: Rear Window Defrost & Front Mirrors Defrost

stevec5375
12-10-10, 04:56 PM
This morning on my way to work, the front mirrors and rear windshield were pretty well fogged up. No frost, just fog. I turned on the front and rear window defrosters. Ten minutes later, they are still fogged up. It's as though neither was working. I turned off the heater unit completely (Powered off). Then I turned it back on by pressing "Auto". Lastly, I pressed the front and rear windows defrost buttons. The side mirrors started to defrost but the rear one didn't.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar to this?

jcarlilesiu
12-10-10, 05:05 PM
Do we have heated side mirrors? Usually, the little defrost icon is on the mirror similar to the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" thing, but I don't see that on our car.

I always wondered how to get them to melt the snow and ice that accumulates on the mirror in winter time without trying to use an oversize scrapper and risk scratching the mirror.

stevec5375
12-10-10, 05:09 PM
Do we have heated side mirrors? Usually, the little defrost icon is on the mirror similar to the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" thing, but I don't see that on our car.

I always wondered how to get them to melt the snow and ice that accumulates on the mirror in winter time without trying to use an oversize scrapper and risk scratching the mirror.

From the Premium edition manual:

Rear Window Defogger
=(Rear Window Defogger):
Press to turn the rear window
defogger on or off.
The rear window defogger turns
off automatically after about
10 minutes. If turned on again it
runs for about 5 minutes before
turning off. At higher speeds, the
rear window defogger may stay on
continuously.
The rear window defogger can be
set to automatic operation, see
Climate and Air Quality under
Vehicle Personalization on
page 4‑41. When auto rear defog is
selected, the rear window defogger
turns on automatically when the
interior temperature is cold and the
outside temperature is about 40F
and below. The auto rear defogger
turns off automatically after about
10 minutes. At higher speeds, the
rear window defogger may stay on
continuously.
The heated outside rearview mirrors
turn on when the rear window
defogger button is on and helps to
clear fog or frost from the surface of
the mirror. See Heated Mirrors on
page 1‑21.

TheCaptain
12-11-10, 06:30 AM
When i push front defog, it won't "defog" right away unless the engine is warmish, it will just blow cooler air at the window till it does...
Rear defog works fine...

Smokin' SRX
12-11-10, 09:36 AM
Folks, an important option is available on our X. If you find that all of the windows are fogging up in colder mos, you may have AUTO DEFOG turned OFF. This is a feature that cycles the A/C on a bit to de-humidify air in the cabin when and heat is used. It is very different than the electric grids used on rear window and side mirrors to melt ice/defog them.

The Auto Defog feature can be turned On or OFF in Config menu, under CLIMATE & AIR QUALITY sub menu, right from the dash. I turn mine OFF in the Summer as it causes the A/C to blow a bit cooler than I want, when it senses cabin humidity building, not always when I want less chilly air blowing on me. But now in Winter, moisture fogs our windows often so, I just turned mine ON again, recently. The REAR defog button will not help us clear side windows sufficiently,at times, when only your heater is blowing, with this feature deactivated................ here is my original post:

Re: Too much Air conditioning?

Think I got it! This sled has an "Auto defog" feature that senses humidity build-up and turns on the A/C to condense the moisture in the cabin air.(if the air/vents/defrost are already ON ) It will turn the A/C ON without showing it on the display lights! This will result in the air feeling colder than it did a minute or 2 ago when air vents were first turned ON. A few minutes later it may turn the A/C OFF, also w/o notice

To eliminate the phenomenon, press Config to get to Vehicle Personalization menu, from the center stack, and dial into Climate & Air Quality options. Turn OFF the Auto Defog.

Seems to be working for me so far. Or just leave it ON and turn up your Temp settings as needed and always have dry air, for clearer windows