: Ipod hookup

flapjack1270
12-10-10, 09:43 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but I just talked to a shop to have installed an ipod hookup in my 04 escalade. they said this in an email "the aux input will start at $250.00 with instillation
for a ismple or alpine unit that you control on the ipod itself...unit
will also charge the ipod.."

My question is, is this worth it? Would it be cheaper/easy for me to do it myself? If so, can you link me to what I need to buy. I dont want it to mess up my XM radio or anything like that.

Thanks

nathanjax
12-10-10, 10:04 PM
I have the Factory Ipod Interface PAC #uPAC-GMC2. It ads the option to the XM input, so XM is input 1, RCA jacks are option 2, headphone jacks ae option 3, and ipod hookup is option 4. It shows the playlist on the screen, basically the same that's on your ipod screen. Control from the steering wheel controls, and overall it's a great unit

flapjack1270
12-11-10, 01:01 AM
Did you do the install yourself? What was the difficulty on installation if you did? I'm going to be taking out the radio in the near future anyway to disconnect the damn wire that prevents me from typing in my GPS while driving anyway.

nathanjax
12-11-10, 09:37 AM
Did you do the install yourself? What was the difficulty on installation if you did? I'm going to be taking out the radio in the near future anyway to disconnect the damn wire that prevents me from typing in my GPS while driving anyway.

I installed myself, but I work/worked in the car audio install business. You need to take out the radio, unplug the xm plug from the radio and plug it into this new harness. Then plug the new harness into the xm slot in the radio. Pretty easy. Especially if you are already taking the radio out to modify that wire.

flapjack1270
12-11-10, 09:42 PM
Perfect, any suggestions on where to order it from?

flapjack1270
12-11-10, 09:44 PM
Is this the correct one? http://www.amazon.com/CLASS-AUXILIARY-INPUT-FACTORY-RADIO/dp/B0015AOI9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1292118226&sr=8-1

06Caddykeith
12-13-10, 12:43 AM
just buy a $20 FM transmitter that plugs into your lighter it charges the ipod while it plays also, thats what we use and it works great especially considering the price diff...plus we can take it out and put in any of our other vehicles including freinds vehicles. here is an example....

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002M03KVC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002YAOS7A&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=1C4TTJ1H5F9CJ6PT3WFK

flapjack1270
12-13-10, 12:47 AM
Keith, I have one of these already, it was around 80 bucks from Radio shack and it doesnt work well in chicago for some reason. Especially in the city.

gmercedesbenz
12-13-10, 01:11 PM
I've never had any luck with FM transmitters, FM waves around here are so jammed with stations and other noise it's impossible to find a decent station. I'm lucky enough to have the older style head unit which has a tape deck and a slave CD Changer. $15 cassette adapter was the best way to go for me. I looked into those adapters that were mentioned above, but every unit that was compatible for my truck made me lose my CD changer, since my deck ins't XM ready.