: Replace My Halogen Headlights w/ HID Headlights?

rzambrano
12-11-10, 02:35 AM
Can the halogen headlamps simply be replaced with xenon headlights maintaing plug and play?

BaTu
12-11-10, 10:47 AM
Not really :( the reflector isn't designed for the, physical, size of the HID bulb and where it produces the light to be reflected forward.

It works (kinda) but, just not right.....

Here's good explanation I copied from an HID site------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HID retrofits – stay away from them. The results are usually less than expected. More importantly, they are illegal in all states. DOT has recently begun fining suppliers and manufactures

H4, 9004, 9007, H13 bulbs are dual element lamp – both low and high beam. An HID capsule is a single element so you loose one of the beams – more often you loose the low. Notice also that the low beam has a shield next to it – an HID Capsule does not.

The light sources in any lamp must be precisely placed at the design focal point. The lens/reflector assembly is computer designed for the shape of the light source. You cannot retrofit a standard HID capsule with the H1, H3, H4, H7 or 9000 h13 series mounting hardware and precisely position the light source because the design of the bulb base is not precise enough. A lamp designed for a D2S capsule has a precision machined capsule holder, not a stamped steel or molded plastic one.

The light source of an HID is a totally different shape than the light source of a filament bulb. The source for a halogen bulb is an axial filament with a length and a width. The source of a D2S, or D2R HID Capsule is a globular point. Want to see how precise a filament has to be placed? Take a look at the two filaments in an H4 bulb and see how close they are – that’s all the difference between a high beam and a low beam pattern. Now take a look at a 9004 or 9007, H13 etc – the two filaments are right next to each other. The difference between a high and a low beam is fractions of a millimeter.

There are a number of fly-by-nights out there modifying the standard D2S HID Capsule to fit in some of the other bulb mounts, but those are dangerous to use in a DOT lamp. They put out 2˝ times the light of a halogen bulb – but because of the DOT pattern, oncoming traffic is going to be dazzled by the extra light. That’s all fine and good if you don’t mind blinding oncoming traffic. Best case, everyone flashes at you – worst case, they swerve into your lane because they can’t see. Somewhere in between, a state trooper runs you down and makes you get your lights fixed – there goes your investment down-the-drain.

You may have seen Hella HID conversions kits on the internet. I spoke to Hella and asked about them. They said they don’t make those kits. Some one is buying our ballasts and capsules, modifying the capsules and passing them off as a Hella products

Another problem you are going to have is the wavelength of the light output is a short wavelength – which means it dazzles and diffracts much more than the warmer, longer wavelength of a halogen source. One of the reasons gas discharge technology is only on high-end cars is that most are now going to a “self-leveling” system for the headlamps to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic in acceleration situations and when cresting a hill. You won’t have this and the risk that you will dazzle oncoming traffic is enhanced because you don’t. Hold your breath the first time you dazzle an oncoming state trooper and you can’t dip you running light. ------------------------------------------------

EChas3
12-11-10, 04:26 PM
BaTu hit the Bullseye, IMHO. Opinions do vary on the results.

rzambrano
12-11-10, 05:09 PM
Not really :( the reflector isn't designed for the, physical, size of the HID bulb and where it produces the light to be reflected forward.

It works (kinda) but, just not right.....

Here's good explanation I copied from an HID site------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HID retrofits – stay away from them. The results are usually less than expected. More importantly, they are illegal in all states. DOT has recently begun fining suppliers and manufactures

H4, 9004, 9007, H13 bulbs are dual element lamp – both low and high beam. An HID capsule is a single element so you loose one of the beams – more often you loose the low. Notice also that the low beam has a shield next to it – an HID Capsule does not.

The light sources in any lamp must be precisely placed at the design focal point. The lens/reflector assembly is computer designed for the shape of the light source. You cannot retrofit a standard HID capsule with the H1, H3, H4, H7 or 9000 h13 series mounting hardware and precisely position the light source because the design of the bulb base is not precise enough. A lamp designed for a D2S capsule has a precision machined capsule holder, not a stamped steel or molded plastic one.

The light source of an HID is a totally different shape than the light source of a filament bulb. The source for a halogen bulb is an axial filament with a length and a width. The source of a D2S, or D2R HID Capsule is a globular point. Want to see how precise a filament has to be placed? Take a look at the two filaments in an H4 bulb and see how close they are – that’s all the difference between a high beam and a low beam pattern. Now take a look at a 9004 or 9007, H13 etc – the two filaments are right next to each other. The difference between a high and a low beam is fractions of a millimeter.

