: electronic ignition ???

HD-Torsten
12-10-10, 07:20 PM
Hi Folks,

I would like to convert my '73 CDV to electronic ignition with HEI Distributor . What do I need for the conversion?

Thanks for your help!

best regards
Torsten

drmenard
12-11-10, 02:31 PM
You can convert the points distrubtor or put in a HEI distrubtor... Another thing to think about... Do you want to take off and get rid of the AIR system? thats the smog pump that pumps air into the exhaust... Putting in a HEI distrubtor is eazyist when the pullies are changed to a no AIR pump pullies.. But the pullies on the waterpump, a/c comp, power steering pump and crank have to be swapped from a latter model...If your A/C does not work taking off the first fan belt gives enough clearance for a HEI distrubtor...

cosmo
12-12-10, 12:04 AM
I converted a '70 by simply R & R 'ing the distributor and adding a heavier gauge wire to power the HEI (10ga).
Dunno about the clearance issue, because I didn't HAVE a clearance issue. Had a two-belt A/C, but there was sufficient clearance nonetheless.

So, to answer your query: you need the distributor and a 10 ga wire, red is the correct colour. To get the most benefit, you'll need the proper sparking plugs, specify from a '76, and gap at 40 thou.

You will notice a difference.

Cosmo

HD-Torsten
12-12-10, 09:05 AM
So, to answer your query: you need the distributor and a 10 ga wire, red is the correct colour. To get the most benefit, you'll need the proper sparking plugs, specify from a '76, and gap at 40 thou.

You will notice a difference.

Cosmo

Hi,

do you have a link for me please, what hardware I need ???

Thanks

best regards
Torsten

drmenard
12-12-10, 11:11 PM
On a 1970 motor , it was the only year with points and no AIR smog pump...But still there was a chance that the first belt would rub on the distrubtor cap.

drmenard
12-15-10, 12:17 AM
I have a good used distrubitor for sale .. PM me

HD-Torsten
12-15-10, 04:08 AM
Thanks for your offer. I've already bought a new distributor.

best regards
Torsten