: Resetting Tire Pressure Monitors

StuJac
12-13-10, 08:15 AM
Is it the same procedure to reset the tire monitors than it was for my '03? (Magnets held over the stems)-I ask this because my buddy's car has rubber stems.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

tedcmiller
12-13-10, 03:19 PM
You did not specify what year of DTS you are concerned about. Reprogramming the TPS depends on the year. Some require magnets, and some don't (let out the tire pressure until the systems beeps the horn).

StuJac
12-13-10, 03:38 PM
You did not specify what year of DTS you are concerned about. Reprogramming the TPS depends on the year. Some require magnets, and some don't (let out the tire pressure until the systems beeps the horn).

Sorry-didn't know. It's an '07 non performance. Not sure if Lux 1 or II or III.

HartfordGuy
12-13-10, 08:06 PM
The owners manual tells you how. It is quite easy. You need to do this at a service station where you can refill the tires. You first activate the reset feature on the driver information control panel. Then you have a limitede amount of time to vent off 5 lbs of tire pressure from the drivers tire (the horn will beep to confirm) then move to the right front tire, do the same. Then the right rear, and finally the left rear. Once done the car now recognises the tire positions. Now refill the tires to the desired pressure.

Lev Blekher
12-14-10, 05:10 AM
I have an '06 and as far as I recal the manual says the way to reset TPMS is to use the menus in the DIC from within the vehicle. The reason I have an interest in this is because one of my wheels was cracked in accident by the previous owner, and after that only three out of four sensors showed a reading. When I took it in to the dealer, they did not want to look at the sensors under warranty because they said the wheel was cracked and patched with compound. Anyway, when I came to the dealer three out of four sensors gave a reading like I said, and when I left, all four showed only dashes. The dealer would not explain why they turned off the other three.

Can I use this procedure to reset them, do you think? Because reseting it using just the DIC method did not work.

StuJac
12-14-10, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I like the old way better but will now be able to advise my buddy on how to do his. He's not an owner's manual reader.

HartfordGuy
12-14-10, 08:08 AM
Pressing the button on the DIC panel doesn't reset them. That just starts the reset process by puting the system into "learn mode". You still need to do the complete proceedure by valving off air tire by tire. And you MUST do it in the order listed, that is how the system recognises the tire pressures. When it gets the first signal of a low tire, it records that signal as the drivers front tire. Then you move around the car in order to send the other signals the same way. You finish at the drivers rear tire. If you go backwards the system will have your tires listed all wrong.

As for why the dealer turned off the system? With one bad sensor you will have the TPS lamp glowing on the dash all the time. Seeing that they couldn't fix it without replacing the rim and sensor, they probably deactivated the TPS for you so the lamp would go out. I would think they would have discussed this with you. That is my guess. Rippy Parts master may have a better idea.

Lev Blekher
12-14-10, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the insight. I looked back at the manual and it did say this. I'll try it later.