: No cost HG replacement job, hopefully for a worthy cause this Christmas -

97EldoCoupe
12-12-10, 11:13 PM
Since I've begun the move to Manitoba, personally and also my business, I've gotten very far behind with my work. I've had to make sure I have a shop set up here in Manitoba, stay on top of stud kit sales as best as I could even through a supplier shortage (3 weeks! I couldn't even repair cars during this time), and still finish up the vehicles on the list in Ontario.

As unfair as it was to some customers I had to delay the repairs to their vehicles. I am working pretty much alone right now, training people takes too much time right now so I am working hard to get everything done.

The move is done now. I have just enough equipment left in Ontario to work nicely, finishing up the remaining customers' cars and warranty repairs. I have 4-5 vehicles left to finish up in Ontario, + one that is pretty much ready for pick-up.

I don't want to leave anyone behind. I normally am able to do one car every 2-3 days without any help. I am heading back in a couple of days to finish up the vehicles on the list. Then Northstar Performance will be taking a big step forward from what it is now.

Unfortunately, there is a customer quite upset with me right now and has requested his vehicle be returned to him in the same state as it was dropped off. It is under lock and key in a storage barn, sitting on a clean, dry, concrete floor. I have the key to that storage barn in my pocket. I cannot even call anyone out there to return it to him at the present time. I will be back there in a few days to remove the car from the barn and return the key to him.

I am disappointed in myself for not getting his car done sooner, and I am disappointed in him for threatening to report his vehicle stolen and involve the police. I do not like Sundays spent arguing with people. I take things hard sometimes.

I would like to make a public apology to him for being late with repairing his Cadillac, and would like to offer a fair solution to this matter. I take a lot of pride in my work, I do my best for everyone, but it has simply taken too long ~close to two months. His vehicle is not the first in line either.

The solution I would like to make to this customer is that he allow me until December 18th to do the requested engine work AT NO CHARGE.

It is close to Christmas. There are people in need this time of year. In exchange for this no charge HG repair/stud install/re-seal of this customer's Cadillac, I would like him to donate any amount he feels appropriate to a registered Charity chosen by fellow forum members, after the work is done to his Cadillac; but before Christmas. I request that he have a heart and donate the full $2,200 to a worthy charity and accept my apology. But I am leaving that up to him. The fate of that donation (where it goes) I would like to leave to Forum Members.

I am trying to make up for what this move has done to my business and my customers. Many people don't realize how much this has cost me, the reasons behind it, or how hard it is sometimes to handle the work-load. Over the holiday season I will be training two new employees and hopefully they will stay with me so I don't have to work weeknights and weekends again. I will also be setting up work contracts for customers' vehicles so that I will be legally bound to complete within a certain time-frame.

I will send him an email to this thread so he can reply, at the same time, please, go ahead and start suggesting good charities that would be worthy of my customer's money and my hard work. Something that would do good for people in need, this time of year.

At the same time, to the other 4 customers: although you were first in line, this man apparently needs his car back pretty bad- please allow him in first.

Also part of this deal is that warranty will be null & void - I am doing this now at no charge, I cannot afford to warranty on top of that. I will do my best work and give my personal word that the repair should last at least 5 years without any problems. I hope this seems fair.

My promise in the future to customers, will be repairs within a tight time-frame. I will be setting a very strict rule on this and I will hopefully NEVER move again.

97EldoCoupe
12-12-10, 11:19 PM
If this customer does not accept my offer then I will return his vehicle in the condition it arrived as of Tuesday or Wednesday, the soonest I can board a plane and arrive back in Ontario. My truck is down as some of you know from my post in the lounge, I cannot drive it right now (and that is my only transportation here in Manitoba right now) let alone trust it for a 1200 mile road trip-

Moderators please place this in the most appropriate forum. Thank you.

