: New Guy

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-13-10, 10:45 PM
Hello, I just a bought a 06 DTS, and have a thousand questions. Ive read quite a bit on here and seems like a good website. I used to have an STS which I loved, but after entering the service I traded it for a Corvette. Well a few years later and a son, goodbye Vette, welcome back to the Cadillac relm. (The Vette needed tires anyway) For my many questions, I was told I have a 1SD(or something of sorts). What was all included in this package? and where did it rate for 06? I am to also understand that is not a VVT Northstar? Sort of a let down from the RWD STS, but I would assume that there has to be a way to get more power, even if closer to the 292 mark of the other DTS, which I do not believe mine is. Also, I have a camera on the back of mirror, which I THINK means I have rainsense wipers, however no indictors and seems to work only as delay wipers. Am I mislead or is something wrong? It has 17 inch wheels, does mean no MRC? Thanks for info if anyone can help. I would also like to see if anyone knows a way to get an actual repo from vin window sticker, as I have no idea where this car was sold new (as I read in another post) Thanks again
Cpl Robinette, Drew
USMC

jspeaect
12-13-10, 11:03 PM
Welcome Drew!
Well, were to start...ok, to find out exactly what you have go to www.compnine.com, then click on research, then click Vin Decoder, enter your VIN and...VIOLA, a complete breakdown of all of your RPO codes! It is quite fun.

In 2006 there were four trim levels:
Luxury I/1SB - Base Model
Luxury II/1SC
Luxury III/1SD
Performance/1SE

I have owned both a base model and Lux III in the 2006 model.

Here is the equipment that is added with each package

LUX II:

Safety Antiskid system (Stabilitrak), Brake assist, Front- and rear-obstacle-detection system Comfort and Convenience Features Heated steering wheel, Heated/cooled front seats, Heated rear seats, Memory system (driver seat, mirrors), Automatic day/night driver-side mirror, Satellite radio (requires monthly fee after 3rd month), Heated washer nozzles

LUX III adds to LUX II:
Comfort and Convenience Features Massaging front seats, Power tilt/telescope wood/leather-wrapped steering wheel, Rear-seat lumbar adjustment, Wood interior trim, Bose AM/FM radio w/in-dash 6-disc CD/MP3 changer, Universal garage door opener, Rear illuminated visor mirrors, Self-dimming headlights, Rain-sensing wipers, Appearance and Miscellaneous Chrome alloy wheels
PERFORMANCE add to LUX III:

The 292 horse Northstar
The Magnetic Ride
and 18" wheels

The 17 inch wheels suggest that, yes, you have a LUX III and not a performance sedan. Another visual sign would be that your engine probably says "NORTHSTAR V8"...if it is a performance sedan it would read "NORTHSTAR V8 NHP". Even though it isn't a performance sedan, you have yourself a very nice car. I had an 2008 Performance Sedan with the Platinum Package...it was awesome, loved the magnetic ride!, but I'm ok with the standard suspension. I'm actually waiting for an 08 LUX III with the Platinum Package to arrive in just a few days! I've been without a DTS since May! Thats too long!

ENJOY!!!

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-13-10, 11:47 PM
Thats a really neat website. I love the car, but was also wondering if the stock Nav. can be installed into mine as a plug and play. I do have the Bose speakers and would hate to put an aftermarket screen into the car and have it be akward looking. As far as the suspention goes, can an MRC be installed or a similar airride be installed? I would also hate to hack up a plush ride for worse results.

jspeaect
12-14-10, 12:11 AM
Not sure about the Magnetic Ride install, but I did install a factory NAV in the 06 LUX I DTS that I had a couple years ago. It is plug-n-play, you will; however, need to order a NAV antenna if the unit you buy doesn't have one. The only issue you will face is a good place to put the antenna. Supposedly, the cars with factory installed NAV have them placed underneath the dash pad...I was also told that they are made thinner in that area to allow greater signal strength. I ended up running the antenna wire behind the wood dash trim to the passenger front corner of the dash pad and actually leaving the antenna itself exposed as I couldn't get a good enough signal leaving it beneath/or in the dash. Also, I didn't get the voice command/directions to function. I think there may be some dealer programming required to make that work. Good luck!

