: Which locking lug nuts to use?

mstrjon32
12-14-10, 12:12 AM
I was looking to buy a set of locking lug nuts. As much fun as I had getting my wheels stolen, I'd really like to avoid having it happen a second time. My research seems to indicate that the lugs as 12mm x 1.5, and I'd just like to verify that this is true. I'm planning on ordering these, unless anyone has some other suggestions:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-71634N/

I'm a little concerned because they are made of steel and the wheels are aluminum. I guess they'll be alright since they are chromed?

AAIIIC
12-14-10, 08:32 AM
Yes, 12mm-1.5 is correct. Steel lugnuts aren't a concern at all - the overwhelming majority of lugnuts are steel, and the majority of wheels are aluminum alloy. Finding sets of 24 is sometimes a pain in the ass, but it looks like you found what you need. Just keep in mind that if a thief wants your wheels, they'll take them. Wheel locks are only going to delay them for a little bit.

Gorilla generally makes good stuff. With that said, I had a set of Gorillas that were anodized red and the finish didn't hold up well at all. I would guess the chrome ones wouldn't be as problematic in that regard, but I don't know. I bought a set of those same Gorillas you're looking at, but in black, but didn't use them because they were a bit fat for the narrow lugnut pockets on the Rota wheels - there was maybe 1/16" clearance all the way around the socket adapter, which would've inevitably resulted in dinging the wheels every time I removed/reinstalled the lugnuts.

So, I'm using McGard Splinedrives on my car now, because they're nice and small diameter. The other thing I particularly like about them is that they have a free-spinning seat, so when you torque them down you're not grinding the seat into the wheel. Not that that's a huge deal, but I think it's a nice touch. I'm pretty sure I got mine from www.wheeldude.com when I bought my Rotas.

mstrjon32
12-25-10, 08:32 PM
Just wanted to report that I received and installed the Gorilla's. They seem to be good quality, but I'd have been happier if they had the free spinning seat as you mentioned, as well as a spinning sheath around the lug to prevent sockets from being hammered onto them. They look good on the 14-spoke polished wheels though.

The key size is unfortunately not the same as the original lugs, so I'm going to need to get a new wrench (or an adapter) to carry in the trunk.