: A.I.R. Pump/ Smog Pump on a 6.0 368/ Federal Emission

1980coupe
12-12-10, 11:08 PM
Hey,
Currently my car is making a weird noise like a rumbling sound and light knock and I've been told it's the A.I.R. / Smog pump. My question is can I just remove the belt and run it without the belt driven it? If so, would that have any affects on my engine? Decrease horsepower, lack of acceleration?
I've checked with my service manual it seem like an easy job to replace but in the mean time can I just remove belt to eliminate the noise?
Thanks

deVille33
12-13-10, 09:43 AM
Yes, you can. If your state's inspection requires it to be driven, you can open the pump and pull out the vanes.

1980coupe
12-13-10, 10:02 AM
thanks, here my car no longer goes through the state emissions only safety. Once my car hit 25 I removed the catalytic converter and muffler and ran dual exhaust.
I'll, just in the mean time, remove the belt and go from there.

drmenard
12-13-10, 04:43 PM
If I remember right if you take off the AIR pump belt it will stop the waterpump and alternator...If you want to get rid of the pump and all the junk that goes with it... Get the crank and waterpump pulleys off a 77-79 caddy with a 425 motor...then you can run with 2 belts... and you could get the alt. bracket off the 425 and use that ... that will make it look alot neater....Now if you want a little more free power... take off the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe off that 425 and put those on.. If you do that ,you will have to leave off the plate that goes between the head and exhaust manifold...

1980coupe
12-15-10, 04:03 AM
If I remember right if you take off the AIR pump belt it will stop the waterpump and alternator...If you want to get rid of the pump and all the junk that goes with it... Get the crank and waterpump pulleys off a 77-79 caddy with a 425 motor...then you can run with 2 belts... and you could get the alt. bracket off the 425 and use that ... that will make it look alot neater....Now if you want a little more free power... take off the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe off that 425 and put those on.. If you do that ,you will have to leave off the plate that goes between the head and exhaust manifold...

actually no it won't, and no don't want to get rid of the pump and the junk that goes with it. it's there for a reason and my car has ran fine the 11 years I have owned it..I'm running straight dual exhaust so why would I need the exhaust manifold and Y pipe?

drmenard
12-16-10, 05:42 PM
Well if you got duals on it now its been opened up already... If you removed the cat already , what good is theAIR pump doing? The pump is to pump air into the exhaust to help burn the unburned fuel in the cat... Its just one more thing spinning around to rob you of a little more power... I've got a almost new AIR pump if you need it...

1980coupe
12-17-10, 06:14 PM
Well if you got duals on it now its been opened up already... If you removed the cat already , what good is theAIR pump doing? The pump is to pump air into the exhaust to help burn the unburned fuel in the cat... Its just one more thing spinning around to rob you of a little more power... I've got a almost new AIR pump if you need it...

you know i was wrong and you were right....today i loosend the alternator and removed the belt, then I removed the 3 bolts that bolt the pulley on to the air pump and removed that belt. I reinstalled the belt and tighten the alternator and turned on the car and yup....the alternator is not turning:banghead: but in removing the pulley off the air pump and while car was running it eliminated the noise so for sure it's the air pump...so while at the JY when I went; I got the air pump off the 80 donor car for $13.50 so hopefully that one is good!
How much you asking for the "almost new" air pump?
Talk to you later:cool: