: A.I.R. Pump/ Smog Pump 6.0 368 w/ Federal Emission

1980coupe
12-12-10, 10:11 PM
Hey,
Currently my car is making a weird noise like a rumbling sound and light knock and I've been told it's the A.I.R. / Smog pump. My question is can I just remove the belt and run it without the belt driven it? If so, would that have any affects on my engine? Decrease horsepower, lack of acceleration? I've checked with my service manual and it seems like an easy job to replace but in the mean time can I just remove belt to eliminate the noise? Thanks

I also posted in the engine topic too....

1980coupe
12-13-10, 10:39 PM
68 views and not one reply.....i was expecting much better here on this site.

csbuckn
12-13-10, 10:52 PM
You can remove the belt as long as your other assesories are still being driven, it may put more stress on the other belts and cause them to squeal.

1980coupe
12-13-10, 11:13 PM
You can remove the belt as long as your other assesories are still being driven, it may put more stress on the other belts and cause them to squeal.

thanks im going to try it out on the weekend Im off thursday, friday and saturday so thats plenty of time to see what happens.
oh and thanks for the fillers again, car looks much better now. I was able to fab a brace that will bolt to the inner brace and the rear rocker trim bolt I added,

csbuckn
12-13-10, 11:23 PM
No problem, they were in rough condition but I figured they would look better than nothing. Glad you didnt need the one that fell apart on the way there. I swear the only way to get things shipped safely is to buy 400 bucks of shipping material. I bet they throw around all the lightweight boxes for fun.

1980coupe
12-13-10, 11:53 PM
No problem, they were in rough condition but I figured they would look better than nothing. Glad you didnt need the one that fell apart on the way there. I swear the only way to get things shipped safely is to buy 400 bucks of shipping material. I bet they throw around all the lightweight boxes for fun.
all I need to add is a little chrome trim that some fillers had that lined up with the trunk molding down at the edge, and a reflector.
I talked to a few guys here from work that pick up our boxes that need shipping and they honestly told me that they do toss 'em around and plus I've seen them when they are tossed inside their UPS truck. I can picture them like Jim Carrey in that movie Ace Ventura Pet Detective in the scene where he bashes that box, lol.

1980coupe
12-24-10, 06:14 PM
i swapped out the old one and replaced with one i got from a 80 donor and presto...no more noise!