: Pulling an SRX out of the snow

Grizz262
12-12-10, 05:27 PM
Ok, now that it's snowing like the dickens here, I would like to know the best way to pull the SRX out of the snow.

Normally I would wait and call Cadillac to have them do it, but I have a long gravel driveway that gets wind blown drifts pretty regularly.

If it should get stuck, (however, it is an AWD, and hopefully won't) what would be the best method to pull it out. I have a large tractor and tow strap, but what would you hook it onto?

doctormstein1
12-12-10, 06:38 PM
Ok, now that it's snowing like the dickens here, I would like to know the best way to pull the SRX out of the snow.

Normally I would wait and call Cadillac to have them do it, but I have a long gravel driveway that gets wind blown drifts pretty regularly.

If it should get stuck, (however, it is an AWD, and hopefully won't) what would be the best method to pull it out. I have a large tractor and tow strap, but what would you hook it onto?

from what I have been told that if you have to rock your car back and forth you should turn off your traction control When you first start to move your wheels are automatically in 4 wheel drive.

Jake2010
12-13-10, 08:29 AM
Hi Grizz,
From what I understand there are access covers on the front and rear bumper. The 2x2 inch cover is removed and a threaded eye-bolt would be screwed in. I'm not near the car but I think the access covers are on the left-front and right-rear bumper. This is probably the safest method to use when pulling the car out.

The link below was a thread concerning the part number for the eye-bolts, hope it helps...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/147632-tow-hook-pt.html

GMJim
12-13-10, 11:19 AM
I will say it again, Tow Hooks are an export requirement, used for straight line towing in the UK.
They are also used for tie down when on a ocean vessel. Since it is not cost effective to have fascia's with and without tow hook covers, all vehicles get them. They are not designed for an angular load or "yanking" your vehicle out of a ditch. So don't blame GM when you rip your fascia assembly off.

Grizz262
12-13-10, 05:23 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the information, is there a frame crossmember to hook the tow strap on? The eye bolt is an interesting possibility, but I have to believe the tow truck drivers have a "sweet spot" underneath that they hook there cable onto when pulling it out of a ditch.

GMJim
12-13-10, 07:20 PM
That I don't know.
What I do know, we try very hard not to put ourselfs into that predicament, lol

CaddySpec25
12-14-10, 11:04 PM

How much snow are we talking?

The SRX is rather strong in the snow, especially the AWD version.

TheCaptain
12-15-10, 10:08 AM
Indeed it is! The AWD really likes snow, i think! :D

Grizz262
12-15-10, 05:48 PM
It could be a foot or two of snow.....Is there a cross member I can hook the tow strap onto, to pull it out?

jcarlilesiu
12-20-10, 10:57 PM
I would pull it from the back if at all possible.

At the bottom of the rear bumper you will find an access cover at the very bottom of the black area. This cover is where a hitch would traditionally be installed. I have to imagine that some part of the frame is exposed in that location which the hitch will weld/bolt to.

I have seen many flat bed tow-trucks use the eyelet for loading a dead vehicle with a winch. According to GM Jim though, I don't know if this is appropriate, I always thought it was.

Grizz262
12-22-10, 02:54 PM
Thanks for this information, the tow hitch area will be the first place I look. I'm not expecting to get stuck, but if I can pull myself out with my tractor, then knowing in advance on where to hook up to is a huge advantage.

Are we just a bunch of pencil pushers in this forum? C'mon guys, I gotta believe someone knows how to properly hook up a tow strap to an SRX....

stevec5375
12-23-10, 08:22 AM
Page 9-88 of the manual shows this:

Towing the Vehicle
To avoid damage, the disabled
vehicle should be towed with all four
wheels off the ground. Consult your
dealer/retailer or a professional
towing service if the disabled
vehicle must be towed.

Therefore, it sounds like a flatbed truck is the only way to go. Has anyone bothered to check with his/her dealer?

TheCaptain
12-26-10, 03:27 PM
Or you know, if you have good enough tires, you have a good chance at not getting stuck!

With my blizzak's on, i dozed through a kilometer of solid (mostly fresh drifted) snow approximately 30 cm (1 foot) deep with no trouble!! (but be prepared to be up on that steering wheel, and watch your speed too eh!

Also, this is with the front lower valence on, as we haven't had the big storms this year to warrant pulling it off yet.

:D

Dean5101
12-29-10, 10:54 AM
It could be a foot or two of snow.....Is there a cross member I can hook the tow strap onto, to pull it out?

Test drove my SRX AWD in 6-12 inches of snow before I bought it.. couldn't believe how well it handled (also couldn't believe the salesman took me through it and also let me drive it through the snow!).

CeeFive
12-29-10, 06:01 PM
Is it true that the 2011 SRX does not have the threaded receptacle any longer for the eye bolt?

Smokin' SRX
12-31-10, 12:34 PM
my tow-guy, neighbor showed me 2 large nylon basket-nets, attached to a long nylon strap. He puts them behind the front wheels of most new cars and yanks them out of snow/sand by the front wheels!

My '04 SRX (first gen style) had the front bumper eye-ring bolt for yanking. Forgot to turn it in with the lease end. Will try it on the 2010!

SS

GMJim
12-31-10, 03:57 PM
SS, Say it ain't so!
Eye bolt, ain't for yankn'

Smokin' SRX
01-02-11, 01:37 AM
I seem to remember the '04 Owners Manual said to use it for towing.....guess I would use it for pulling out of snow. Bad idea? Haven't tried the fit yet on my 2010.

Grizz262
01-07-11, 12:16 PM
Any luck on the fit of the eyebolt Smokin?

Smokin' SRX
01-10-11, 10:05 AM
Any luck on the fit of the eyebolt Smokin?
Snow has screwed me up. Will try today! Promise!

SS

Smokin' SRX
01-13-11, 09:21 PM
Ok. my '04 SRX eyebolt fits the '10 SRX threaded hol,e behind the front bumper door, but only screws in about 5-6 turns by hand. (or about half way) I'm not comfortable pulling the car by 5-6 thread turns. Perhaps the '10 is a Metric thread and my '04 was US thread?? Also, it is not a straight-ahead alignment position, with the car. Bolt's eyelet points about 20 degrees toward middle of car, or towards center of grill. Recall the bolt's doorway location is very off-center itself. If used for a tow, you'd be pulling the bolt forward, from an angled postion, putting great strain on it's frame mounted anchor receptacle. Better suited for holding down the car during shipping, perhaps?

Gonna check the owners manual, for their take on this anchor point tomorrow. Note : I did not get a eyelet bolt w/ my 2010 as I did with the '04.

Anybody want a eyelet bolt, cheap ?? LOL

SS