There are a number of fly-by-nights out there modifying the standard D2S HID Capsule to fit in some of the other bulb mounts, but those are dangerous to use in a DOT lamp. They put out 2˝ times the light of a halogen bulb – but because of the DOT pattern, oncoming traffic is going to be dazzled by the extra light. That’s all fine and good if you don’t mind blinding oncoming traffic. Best case, everyone flashes at you – worst case, they swerve into your lane because they can’t see. Somewhere in between, a state trooper runs you down and makes you get your lights fixed – there goes your investment down-the-drain.

You may have seen Hella HID conversions kits on the internet. I spoke to Hella and asked about them. They said they don’t make those kits. Some one is buying our ballasts and capsules, modifying the capsules and passing them off as a Hella products

Another problem you are going to have is the wavelength of the light output is a short wavelength – which means it dazzles and diffracts much more than the warmer, longer wavelength of a halogen source. One of the reasons gas discharge technology is only on high-end cars is that most are now going to a “self-leveling” system for the headlamps to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic in acceleration situations and when cresting a hill. You won’t have this and the risk that you will dazzle oncoming traffic is enhanced because you don’t. Hold your breath the first time you dazzle an oncoming state trooper and you can’t dip you running light. ------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply, I doubt you guys understood me, I meant I'd like to replace my complete headlight assembly with a xenon equipped headlight assembly.

By plug and play, I mean are the connections from the halogen headlight assembly connections the same as the connections to the xenon headlight assembly.

turnne
12-11-10, 05:47 PM
something tells me no
I think the electrical supply that powers the Xenons lights is very different than the one that powers the halogens

Warren

rzambrano
12-11-10, 06:20 PM
something tells me no
I think the electrical supply that powers the Xenons lights is very different than the one that powers the halogens

Warren

Thanks Warren, the ballast/ignitor usually solves that problem.

BaTu
12-11-10, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, I doubt you guys understood me, I meant I'd like to replace my complete headlight assembly with a xenon equipped headlight assembly.

By plug and play, I mean are the connections from the halogen headlight assembly connections the same as the connections to the xenon headlight assembly.

OK, I did not understand ;)

The things you're wondering about are the wiring plug itself?

My guess would be you'd have to be prepared to mod the connection but would probably be doable, the ballasts actually draw less current than the "dead short" of a filament bulb.

AND, I assume, your computer would be another question?

I know the retro fit guys do sell some sort of an "eliminator" (I forget what it's called...) to keep the computer from seeing a fault in some cars. You might need something like that.

I don't know for sure, but I assume the bolt locations wouldn't be different for any reason....

I DO think it's gonna cost a ridiculous amount of money though, to buy the factory housings/ballasts/bulbs might be hard to justify :(

Have you seen what these guys do??? -> http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

BarrySTS
12-11-10, 07:03 PM
I recently upgraded my low beam headlights to HID. The results were excellent and what I expected. I used a Philips "kit" which meant I used my existing headlight housings.
I feel I need to comment on some of the previous information.

I agree in general with what BaTu posted. However, most of the article does not apply to an STS, or at least a 2008. (I assume prior year headlights are the same)
- Regarding dual element bulbs (Does not apply to STS)
- Lens/reflector a'ssy - STS uses a "projector" style lens which is very similar to HID housings. The projector lens shapes the light, and not being critical of the light source.
- DOT pattern/dazzle to on coming traffic - Does not apply to STS with the projector lenses. The lenses shape the light and provide a definite cutoff that does not dazzle on coming traffic.

The article is addressing using HID in "conventional" housings. I agree 100%. I see many installations of HID lights in conventional housings, and they are not acceptable.

Before converting to HID, I measured the height (cut off) and pattern of my light output. Then after the HID installation, I measured again and the light was the same, only whiter & brighter.

Just my ramblings.
Thanks
Barry

LAC_STS
12-11-10, 07:34 PM
I recently upgraded my low beam headlights to HID. The results were excellent and what I expected. I used a Philips "kit" which meant I used my existing headlight housings.
I feel I need to comment on some of the previous information.

I agree in general with what BaTu posted. However, most of the article does not apply to an STS, or at least a 2008. (I assume prior year headlights are the same)
- Regarding dual element bulbs (Does not apply to STS)
- Lens/reflector a'ssy - STS uses a "projector" style lens which is very similar to HID housings. The projector lens shapes the light, and not being critical of the light source.
- DOT pattern/dazzle to on coming traffic - Does not apply to STS with the projector lenses. The lenses shape the light and provide a definite cutoff that does not dazzle on coming traffic.

The article is addressing using HID in "conventional" housings. I agree 100%. I see many installations of HID lights in conventional housings, and they are not acceptable.

Before converting to HID, I measured the height (cut off) and pattern of my light output. Then after the HID installation, I measured again and the light was the same, only whiter & brighter.

Just my ramblings.
Thanks
Barry

Thats what I usually come on and say when this comes up but I haven't been around. lol

BaTu
12-11-10, 08:46 PM
I agree, that projector housing are MUCH more forgivable than a conventional reflector in accepting and HID bulb. BUT, there actually IS a difference, because of the focal length, between an HID projector and a Halogen one.

Also, the cut & paste I did above from an HID Forum was just an example on why conversions aren't good in general, not about the STS.

STS_0423
12-11-10, 11:13 PM
Can the halogen headlamps simply be replaced with xenon headlights maintaing plug and play?

You already have projectors....just buy a H.I.D kit, whatever temp you like (usually 5k or 6k work the best) and plug and play your self away. This was my first mod to my car as I could not stand a Cadillac with dull yellow headlights. Never had a problem with them and the light output is great. You keep your brights since it is a whole different bulb(although you may never need to use them again). Don't go out and pay a lot of money for one, Ebay has them for good prices, just pick which one you like the best. No need to pay all that money for a complete new housing set plus H.I.Ds when you are already half way there.

rzambrano
12-12-10, 01:24 AM
You already have projectors....just buy a H.I.D kit, whatever temp you like (usually 5k or 6k work the best) and plug and play your self away. This was my first mod to my car as I could not stand a Cadillac with dull yellow headlights. Never had a problem with them and the light output is great. You keep your brights since it is a whole different bulb(although you may never need to use them again). Don't go out and pay a lot of money for one, Ebay has them for good prices, just pick which one you like the best. No need to pay all that money for a complete new housing set plus H.I.Ds when you are already half way there.

Thanks for the reply, the reason I was choosing to change headlight assemblies was because my left one has moisture in it.

Everyone else, thank you for the discussion, it has been really helpful.

STS_0423
12-12-10, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, the reason I was choosing to change headlight assemblies was because my left one has moisture in it.

Everyone else, thank you for the discussion, it has been really helpful.

Problem can still be fixed very cheap. I was in your same exact shoes about 1 1/2 ago. My assembly had moisture, I researched how to get it out, after finding out that I had to pretty much take apart the front end of the car, I figured that was the best time to do the H.I.D mod. All you have to do is take out the assembly, remove all the rubber and plastics from the back and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours, then put water resistant silicone in all the cracks and wherever you feel water can get in. Moisture will be gone and its the perfect time to upgrade your lighting.

BaTu
12-12-10, 06:59 PM
I have a heat gun with a bunch of different temp settings, set on Hi but only 200 degrees I put mine on the floor for an hour with the gun a few inches away to dry it out quickly :)

jrrsmith18
12-13-10, 08:07 AM
idk how successful using silicone to reseal the headlights worked, but when both headlights on my sts had moisture in them i just took them off, let them dry out, and bought new covers w/ seals from gm. they were like $13 each.

BaTu
12-13-10, 11:21 AM
idk how successful using silicone to reseal the headlights worked, but when both headlights on my sts had moisture in them i just took them off, let them dry out, and bought new covers w/ seals from gm. they were like $13 each.

Please, tell us more about This! :)

You're saying the clear, outer, lens is available separately? You gotta part # ?

How did you replace them? Did you bake the housing in an oven to remove the lens?

Details, details, details,,,,, ;)

rzambrano
12-13-10, 06:06 PM

Yes, please give us details!!! This will make it seem as if I got new headlights!

jrrsmith18
12-13-10, 08:13 PM
sorry for not clarifying, i meant the grey covers on the back and side of the headlamp could be bought at gm for $13. i thought the reason for the headlamps leaking was because the foam seam inbetween the assembly and grey cover became dry roted and let in moisture. i dont think you can buy the clear cover separate.

dchun81
12-15-10, 10:25 PM
I did it 4 years ago with no issues. have fun getting to the headlamps. it took me about 3 hours to do by myself

KRSTS
12-16-10, 10:51 AM
Don't do it:tisk:

rzambrano
12-16-10, 02:14 PM
Don't do it:tisk:

Why do you say not to do it?

