: $550 to replace one headlight bulb!

Douglass Harroun
12-10-10, 11:11 PM
'06 STS with high intensity halogen bulbs. Can't get at it from under the hood. Dealer had to unfasten or remove tire, fender, bumper- labor was $250. The bulb was $300. (Rock -Auto has it for $175)
Doug

EChas3
12-10-10, 11:33 PM
I think the 'book' is under an hour labor. Members say 20 minutes with practice. (Total 40 minutes?)

HID right? Can't beat CPO.

M.A.C
12-11-10, 12:50 AM
I replaced the entire left headlight with the high intensity and it was not that difficult. I bought a used headlight in excellent condition on ebay for $150. The bumper does not have to be completely removed. Just remove enough fasteners and the 10mm nut that secures the fender and fascia together and gently move the bumper/fascia enough to get at the three 10mm nuts and, if I remember, one small bolt that secures the headlight. Labor at $250, is too much.

malatu
12-11-10, 09:16 AM
I think the 'book' is under an hour labor. Members say 20 minutes with practice. (Total 40 minutes?)

HID right? Can't beat CPO.

When I purchased my CPO, I was told headlight replacements were not included. Also not included in warranty were brakes and battery. With that said, this was just about a year ago. My memory is as good as it's ever been .... just doesn't last as long as it used to!

EChas3
12-11-10, 03:35 PM
My mind is a steel trap... Rusty!

Got my CPO almost 2 years ago. Lucky, I guess.

I used to never replace just one bulb in any car I owned. I always did pairs and saved the 'survivor' in case... Anyone need any used oboslete bulbs?

At the costs now, one used bulb should look close to the survivor anyway. (I never thought I'd recommend using a junkyard light bulb! This is progress?)

Greg00coupe
12-14-10, 12:11 PM
I replaced the turn signal bulb a few weeks ago. Yea it was a little bit of work but not that big of a deal to pull down the fender liner. Headlights are right above. I can't see $250 labor.