: What are you getting your loved ones for Christmas?

billc83
12-12-10, 03:28 PM
Hopefully, the title says it all.

I haven't quite decided yet. My dad only asked for a few things (mostly clothing) and a few seasons of Las Vegas on DVD. Not a problem. Grandma is getting a Food Saver she wants and maybe a clock (she's got a thing for clocks) if I can find an ornate one I think she'll like.

I have no ideas what to get my sis. She'll be coming up here for a few days and I've yet to ask her.

Other than that, a few of my good friends are getting gift cards. Sadly, this Christmas seems like it's going to be a lot less personal than some previous years.

How about you? What are you getting your loved ones for Christmas?

dkozloski
12-12-10, 03:45 PM
This year the kids say they want a watch so the wife and I are gonna let'em.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-12-10, 03:59 PM
last year i spent too much, i think we all did. so this year, we decided to a dirty santa type of thing. our family is huge and most of us them have families (children) of their own. this way, we all get to spend more on our more immediate family but still get together for family time.

I got my gf a Nikon Coolpix s8100 at a KILLER price. also got her the new twilight dvd of course.

orconn
12-12-10, 04:13 PM
My wife and I are (have given) giving each other Kindles for Christmas. While I resisted the idea of this expensive device, at first, I eventually was won over on the basis that I don't have to take up expensive (home storage) space storing books I will never read again. The cost of current books for the Kindle is cheaper than hardback cost, but I usually buy new issues on Ebay so my cost is about the same or less. Having now taken delivery and put into use our Kindles, we find they are much easier to read, especially in bed, and the burden of having hard and paperback books sitting around is a real benefit. Also the numbers of books available on the "Free" list is extraordinary and also a real plus for the device.

As for other family members, it is a little more difficult. My son can afford to buy anything he wants for himself, his problem is finding the time to search out and make the purchase. I started him collecting cuff links a few years back so I will add to his collection. He is an antitrust lawyer, so as he is involved in new cases involving different industry segments, I get him a pair depicting that industry. My daughter-in-law, I just let my wife take care of her presents. I am giving my four year old grandson my old English Malmod steam engined car. It is about 18" in length, made of pressed steel, is steerable by the steering wheel and is powered by a working steam engine. It is like brand new and still in its' original packaging. I know he is too young to play with it by himself now, but I figure as he gets older he and his dad can fire it up on Christmas Day and they can continue the tradition that my son and I had for many years (I gave my son a Malmod steam engine powered steam tractor and log trailer when he was one year old and all through his childhood we fired it up and ran it on Christmas Day, eventually running the car also). My grand daughter is 1 1/2, she's getting cloths and a hand purse in the shape of a Scotty Dog. She loves my Scotty "Thistle" who comes to visit now and then and is very much into things she can carry around.

That's the extent of my Christmas shopping, and it's all done for this year!

Sandy
12-12-10, 04:18 PM
Nothing

orconn
12-12-10, 04:26 PM
Nothing

Perhaps we should ask about Hanukkah gifts?

The-Dullahan
12-12-10, 04:52 PM
Too many weird Holidays this month. I prefer October, the only month with a truly "normal" Holiday.

323 days to go.

I keep insisting people do not get me anything, but I fear it's not working.

My sister gets a shirt and a pocketbook thingy.
http://img.hottopic.com/is/image/HotTopic/181570_hi

For my Nephew, because apparently he cannot be trusted not to shove Lego bricks up his nose (I had them when I was his age, but I'm told not until he's at least two) I am getting the other COOLEST CHILDREN'S TOY EVER MADE
http://www.retrojunk.com/img/art-images/frank2.jpg
Were it my own child, it would receive something far better, something with destructive capabilities.

My other sister is getting some gift cards, as not only does she have to take care of said Nephew and get herself something, her birthday is on the 24th, so she needs extra crap.

My brother up North is naturally getting a gift card, as I do not know what he already owns, so how would I know I wasn't repeating a gift he already had? Plus, mailing a card is easy-as-pie, I am told.