Lev Blekher
12-14-10, 05:28 AM
Drew,

Do you have a large black box behind fitted to the windshield behind the rearview mirror? That is the rainsense wiper module I think. If I recall, the camera on the back of the mirror is the sensor for the auto dimming high beams, which I think your model should have.

The rainsense wipers work in the following fashion: The small check marks on the wiper stalk indicate the sensitivity to rain that system has. As you get further towards the front of the car, the check marks become thicker, which is the setting to have the wiper constantly on. To set the rainsense wiper, you turn the wiper dial to any of the thinner check marks, setting the sensitivity you want, and then forget about it. Next time it rains, the wipers will come on automatically. Just keep in mind that your setting and the strength of the rain determine how often they wipe.

As for Magneride, I just bought one front strut because my car was in a collision with the previous owner, and he replaced it with a cheap strut. It retails for $800 at the dealer, and I got it at a part supplier online for $500. For cars that don’t have it, you would also need to install all the hardware and wiring. It is definitely possible, but is pretty expensive and complex. So I hope that helps you decide whether or not you want to do it. There are plenty of aftermarket air ride options available that are probably cheaper and less complex, but I doubt these would be plusher than the standard ride or as advanced as MRC.

In regard to the window sticker, I have also attempted to gain a repro. I called Cadillac customer support and they said they only keep the service available for cars two years or newer, thus my ’06 is too old, and when they referred me to a private business that makes repros, they said it is only for much older cars. Thus ours is in no-man’s land for this and I have not found any other company that can do this. However if you call a dealer (may take time to find one nice enough to spend the time) you can ask them for a history of the car. No matter what they say, they CAN access full service and sales history at any dealer in the country. You can call Cadillac customer support for this too.

I am interested in engine performance mods for mine, so if you find anything there let me know.

Let us know if you have more questions and put pics up on the new owners thread. Enjoy your Caddy, it is one of the finest vehicles on the road.

Superjim
12-14-10, 08:58 AM
There is "ONE GUY" that I know of that can "TUNE" the NorthStar and get a little more out of it.
He lives in S California...but travels all over the country tuning GM vehicles.
If you would like more info on him...let me know.
His website is http://blackbearperformance.com/
I have had mine "TUNED" by him.. :)
He did both the engine and transmission.
I love it...:)

Texas Jim

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-14-10, 12:06 PM
I do have a small oval shaped gizmo-do-dad next to the "eye in the sky" also. but when I click the switch they just stay on, and on, and on.....and grr! Fuse perhaps? Windshield issue? The windshield seems to me like it has rain-x or something on it, I am not sure, water just hates to be on it and snow does not stick to it (Not that I am complaining at all), its just driving me nuts that I can not figure it out. Also, thank you guys so much, appreciate the help!

383 LT1 SS
12-14-10, 03:40 PM
There is "ONE GUY" that I know of that can "TUNE" the NorthStar and get a little more out of it.
He lives in S California...but travels all over the country tuning GM vehicles.
If you would like more info on him...let me know.
His website is http://blackbearperformance.com/
I have had mine "TUNED" by him.. :)
He did both the engine and transmission.
I love it...:)

Texas Jim

Was this a dyno tune or a mail order tune? Did you have a base line dyno run prior to tuning? How much HP and torque did you pick up? What supporting mods have you done to the car? If the car is stock you will not see any significant gains if any with a tune.

383 LT1 SS

Superjim
12-14-10, 03:53 PM
I do have a small oval shaped gizmo-do-dad next to the "eye in the sky" also. but when I click the switch they just stay on, and on, and on.....and grr! Fuse perhaps? Windshield issue? The windshield seems to me like it has rain-x or something on it, I am not sure, water just hates to be on it and snow does not stick to it (Not that I am complaining at all), its just driving me nuts that I can not figure it out. Also, thank you guys so much, appreciate the help!

To check if the RainSense wipers are working...or just to see if you have them...
First turn the wiper control ALL THE WAY OFF...
Then turn on the ignition switch...
Wait a moment for any messages to go away on the DIC...
Then gently turn the wiper stalk to the first click...
You should see a message...RAINSENSE WIPERS ACTIVE and they will make ONE SWIPE across the windshield.

My understanding is they work on a combination of an INFRARED SENSOR and how much force (drag) it takes for them to move across the windshield...thus if there high drag when they move...they just make ONE SWIPE to make sure all is clear on the windshield.

