: Intermittent throttle sticking

skipcarver42
12-13-10, 06:41 PM
I have been reading and I figure it has to do with the ISC but it is not a constant problem. Occasionally when I am slowing for a stop sign or in a parking lot the car will not idle back down. It is a 95 Deville 4.9. Any ideas about a fix?

MrDobin
12-14-10, 01:00 AM
Does is ever lurch forward while idling as if the cruise control kicks in?. Had similar with a mild case of stuck down shifting. Codes showed but after I cleared and restarted the car, no issues. Is it throwing any codes?

skipcarver42
12-14-10, 06:33 AM
I am new to this forum and honestly did not know I could check for codes until yesterday. I have not yet checked for any codes but will do so today. Thanks for responding.

skipcarver42
12-15-10, 12:58 PM
I checked for codes and found a couple related to my problem. I cleared them and haven't had any recurrence of the problem since I cleared the codes. If they reappear I will deal with them properly. Thanks.

HUF
12-15-10, 09:03 PM
The first thing to check out the free movement of the cable attached to the throttle lever. Besides, clean the back sides of the throttle blades and the bores with carb cleaner. There are also two EGR tubes sticking out under the throttle blades. Clean them up too.

cadillac_al
12-16-10, 09:18 AM
The ISC is supposed to raise the idle slightly when the brake pedal is depressed. The owners manual describes the idle relearn procedure. The EGR tubes should be checked and cleaned as already mentioned.

skipcarver42
12-16-10, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the helpful advice. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

skipcarver42
12-21-10, 09:29 AM
Well I am happy to report that after clearing the codes on my Deville I have had no further issues of the throttle sticking or surging, I think some call it "sail on". (knocking on wood and crossing fingers) If I do have further problems I will definitely follow the procedures you people were so kind as to offer. Thank you!

carnut
12-21-10, 04:00 PM
Clearing codes never fixes a problem. Once the code comes back and it will, post it here.

skipcarver42
01-13-11, 07:42 PM
I cleaned the butter flies and the egr tubes and lubed the cables lightly and generally cleaned things up. She is running fine now and thanks for all the helpful advice. I love my Deville!