My other brother...he's tough, because he always sets unrealistically high standards of what he should get and makes NO EFFORT TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT HE IS IN TO (Which changes every six months, due to being a fad-following douchebag with no true acceptance of his own personality) so no matter what you get him, he will complain. I am thinking he should get a stuffed one of thsoe Pokemon guys, because he was into that little ****-ugly yellow monster thing for years and had all the games and the cards (still does) so at least he can't say he never liked it. I don't know which was his favorite guy though, so I will naturally get the ugliest one I can think of.

I got my parents gifts among with my other siblings and also got this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270676967413&si=d9d0uJkVkF24Vea45%252BVL1SI%252Bcyo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Because of their massive Disneyana (Is that how you spell that?) collection and they used to have every one of these, but the Snow White one broke and is glued together, so I am replacing it. If I can find this thing:
http://piratesnplunder.net/pnpstore/images/PNP%20Website%20144.jpg
I will get it too, because for reasons unknown to me, they have the rest of them and this one broke at the hands of my half-brother, whom is a loser and nobody had heard from in 15 years, popped up last year before we all disassociated with him. Ironically, it broke while bringing in an X-Mess tree. Problem is, now I cannot find it.

Lady Victoria is getting several smaller things, including a T-shirt that she will have to modify to make fit her, because they don't make them in infant sizes and probably won't be a T-shirt by that time, but a Corset or whatnot.
http://www.blackwave.com.au/images/Alexisonfire-puliminary-Arc.jpg

The-Dullahan
12-12-10, 04:53 PM
Why are my photographs always so gigantic? This is why I hate the technologies.

billc83
12-12-10, 06:29 PM
Perhaps we should ask about Hanukkah gifts?

Disclaimer - I meant no disrespect to our friends who don't celebrate Christmas. I thought about adding that in the original post, but figured the Anti-PC Police here would call me on it, so settled on merely Christmas.

That being said, What are you getting your loved ones for the holidays probably would've been a better question.

ga_etc
12-13-10, 05:42 PM
The same thing I got them last year, only a different color.

The-Dullahan
12-13-10, 11:40 PM
^smart man.

Aron9000
12-14-10, 01:53 AM
Getting mom and dad a record player. They have this huge vinyl collection that they never listen to because their record player broke back in 1993ish. They have a great stereo to listen to this stuff on, hell those pioneer speakers were probably $400-500 back in the 70's.

Not sure on what I'm getting my sister yet, might be some sort of dog thing, she has a boxer.

As for my friends, we all do a dirty santa thing, I found a perfect thing at the Hollywood Hustler store. Make your own dildo kit.:histeric:

drewsdeville
12-14-10, 09:10 AM
My girlfriend and I don't exchange gifts. We haven't for the last 4-5 years. Instead, we save the money we would have spent on b-day and Christmas gifts and take ourselves on a decent vacation every year. Life's all about making memories. Vacations do a better job of that than any single item on my Christmas list will.

I will, however, cook her a nice dinner the week following Christmas.

Getting dad a Menards gift card to put towards remodeling the house.

Getting mom a Borders gift card to use on her new e-reader.

Got my sister a poker set, since a few of the extended family on my moms side, myself included, come over with $10 to play cards every other week or so.

Jesda
12-14-10, 09:41 AM
Nothing. Wasn't raised with Christmas. But I hand out gag gifts sometimes.

Stingroo
12-14-10, 05:15 PM
Myself. I drove home, that should be enough, right? :lol:

OffThaHorseCEO
12-14-10, 06:06 PM
my brother is driving home, we're thrilled to see him. in his case, its enough lol. but hes cool...are you?

Stingroo
12-14-10, 06:35 PM
Of course, :thumbsup:

hueterm
12-14-10, 07:09 PM
I could totally be one of "those" people that travel over Christmas -- and I'm really not one to travel... By travel, I don't mean St. Louis, I mean South Beach, Maui, St. Maarten (and sit on the beach at the end of the runway and watch the 747s land 50 feet over your head...) etc. Warm, and more a vacation than Rudolph.

