those RPO codes, not all of them in combination.

HartfordGuy
12-17-10, 08:31 PM
That doesn't sound quite right...I can't imagine there are that many base cars with no options yet black/titanium on top of it? That number I would assume coresponds with a single one of those RPO codes, not all of them in combination.

Oops! You are right. I read that report too quickly. 10,006 had the 1SB package which was the DTS base in 2007. 8965 of all 2007 DTSs were Raven Black.

Kenwood
12-19-10, 12:48 AM
It seems to be working now. Cool! I got one of one!

"There are 1 2009 DEVILLE 4 DR vehicles (0.001%) matching your exact options list. There are 1 (0.001%) with at least as many options."

Probably not that hard to accomplish given color and options but I seem to have one of 40 with option code IK6 - anyone know what that is?

HartfordGuy
12-19-10, 06:36 AM
Mine said one of one as well. But as the disclaim says, you may see many cars like yours, but some obscure code makes it unique. I'm pretty sure there were many Raven black base models with titanium interiors with no options. I've got 9 of those unknown codes on my list. None with such a low number match however.

Tomko
12-19-10, 08:48 AM
It seems to be working now. Cool! I got one of one!

"There are 1 2009 DEVILLE 4 DR vehicles (0.001%) matching your exact options list. There are 1 (0.001%) with at least as many options."

Probably not that hard to accomplish given color and options but I seem to have one of 40 with option code IK6 - anyone know what that is?
Trim - Interior Design (K6)

Kenwood
12-20-10, 02:08 PM
Trim - Interior Design (K6)

Hi Tomko,
Thanks, I guess I should have asked: "What is Interior Design (K6)?"

Kenwood