KRSTS
12-16-10, 03:11 PM
Mainly, it is not legal in any state, not that anyone who does it really cares or is likely to get busted but: it may affect your ability to resell or trade the vehicle in the future.:thehand:

rzambrano
12-16-10, 08:12 PM
What is illegal about HID headlights? If it were illegal, then most newer cars wouldn't have them. I am not one to go get the super blue or even purple colored lights, I just want stock 4300k lights.

KRSTS
12-17-10, 10:17 AM
HIDs are not illegal per se, only if they weren't OEM on the car.

txbest1980
12-17-10, 11:14 AM
What is illegal about HID headlights? If it were illegal, then most newer cars wouldn't have them. I am not one to go get the super blue or even purple colored lights, I just want stock 4300k lights.

HIDs are illegal if they did not come on the car from factory that way. now is a cop going to pull you over and ask you to open your hood to see if he/she can find the ballast? probably not. but if your car is calling for attention by some other crazy mods, then it could be a possiblity

galaxy1000
12-17-10, 05:47 PM
You can do it safely AND legally! The bulbs have to be DOT approved. I did my STS and am loving it! Just make sure you are using a DOT approved bulb.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68035http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68038http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68039

ddalder
12-19-10, 07:59 PM
It would seem to me that you would need to power the ballast with a source other than what you would find at the factory high beam connector... at least if you have (and use) the IntelliBeam option. Keep in mind that vehicles with IntelliBeam have variable intensity high beams and therefore, at times, would not provide an adequate supply for an HID ballast.

rzambrano
12-19-10, 11:13 PM
It would seem to me that you would need to power the ballast with a source other than what you would find at the factory high beam connector... at least if you have (and use) the IntelliBeam option. Keep in mind that vehicles with IntelliBeam have variable intensity high beams and therefore, at times, would not provide an adequate supply for an HID ballast.

I understand what you wrote, except my STS isn't equipped with Intellibeam, I think ?

ddalder
12-20-10, 01:03 AM
I understand what you wrote, except my STS isn't equipped with Intellibeam, I think ?

If you have an "Auto" button on your rear view mirror (just left of the OnStar buttons) you have IntelliBeam. If not, you don't. Most STS's I checked while looking for one to buy did. I don't have data from GM though to say how many were built with this.

If you do have it, but it isn't turned on and you only control high beams with the signal lever you "may" never experience a problem with the configuration shown. I'd have to look closer at how the dimming module is wired/configured.

There is also the wire guage matter. I haven't looked to see what the current draw for an HID ballast is and whether the existing high beam wiring is of sufficient guage (wire run length from the fuse block factors into the calculation as well).

Personally, this isn't a mod I'd do to my car.

rzambrano
12-20-10, 01:37 AM
If you have an "Auto" button on your rear view mirror (just left of the OnStar buttons) you have IntelliBeam. If not, you don't. Most STS's I checked while looking for one to buy did. I don't have data from GM though to say how many were built with this.

If you do have it, but it isn't turned on and you only control high beams with the signal lever you "may" never experience a problem with the configuration shown. I'd have to look closer at how the dimming module is wired/configured.

There is also the wire guage matter. I haven't looked to see what the current draw for an HID ballast is and whether the existing high beam wiring is of sufficient guage (wire run length from the fuse block factors into the calculation as well).

No, I do not have that button. HID healights just make a car look more classy. But anyways, I read somewhere that HID headlights, draw much more less power than a regular bulb, therefore whatever gauge size the wire is, I think it should be sufficient.

BarrySTS
12-20-10, 01:37 PM

Here is the kit I used. Looks like the average current draw is 3.4 amps for the ballast.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280507190839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Based on a little research "Google", it appears that a "regular" headlight bulb draws between 5-6 amps.
Looks like the wiring should be ok.

Curious why you would not consider doing this nod ?

galaxy1000
12-20-10, 04:03 PM
I have had mine about 4 months with no issues. The kit I purchased did come with additional wiring from the ballasts to the battery if needed, it was not needed according to my installer. He must have been correct because as stated I have had no issues.

ddalder
12-20-10, 10:27 PM
Here is the kit I used. Looks like the average current draw is 3.4 amps for the ballast.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280507190839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Based on a little research "Google", it appears that a "regular" headlight bulb draws between 5-6 amps.
Looks like the wiring should be ok.

Curious why you would not consider doing this nod ?