They will also, occasionally, make a swipe while running down the road...for no apparent reason. :)
I keep mine off (unless it is raining) for that reason.
I don't want it working on a dry and maybe dusty/dirty windshield.

I suppose it is possible that if you have something on your windshield that makes it EXTREMELY SLICK...it could confuse them and since the don't feel the correct DRAG when they move...they could keep wiping.

Texas Jim

Superjim
12-14-10, 04:16 PM
Was this a dyno tune or a mail order tune? Did you have a base line dyno run prior to tuning? How much HP and torque did you pick up? What supporting mods have you done to the car?
If the car is stock you will not see any significant gains if any with a tune.

383 LT1 SS

You are entitled to your opinion...but...

It was neither a Dyno or mail order.
He hooked his laptop to my car and we drove it around for close to an hour while he made adjustments to the ECM and TCM.
It has a little more power now and gets a little bit better fuel mileage at high speed cruising.
We take long road trips of several thousand miles, several times a year.

But, one of the major benefits of the tune...at least to "ME" was improved RESPONSE and DRIVEABILITY.

The car is a lot more responsive and EAGER to run, than it was before the tune.

I was impressed enough to spend the money on the same software package he uses to put on my own laptop and then spend hours studying and learning how to TWEAK different settings.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=63&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Texas Jim

HartfordGuy
12-14-10, 04:41 PM
I was also wondering if the stock Nav. can be installed into mine as a plug and play. I do have the Bose speakers and would hate to put an aftermarket screen into the car and have it be akward looking.

There are a few other discussions on this board regarding adding a Nav radio. All others indicate you need to add a VSS wire to make it work.

Lev Blekher
12-14-10, 05:21 PM
Texas Jim, I forgot about the easier method to see if you have Rainsense...to just turn it on and see if the message appears. As for the occasional wipe, the manual says it does that to remind you that it is on. Perhaps it really does it is a self test, and they just tell you that to cover it up. Either way I don't mind.

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-14-10, 07:22 PM
Nope no message. I ran the VIN on comp 9 and it says it has it. I am becomming slightly disgrunteled.. Darn eletric terrorist!

rjm
12-15-10, 10:34 AM
The previous owner probably had the rainsensor disconnected. I have an uncle who absolutely hates them, as well as the auto headlights, so he has both disconnected before he drives the car home.

Go figure.

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-15-10, 11:36 AM
Ive been reading other forum discussions like a mad (devil)dog. And I have concluded either that-or perhaps my "stalk" has been replaced with a non rainsense one? I have no idea, because I have never had a DTS with it. My STS had it, however it was a differnt stalk. It appears to be plugged in. Judging by the miles on the car and the wear and tear on it, I highly doubt the windshield was replaced with a non-rainsense one, but I am unsure. The order sheet says its there, the sensor is there. No display image and works in delay mode, so I am down to thinking that an eletrical issue must be present. But where could it be? I would hate hate hate hate breaking down and taking it to the dealer.

Superjim
12-15-10, 01:12 PM
Ive been reading other forum discussions like a mad (devil)dog. And I have concluded either that-or perhaps my "stalk" has been replaced with a non rainsense one? I have no idea, because I have never had a DTS with it. My STS had it, however it was a differnt stalk. It appears to be plugged in. Judging by the miles on the car and the wear and tear on it, I highly doubt the windshield was replaced with a non-rainsense one, but I am unsure. The order sheet says its there, the sensor is there. No display image and works in delay mode, so I am down to thinking that an eletrical issue must be present. But where could it be? I would hate hate hate hate breaking down and taking it to the dealer.

I have a quick question...does your car have POWER tilt and telescoping steering wheel?
If it does it is a LUX lll and RainSense was standard.
If it does "NOT" have power tilt and telescoping wheel...it is a LUX ll and DOES NOT have RainSense.

I would THINK/ASSUME (and you KNOW what assuming does)..that if there was any type on malfunction, with the RainSense... that it would default to delay mode.

You may have to take it to a dealer to find out exactly what is wrong with it.

Texas Jim

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-15-10, 05:09 PM
Indeed it does have the power wheel and tele. I have swallowed my pride and shes going in Friday morning. :(

Superjim
12-15-10, 06:17 PM
Indeed it does have the power wheel and tele. I have swallowed my pride and shes going in Friday morning. :(

:cool2:...:thumbsup: