: Brown - Rust Spots In The Chrome - WTF!!

carbdude
12-13-10, 06:25 PM
I Just washed our car by hand and I noticed Brown Spots on / in the Chrome Trim that runs horizontally back on the tail gate (that long piece that has the Cadillac script on it); and the Vertical Chrome Trim (with marker lamps) on Both Front Doors.

It won't polish off;

it won't come off with any wax or chrome polish...

It looks like rust spots down in the metal (which isn't metal at all, it's chrome plated plastic).... if the manufacturers still used polished stainless steel like the old days this wouldn't even be an issue.

***Has Anybody Else Seen These BROWN Spots in / on their trim yet??

Add it to the list of BS on our 50thousand dollar pos.:mad:

Dude

sube5186
12-13-10, 06:41 PM
Mine is fine. I polish this piece all the time, therefore I'd immediately notice anything out of whack back there. Are you sure it's rust? If it's chrome over plastic, then there's nothing there to rust. Did this develop since you got the car, or did you just now notice it? Either way, if it doesn't come off, have it replaced. It's a warranty issue.

Sube

stevec5375
12-13-10, 06:55 PM
I Just washed our car by hand and I noticed Brown Spots on / in the Chrome Trim that runs horizontally back on the tail gate (that long piece that has the Cadillac script on it); and the Vertical Chrome Trim (with marker lamps) on Both Front Doors.

It won't polish off;

It looks like rust spots down in the metal (which isn't metal at all, it's chrome plated plastic).... if the manufacturers still used polished stainless steel like the old days this wouldn't even be an issue.

Dude

Just a guess, but do you park anywhere near chlorine? We used to keep our pool's chlorine tabs and shock powder in our garage many years ago. We had our garage door spring rust and break and it was only a few years old. We quickly discovered that the chlorine gas that escapes from those buckets is enough to rust anything close by! We starting keeping those outside behind the house near the pool equipment in a Rubber Maid large container. Problem solved.

Just a WAG.

carbdude
12-13-10, 07:10 PM
You owners in the Cold - Sloppy Winter Climates keep an eye out for what I'm saying....

Yes, the Plastic Chrome can and does allow moisture to get through the clear laminate layer and then it Rust Spots on the chrome layer underneath...

This Happened to my '06 GMC Sierra also.... Warranty replacement denied.

Read your owners manual about chemical fallout and ice melts (ie; mag-chloride (there you go chlorine??) and salt / mixtures.

Sube, what type of ice melt does PA use on their roads?

Dude

sube5186
12-13-10, 07:25 PM
Sube, what type of ice melt does PA use on their roads?

Dude

They use salt mixed with gravel. I never leave that stuff on the car (like some people do for months), so I've never had a problem with any kind of rust. I just got rid of a car I had for 13 years. Not a spec of rust on it ANYWHERE!!!

Just another note about rust spots. After washing your car, be sure to open all of the doors and rear hatch. Then dry the water in the door wells. This is where rust starts on most cars because most people never do this.

Sube

carbdude
12-13-10, 09:21 PM
They use salt mixed with gravel. I never leave that stuff on the car (like some people do for months), so I've never had a problem with any kind of rust. I just got rid of a car I had for 13 years.

Not a spec of rust on it ANYWHERE!!!

Just another note about rust spots. After washing your car, be sure to open all of the doors and rear hatch. Then dry the water in the door wells. This is where rust starts on most cars because most people never do this.

Sube

Thanks for the car wash lesson...
I'm nearly 60 years old, so I think I know how to properly wash and maintain my vehicles.

Your procedure is good info for somebody that doesn't know.

SRX forum participants - Keep an eye all of the chrome, especially the Plastic Chrome, as It Will Rust Very Easily and Very Quickly!

Dude

sube5186
12-13-10, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the car wash lesson...
I'm nearly 60 years old, so I think I know how to properly wash and maintain my vehicles.

Your procedure is good info for somebody that doesn't know.

SRX forum participants - Keep an eye all of the chrome, especially the Plastic Chrome, as It Will Rust Very Easily and Very Quickly!

Dude

Didn't mean to be condescending. :bigroll: Actually, my car wash advice wasn't for you specifically. I know it sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people don't realize this.

How about posting some pics? Are you planning to have the dealer take a look at the spots? If so, please keep us posted on your results.