A few reasons... I have IntelliBeam and quite like it. I'm within the factory warranty period so I want to be careful not to cause any problems with that and I'm not sure of the legal aspects here. I agree they look better, but I'll have to give it some more thought first. I've done a number of mods to my other car but my STS is still very new to me (less than one month). Sometime down the road I may consider it but for now I plan to leave it pretty much original.

rzambrano
12-21-10, 12:57 AM
A few reasons... I have IntelliBeam and quite like it. I'm within the factory warranty period so I want to be careful not to cause any problems with that and I'm not sure of the legal aspects here. I agree they look better, but I'll have to give it some more thought first. I've done a number of mods to my other car but my STS is still very new to me (less than one month). Sometime down the road I may consider it but for now I plan to leave it pretty much original.

I completely agree with you, if I still had a warranty on my car, I wouldn't touch it either!

rzambrano
12-22-10, 01:35 AM
So I need new headlamps, quick!
http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8634/photodq.jpg

rzambrano
12-22-10, 01:38 AM
So I snapped a few shots of the connectors for HID and NON-HID headlamp assemblies. Not all shots are very clear, but the question is do you guys think swapping out my NON-HID headlamp assy with a HID headlamp assy, will allow me to simply use the same plug the car already provides?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9047/screenshot20101221at920.png

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1735/screenshot20101221at916.png

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/870/screenshot20101221at918.png

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9047/screenshot20101221at920.png

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2271/screenshot20101221at922.png

Keep in mind my headlamps assembly (previous post) is already done! I was gonna purchase HID conversion kits (~200) but if the OEM xenon headlamp assy runs a few more bucks, i might as well purchase the whole assy.

knappy75
12-22-10, 05:04 PM
There is an old post that someone has already done it. You have to switch a couple of spades around. The connectors are slightly different. I tried my first round and broke one of the little black pieces that hold the spades in. But that was a test one (junker). I had been told by the person who did it (it is an older post) via PM that after you move the spades around, it is plug n play. I have not finished that project yet, and don't know if i want to mess with buying two more lights and risk breaking the little pieces (delicate process), or just do the Philips kit. FYI.

knappy75
12-22-10, 05:06 PM
Let me correct that-the connectors are nearly identical (HID one has slightly "thicker" plastic and one thicker power wire), but the plugs at the end are the same. Shouldn't be a problem if you are able to move the wires into a slightly different configuration. Unfortunately, I am good at breaking things...

rzambrano
12-22-10, 09:12 PM
I have the manual at home that tells me which spade is what. I think I'll use that.

knappy75
12-23-10, 10:45 AM
You may not even have to look it up if you are going to switch them. I think there is a red, green, brown, and two blacks, if I remember correctly. Both headlights have the same wiring, just switched around. I had drawn a crude circle on paper, and made a diagram of what the connector looked like. Just document where each wire went by color, then switch them accordingly. There are a couple of empty spaces too, so make sure you remember or write it down.

knappy75
12-23-10, 11:28 AM
Also, for anyone trying this mod, this information will make sense when you have the connectors in front of you. The most common way to move the spades around is to take a paper clip or some type of small screwdriver and push underneath the wires from the side that the wires enter. This will release the small black clips that hold each wire in. That is hard on the little black plastic clips, and they tend to break easily.

But to make it easier, if you take a small screwdriver and push the light green terminal holder (square plastic piece recessed down in the opposite side) OUT of the other side of the connector first, the small black clips will be exposed. Then you can just barely push them down until the wires pop out. After you are done, just push that green piece back down in the connector, to cover up the terminals.

Again, that is some pretty detailed (and weird) info, but trust me, when you attempt to move the wires around it isn't easy. Or at least it wasn't for me, and I don't have any specialized tools. Sorry I don't have any pics right now to help!

Hope this helps. Eric

Frikiton
12-26-10, 01:27 PM
So there's no way to just add HID bulbs to 1SC STS 2006 v6 ?

rzambrano
12-26-10, 04:14 PM
You can, but I'm worried about glare.

BarrySTS
12-29-10, 12:00 AM
So there's no way to just add HID bulbs to 1SC STS 2006 v6 ?

I tried to reply to your message, when I try to reply, I get a spam message saying access will be granted shortly. How long is "shortly".
Thanks, Barry

Frikiton
12-29-10, 10:30 AM
I tried to reply to your message, when I try to reply, I get a spam message saying access will be granted shortly. How long is "shortly".
Thanks, Barry

maybe because if your low posts ?