I bought myself a new gun (I know, that doesn't count) However, it matches well w/the guns that Dad bought me -- slash that -- that I bought and he paid for...

I'm getting my Dad a new electric razor and a new Bluetooth headset: WOO to the HOO!!!, I know. He's probably already bought them by now, and is using them. Merry Christmas under the tree for us... All I can do is look at the gun he "got" me...since the range won't be open, and who knows if it will be open on Sunday. I told him I wouldn't try them out until we could go to the range together.

Usually I buy him something and he either never uses it (like the $500 Trek bicycle I got him last year, which is a little aggravating...) or he says take it back and he'll get something else (which is pretty much anything else I've ever gotten him, and he never gets the replacement...). I give up.

He was never a big Christmas person, but is even less so now w/o Mom. Same for me. I did enjoy finding a piece of Waterford Crystal for Mom every year, and Dad usually got her a piece of jewelry every year, which she always enjoyed. However, shopping for Dad has never been fun -- he's one of these that can buy anything he wants, but doesn't really want anything. Any kind of tool he wants, he buys through his company, so that removes a big category of items. I refuse to buy him clothes -- it was impossible for my mom to do it, and she lived w/him for her entire adult life...

Admittedly, buying for me isn't fun either, as I pretty much...well... do buy whatever I want. (Within reason and the bounds of affordability...)

I exchange gifts w/my uncle, and I ordered him a Staub cast iron dutch oven (cutleryandmore.com, free shipping, no sales tax, FTW).

I'm getting my friends in Chicago a set of Emile Henry ceramic bakeware (williams-sonoma.com, had to pay shipping and tax, but was at least easy...).

I basically flip flopped my uncle and my friends' gifts from last year -- one more easy year -- yay. Next year, I'm screwed...

All I want for Christmas is for it to move along quickly. There will be a movie marathon of something -- at Dad's house, however, this year -- I HATE going to the movie theater. That is why God invented Sony, Denon, Infinity, and a dark basement...

Chinese will probably be for lunch this year, as it's on Saturday and we can get dim sum (thank you Mandarin House...). I'd go back there for dinner as well, but I know he won't want to do that. Hmmm....maybe sushi...? It helps being in a large metro area for Christmas where there are plenty of non-Christmas celebrating cultures, that stay open for business!

I cooked like a mad fool at Thanksgiving...not feeling it for Christmas w/just me and Dad... Maybe I'll make an apple pie, or something...but that's about it.

If the weather sucks, I'm going to go mad...

EDIT: CRAP! All of my sushi places ARE closed on Christmas Day. If I'm cooking, I'm going French and easy: French Onion Soup Gratinee, Croques Monsieur, and maybe some Moules Meunieres...

GizmoQ
12-15-10, 01:47 AM
My girlfriend and I don't exchange gifts. We haven't for the last 4-5 years. Instead, we save the money we would have spent on b-day and Christmas gifts and take ourselves on a decent vacation every year. Life's all about making memories. Vacations do a better job of that than any single item on my Christmas list will.

I'm with you on this one, My gal and I always take a trip to celebrate New Years Eve instead of exchanging gifts.

Grand daughter gets a DSi.

Sisters and I are getting Mom a new microwave.

And FireFox gets a D3 Stage 1/Stage 2 intake. :canttalk: Oops, I guess that doesn't count. Too bad I can't drive Firefox for the New Years trip. :lildevil:

hueterm
12-15-10, 08:55 AM
Very cool that you named it Firefox....it is about as fast as Clint Eastwood's plane...

GizmoQ
12-15-10, 12:09 PM
Very cool that you named it Firefox....it is about as fast as Clint Eastwood's plane...

The lines are similar and the voice recognition might as well be Russian.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/GizmoQ/European%20Vacation/FireFox/FireFoxV1160x120.gif