: Winter proofing your vinyl top

HUF
12-13-10, 12:01 AM
Nasty winter weather is around the corner here in New England. What do you folks do to protect the vinyl tops of your Cadillacs? Mine is parked outside all the time.

deVille33
12-13-10, 09:09 AM
I use nuetral shoe polish. There was an earlier post on here that suggested this, and it seems to work.

outsider
12-13-10, 10:00 AM
I've never done anything major to protect it...I just wash it good with muphy's oil floor soap. My vinyl top has remained in decent condition (no worse than when I bought it...slightly better.)

HUF
12-13-10, 12:55 PM
I think the most vulnerable spots are the seams. If water gets inside the seams and later freezes up... there will be a problem. I thought to apply some silicon spray along the seams.

sinatra caddy
12-13-10, 04:48 PM
im anxious to seeing the answers. i just posted a similiar topic as i did not see this one for some reason when i looked. i used silicon but color came off on the rag i was using.

csbuckn
12-13-10, 06:12 PM
I think color is going to come off no matter what you use, especially if you don't clean it that often.

HUF
12-13-10, 06:54 PM
Yep, that's what I have noticed. No matter what I use, the color comes off. The more often I clean it, the more dull the top looks. I mostly use 303. I am more concerned with rather the integrity of the top than the looks.

sven914
12-13-10, 07:42 PM
^For me, 303 has done nothing it was promised to do. People say that with increased use, 303 is supposed to restore the shine to your top, but instead it just leaves the top dry and crusty looking. I found it to be a waste of money.

I have been using Murphy's Oil Soap for years, and highly recommend it for your vinyl top. You'll notice a huge difference as it will immediately give your top that high-gloss wet look that people buy Armor-All for. It cleans all of the crap and grime off and it being oil, it will probably water-proof things too.

I've never done anything major to protect it...I just wash it good with muphy's oil floor soap. My vinyl top has remained in decent condition (no worse than when I bought it...slightly better.)

Is this based on one of my suggestions, or did you come to this conclusion on your own?

Bro-Ham
12-13-10, 07:56 PM
Sven, I think we've determined that if your vinyl is already degraded that using 303 won't make it brand new, nothing will, but if your top is original and nice then 303 will act as a sunscreen and protect it from damage due to exposure to the elements. The top on my car is like new and needs 303 applied only a couple of times per year to maintain the integrity of the original look and the car is outside in sun, rain, wind, everything. If your top has passed the point of no return then applying some kind of shine is the answer, as you do with your oil, and the only way to avoid the constant re-application of these potions is to install a new vinyl top. :)

sven914
12-13-10, 08:44 PM
^Not everyone can have a perfect vinyl top, and most people here don't. You say that if the top is too far degraded for 303 to repair, nothing else will make a difference, yet oil soap restores everything to factory appearance, so that is a false statement (and honestly what good are benefits you can't see). And you just said your-self that you reapply that Snake-oil, I call 303, a few times a year, but the only way to avoid constant reapplication of product is to buy a new vinyl top. I apply my potion no more than you do yours, but mine doesn't cost two hours wage and it leaves my top looking better than yours.

HUF
12-13-10, 08:56 PM
Gents (Sven &Bro-Ham) do not fight! lol If your top is too old, probably it needs something else BESIDES 303.

Sven, the other day I saw a 1994-1996 Beige Brougham just like mine. The only difference was the top. It was rather greasy than just shiny. I do not know what was used, but I personally would like rather a dull top than a greasy one.

I never used Murphy's Oil Soap, so how greasy is it if you know what I mean? Thank you.

Bro-Ham, I will continue to apply 303 for UV protection, but the top definitely needs something else to improve the looks.

cadillac kevin
12-13-10, 09:47 PM
I've never done anything to the top except fill in a small nick I accidentally put in it with silicone.
are vinyl tops even supposed to be shiny? all the ones I've seen had a matte look to them, even the low mileage always garaged ones . they had some shine, but would darken and get shinier when wet (much like worn paint)

CBodyFan
12-13-10, 10:25 PM
I think a mild car wash soap and a convertible top dressing would be best. Clean is most important. Keeping the top out of the sun is also helpful. Avoid Armour-All at all costs.

sven914
12-13-10, 10:32 PM

Sven, the other day I saw a 1994-1996 Beige Brougham just like mine. The only difference was the top. It was rather greasy than just shiny. I do not know what was used, but I personally would like rather a dull top than a greasy one.

I never used Murphy's Oil Soap, so how greasy is it if you know what I mean? Thank you.

It doesn't leave any residue after it drys (after a few minutes). I only use a few tablespoons on a wet cloth, for the entire roof, so most of it is rubbed into the vinyl or absorbed by the cloth.

creeker
12-13-10, 10:53 PM
I've never done anything to the top except fill in a small nick I accidentally put in it with silicone.
are vinyl tops even supposed to be shiny? all the ones I've seen had a matte look to them, even the low mileage always garaged ones . they had some shine, but would darken and get shinier when wet (much like worn paint)

I guess it's a personal preference, I like the matte finish myself.

1980coupe
12-14-10, 02:50 AM
my top was a near perfect the day I got it. The 2nd owner always kept it covered with a big cover and I was doing the same thing for a few years but the placing and removing the cover became to tiresome so I stopped.
Now I wish I hadn't...what started as a little crack eventually filled the entire top with cracks.
But next year I'm getting my new one thanks to the guys at www.smsautofabrics.com and my interior too ☺☺