ThumperPup
12-12-10, 11:49 PM
Jake wow i read this and all i can think of is wow it shows how Responsible you are it shows how mouch of a nice and Great Person you are to offer this as an option to the Owner of the Vehicle

I know that if the Owner of this Car is truly at Heart he will choose to give the full amount to a charity perhaps minute any extra exspensis that it cost him during the time the car has not been avalable to him but im sure that he will do what a anyone should have in heart to do during the holidays

Personaly i would sujest a charity for those who are Sick children in the Hospital during the holidays with no one to share with or somehting like that
but thats just comming from me i was in the Hospital with Cancer first time when i was 8 years old

97EldoCoupe
12-13-10, 12:21 AM
Cancer Pup? Complete recovery I hope -

Currently I am without a vehicle again. My STS got totalled in the move, my truck got damaged badly (side of the box is done) on the same night, I ditched my cube van about two weeks ago on I-94 (did a 180 on the freeway and slid in the ditch backwards/sideways). The only guy I could rely on for help in Ontario, my uncle, was just involved in a pretty serious crash on the 401 highway a few days ago. Bad luck in my family for accidents lately. He was knocked out and his custom built V8 S-10 was totalled. The cube van is still somewhat driveable, back in Ontario. I don't have one Cadillac on the road for myself right now. Believe it or not I've placed everyone ahead of myself and now I'm almost vehicleless. Hopefully GM will give me a loaner truck or something while the rear end gears are repaired. My 97 Eldo would be driveable if I can get the time to re-install a center console again, my 97 ETC needs the HG/stud work before I can drive it. I know what it's like to have to rely on others for transportation. I don't even take two days for myself so I can drive a Caddy again - maybe once I'm caught up.

So maybe a sick-kids foundation. I know Canada has one of those. I've sent a few bucks their way before. I just forget the exact name of it. Sounds good and worthy.

ThumperPup
12-13-10, 01:22 AM
yikes im sure if i had paid more atention to anyting that has been going on in the forums the last few weeks i would have known what you have goen threw and all
but me also being vehicless right now u know David at Power Train started on my Seville with the block and studs thanks you and your love for these cars and engiens and hopfully it will be ready tomorow before closing or tueday at the latest im hoping
but if i had been paying more atention in here i would have know all you where going threw that bad and all

we just moved not nerly as far as your move but still a move
I have been living with my parents since the begning of the Summer when i moved back to Ohio from Mi

and we just moved to a new house so we had over 30 years of stuff in our old house to move and only 2 weeks to move it thats all the time dad gave us talk about rushing lol

and my brother has wrecked 3 cars this year already moms HHR is in the shop with over 3000 in body damage
and a 1000 dollar insurance deductable i cant belive dad let that be so high with brother driving lol

yup when i was 8 i was diagnosed with full Colon cancer they said mutated cells at conception was the root of my being sinck
had chemo when i was 8 then again when i was 11 and
when i was 25 it came back i said no more wasnt doing that again so they took my entire large intestant colon out and then cut my small one into half and split it for one for the solids and one for the liquids and its going preaty good now

i try to donate every year doesnt matter to me when it is if its a holiday i donate on or if its just a day becaus ei have some extra cash and dont need it
i always try to give someting but this year i just havent been able to
wich makes me kind of sad
but just alot o stuff has been going on

if i hadnt just had to drop close to another 4k into the car this month for the engine and then 2100 in April for the HG's and then 2100 for the tranny well thats close to 10k if i had not had to do all this i problaby would have put 2k aside into an emergancy fund another 2000 ffor a nice vacation for me this next week wich is my Birthdya nd the rest would be going to a few difant cheritys from TSA of america to the national Colon Registry and research to Jewish Familys without homes yes those are the 3 funds the i donate to each year

just a reminder for evyerone if not how much you give but its if you give at all cause if every forum member gave .25 cents each year thats 27185 dollars more for the needy then there is withiout that .25 center per member if you get what im saying so amagin if each member who is active on the forums at this time gave 1 dollar each well thats more than enought to feed a shelter
or medicate the sick

Cancer Pup? Complete recovery I hope -

Currently I am without a vehicle again. My STS got totalled in the move, my truck got damaged badly (side of the box is done) on the same night, I ditched my cube van about two weeks ago on I-94 (did a 180 on the freeway and slid in the ditch backwards/sideways). The only guy I could rely on for help in Ontario, my uncle, was just involved in a pretty serious crash on the 401 highway a few days ago. Bad luck in my family for accidents lately. He was knocked out and his custom built V8 S-10 was totalled. The cube van is still somewhat driveable, back in Ontario. I don't have one Cadillac on the road for myself right now. Believe it or not I've placed everyone ahead of myself and now I'm almost vehicleless. Hopefully GM will give me a loaner truck or something while the rear end gears are repaired. My 97 Eldo would be driveable if I can get the time to re-install a center console again, my 97 ETC needs the HG/stud work before I can drive it. I know what it's like to have to rely on others for transportation. I don't even take two days for myself so I can drive a Caddy again - maybe once I'm caught up.