BarrySTS
12-30-10, 12:25 AM
maybe because if your low posts ?

That's likely the reason.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can give you some details on the installation and also some photos I took.
Barry

Frikiton
01-03-11, 06:02 AM
I seen so many cars with HIDs wow and I must say I am jealous lol.. I am going to see if I can find a Philips HID conversion kit, I hear in the streets they cost $500 i found one on ebay for $200 .. My cousin has some cheap HIDs for $80 .. Now I rather pay for quality and have good life than get them cheap and who knows what will happen.

rzambrano
01-03-11, 08:46 PM
I seen so many cars with HIDs wow and I must say I am jealous lol.. I am going to see if I can find a Philips HID conversion kit, I hear in the streets they cost $500 i found one on ebay for $200 .. My cousin has some cheap HIDs for $80 .. Now I rather pay for quality and have good life than get them cheap and who knows what will happen.

They make a big difference huh?

Frikiton
01-17-11, 02:03 AM
I took my car to a professional he put 8000K HIDs on my lows and foglights =)
I luv it !
He also put PIAA Super Extreme White on the rest of the lights =)

rzambrano
01-17-11, 02:37 AM
I just ordered my set of Philips HID's for my lows, I am going to bake the headlights next weekend to pry them open and clean the hazes inside and polish them again. I think I might also do a clear coat.

Frikiton
01-17-11, 02:56 AM
Best of luck, I am happy with my setup take a look at my other thread for pics HERE (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/216163-2006-sts-opinions-5.html#post2468634)
I was thinking of buying Phillips but too much $$ for me, I also saw on amazon the Kensun are affordable and recommended but I let the professional install whatever he had (warranty) fk it. I know i saw the white box HID Conversion kit like this one

http://carjamzdistributing.com/images/white%20box.jpg
I forgot to tell the guy to clean the inside of the headlight too cuz sometimes I notice it looks a little moisture inside.
What #s you putting?

rzambrano
01-17-11, 03:31 AM
Best of luck, I am happy with my setup take a look at my other thread for pics HERE (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/216163-2006-sts-opinions-5.html#post2468634)
I was thinking of buying Phillips but too much $$ for me, I also saw on amazon the Kensun are affordable and recommended but I let the professional install whatever he had (warranty) fk it. I know i saw the white box HID Conversion kit like this one

http://carjamzdistributing.com/images/white%20box.jpg
I forgot to tell the guy to clean the inside of the headlight too cuz sometimes I notice it looks a little moisture inside.
What #s you putting?

Im going with 4300k. The blue tint that the projector has already makes the light blue.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H11-Philips-Xenon-HID-Light-Bulb-Kit-4300K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23027f6c76QQitemZ15036 5760630QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_7093wt_941

rzambrano
01-30-11, 10:13 PM
I finally got around to doing this. They are much bluer, they appear very yellow in the pictures.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9366/97568581.jpg
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6228/40747012.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3696/34733947.jpg

Frikiton
01-30-11, 11:58 PM
Nice, I have to take a pic in the night against a fence like that.

rzambrano
01-31-11, 12:20 AM
Nice, I have to take a pic in the night against a fence like that.

Or a wall, it really shows off the cutoff line.

05_STS
01-31-11, 10:58 AM
I'd like to attempt to swap the STS HID headlight assembly. My question is when shopping around I noticed that there are three option codes for the HID headlamps on the STS:

HID hdlps, opt TT6
HID hdlps, opt TT7
HID hdlps, opt TT8

does anyone know what the differences are or which option code to use?

rzambrano
01-31-11, 03:43 PM
I'd like to attempt to swap the STS HID headlight assembly. My question is when shopping around I noticed that there are three option codes for the HID headlamps on the STS:

HID hdlps, opt TT6
HID hdlps, opt TT7
HID hdlps, opt TT8

Correct me if I am wrong but I think its the intellibeam feature, or the headlight washers stuff. Google a vin decoder and figure out what it is. I know there is a thread here that also tells you.

ddalder
02-01-11, 12:04 AM

HID hdlps, opt TT6
HID hdlps, opt TT7
HID hdlps, opt TT8

TT6 - High Intensity Discharge
TT7 - High Intensity Discharge LH Rule of the Road
TT8 - High Intensity Discharge RH Rule of the Road

Basically, if I understand correctly, the RPO is based partially on the option and whether they will be driven on the left or right hand side of the road. As I recall, I've seen both TT6 and TT8 RPO's in US/Canada destined cars.