Sube

Ponyman
12-14-10, 08:25 AM
As unhappy with your vehicle as you are, why don't you get rid of it? Life is too short, especially at 60 to have such a minor thing as a car causing you such unhappiness. Get some rice burner, and move on.

GMJim
12-14-10, 10:35 AM
No probs here. Michigan, the salt capita of the world.

Take your POS in for warrenty service.

mw1862
12-14-10, 02:10 PM

It won't polish off;

Dude

I agree with you. For 50G's the kind of things that have occurred with this vehicle is ridiculous. That is not to say that I do not like my SRX because I do. I find that most people will overlook imperfections if they really love the product. But it is a pain in the azz to keep running back to the dealer time after time. I realize that many on this board have had little or no problems, I am one of them. I laugh at those whose advice is to "love it or leave it". Get real. 4 Lexus's over 15 years and zero issues with stuff falling off, knocking in the front end, mirrors that will not tilt unless you jump through hoops to turn them on, rattles in the headliner, dead battery, etc. It is sad that people will lower there expectations to the level of the product, me being one of them. At least I admit it. The SRX is for the most part a wonderful car. Take yours back and raise hell about the issue. Personally I carry zero allegiance to any car maker domestic or foreign. We drive a car made in Mexico, what kind of quality do you expect? We all overlooked that because we LOVE the new generation SRX. Be prepared to take the good with bad. "Rice Burner"? ha-ha what a tool.

Ponyman
12-14-10, 03:45 PM
You compare the SRX to your beloved Lexus, so why don't you go buy another one. Life is too short to be unhappy, especially with a car. We have had zero issues with ours other than the dreaded chrome strip. Maybe we are justlucky, but I really believe that we are in the majority, cause most people that come to a message board do so to complain and spread discontent. Besides, the smell of burning rice is kind of pleasant.

TheCaptain
12-15-10, 09:59 AM
Hey Carbdude, i had the same thing happen on my liftgate chrome piece. I left some road grime on there for a week and when i was looking at it one day, i seen the rust spots starting on it and my chrome plate frame (tiny little ones). So i washed it asap, and Mothers Chrome Polished that and my plate frame, and it got rid of them all, looking like new again!
In Sask here, we have the bane of car's existence for road salt/sand and gravel roads... it takes a lot of upkeep to keep this thing nice... :D

carbdude
12-15-10, 02:56 PM
Hey Carbdude, i had the same thing happen on my liftgate chrome piece. I left some road grime on there for a week and when i was looking at it one day, i seen the rust spots starting on it and my chrome plate frame (tiny little ones). So i washed it asap, and Mothers Chrome Polished that and my plate frame, and it got rid of them all, looking like new again!
In Sask here, we have the bane of car's existence for road salt/sand and gravel roads... it takes a lot of upkeep to keep this thing nice... :D

Thanks Capt!
I knew if I brought it to attention of others here on this forum, some would also see this condition on their vehicles.

This spotting would never happen if GM used Polished Stainless &/or Chrome Plated Steel for all of it's trim like they used to.

Moisture and contaminates actually can & do permeate the top clear laminate layer of the trim, and once it gets in there, it can't evaporate off; nor can it be cleaned off... and thus the chrome layer starts to deteriorate.

I saw this same condition on my '06 GMC side trim, where It had gotten sooo bad looking that I finally removed all of the Plastic Chrome from the vehicle.

If you were able to polish these spots off of your trim, then you were lucky, because once it gets under that clear top layer, you're screwed.

*I don't have them, but I'd suggest to all that do...
that you try keeping those Chrome Clad 20" Wheels perfectly clean also...
which isn't easy to do when you have to contend with frigged cold temps and all of the numerous chemicals / contaminants that are used on the roads.

**I Gave GM Customer Service 866-509-9090 a call this a.m. and got case number established for ALL of our SRX ills.

I suggest to all on this forum, that you take this same action...
Get Your Issues Documented at the Factory Level.

There is power in numbers, and hopefully GM will find a fix to all of these minor BS issues, issues that should have been addressed before the cars were sold to the public.

Merry Christmas all!

Dude

TheCaptain
12-15-10, 03:01 PM
Hehe, i avoid chrome rims in the winter and got a set of Luxury Trim 18's with winter/ice Rubber for winter! :D