So maybe a sick-kids foundation. I know Canada has one of those. I've sent a few bucks their way before. I just forget the exact name of it. Sounds good and worthy.

ponyboyt
12-13-10, 10:10 AM
Dammit i read the thread title and was ready to type PICK ME! PICK ME!

honestly Jake, i wouldn't be willing to lose the money like that. You run a business and have to deal with customers like this some times. Threats he is making are moot. Deadlines change, shit happens. You know we both no how that works. Give him his car back. Let the cops show up (they probably won't, more likely a phone call). He hasnt given you any money? Have you ever had someone complain about a deadline and then they not even have the full amount due when finished? those are fun too.

I paid a friend up front to change the engine in that 99. It sat at his shop from december til i took it to you. Now i need the trans swapped in my 97 ... that'll be another thread.... he offered to do the swap at a cost. I told him basically that if he could take the trans out for me i would rather find a way to make it fit up his ass. But i dont threaten to call police or complain, i simply borrow parts out of his barn now and then :)

Gotta let some jobs go some times, i know you wont like it, you see something broken that you KNOW you can fix, and you KNOW you will do it right and if you dont do it, someone else will F it up. You cant do everything though.

97EldoCoupe
12-13-10, 11:09 AM
I just want to turn a negative situation into something positive for a change. I'll be back in Ontario in a few days to finish up the work load and things are going to change in my business BIG-TIME. There will be three different types of scheduling for HG work -

PRIORITY #1 - you've come a long ways and are waiting in a hotel for the repair work to be done so you can drive home (this has always been priority #1, but must be scheduled in line with others)
PRIORITY #2 - you need your car and rely on it for daily transportation
PRIORITY #3 - it's not a daily driver, it's up for sale, you just bought it but still have other means of transportation, but you still would like it done at the earliest possible time-

Everything will still be in line, but we (myself any anyone on the workforce) will bend over backward for priorities #1 and #2 to ensure nobody gets stuck long without vehicle to drive.

Also, I will soon be making available a loaner car for those coming long distances, who plan to stay in the area. It will be a Cadillac, no doubt. I just have to talk to my insurance company about this.

97EldoCoupe
12-13-10, 11:11 AM
Gotta let some jobs go some times, i know you wont like it, you see something broken that you KNOW you can fix, and you KNOW you will do it right and if you dont do it, someone else will F it up. You cant do everything though.

Thanks Mason - I know I can fix these Cadillacs and do a great job of it - it's just taking too long I need to speed things up without sacraficing quality- nothing can be missed - I am working hard on a plan to achieve this. Simply "NOT" moving will help substancially - :)

ponyboyt
12-13-10, 11:21 AM
if they have their own insurance, there are some loopholes/tricks. We actualy found out i can put a claim in on my 98 (rod through top of block) because the guy gave me a deposit on the car. I was driving it, but technically it was his car and he has full coverage on his vehicles. Its considered a road hazard damage, because i hit a patch of snow and the wheels spun and possible over-revved the engine. In ontario, you have 14 days to notify your insurance company of a new vehicle on the road.

Jake, i DONT want to sell my 99. Im being left with no choice., unless some miracle happens between now and x-mas. I'll actually be out some bucks on that one if i let it go, but i promised this guy a car. I fully intended driving that car till it died or fell off a cliff. (maybe you dont want me driving under your warranty anyway O.O )

I do the same thing you do, on a smaller scale, with computers. I will stand up straight and say, i have the best repair solution around. I do it right, i do it better, and i warranty it. People love my work, but i too get behind. They call and bitch that its taking so long, or i get generous and let people make payments. Sold a $1200 system once with half down, she threatened to call the cops cause "it died" and she owed me 600. She never called me to tell me something was wrong though....

Im totaly not afraid to tell someone, if they dont like it, take it somewhere else. You come get it on my time though. Shops have business hours, and hours of availability. They usualy come back, pretending like nothing was wrong and wanting the work done. They dont want to pay 2-3X more elsewhere... Walk in my shop, see 50+ towers on the wall, and try to tell me i need your 50 bucks or 300 bucks, i dont care, i always have work.

Like i said, smaller scale, but not all that different.