: Can't get winter tires 235/55/20

nahc
12-12-10, 01:03 AM
Just got my 2011 SRX performance(FWD) with 235/55/20 tires. I need to get winter tires. I remember checking a month ago and there were Toyo winter tires available in that size. My dealer says he can only get 245/50/20 by Bridgestone(Blizzak LM-60). I did a quick search myself and I believe the dealer is right. I can't find the Toyo tires anymore. I am worried about not having the original equipment size. The dealer said it won't be a problem and I will be better off with the Blizzak!!! I am worried the dealer may only be trying to sell me tires!!
By law, I have to get winter tires but not sure if 245/50/20 will be fine.
Anybody else put different size tires??

C&C
12-12-10, 06:49 AM
Are you going to buy a set of wheels and tires? (the logical choice for winter in my opinion is you should) If so, I think you would want to go with a smaller wheel (17's or 18's) and just minus the sizes using a higher profile tire. Since you are putting on 'winter rubber', your first priority is not sporty handling but winter traction (so profile is not as important). As long as the final diameter is close to being the same (as your 20's) you shouldn't have any problems. Tirerack or similar online or local 'brick and morter' tire dealers can give you a very good idea on what your car should wear in the winter months.

nahc
12-12-10, 01:23 PM
I was thinking of only getting the tires. Is there a possibility that the 245/50/20 rub something, because of the larger width? If I get the rims(18") and tires(18"), I will have black rims and that will take away the look of the car. I put extra money to get nice 20" mags and now I may have to compromise that look.

smiley47
12-12-10, 04:41 PM
Another thing to consider if you buy new winter wheels is the issue of the TPMS system. You'll either buy 4 new sensors @ around $75 each, have them "borrowed" from your summer wheels and re-installed in the spring or drive with the system disabled. I'd stick with the 20's if it was my decision.

I'm sure the major tire retailers can tell you if the 245's will fit. A cocktail napkin calculation tells me that the 245's are 4 tenths of an inch wider that the stock 235's. My guess is they will fit.

nahc
12-12-10, 08:20 PM
Thanks smiley for the information. I will call Toyo Tires on monday and ask them why they make such a limited supply with winter only starting. My other call will be to Cadillac Tech support and see what they say. If I call the tire dealers around town, they tend to say anything to sell you tires. Instead of 245/50/20, I also searched for 225/60/20. Tirerack and a couple of other sites say that the 225/60/20 size in winter tires doesn't even exist.
My other option is not getting the winter tires and risking a $270 ticket!!

nahc
12-14-10, 02:59 PM
Thanks smiley for the information. I will call Toyo Tires on monday and ask them why they make such a limited supply with winter only starting. My other call will be to Cadillac Tech support and see what they say. If I call the tire dealers around town, they tend to say anything to sell you tires. Instead of 245/50/20, I also searched for 225/60/20. Tirerack and a couple of other sites say that the 225/60/20 size in winter tires doesn't even exist.
My other option is not getting the winter tires and risking a $270 ticket!!
Finally found some Toyo winter tires 235/55/20. Had to call other dealer.