Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rear Drums Dragging

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  creeker 
#1 ·
Is it normal for rear drums to have a slight drag? The reason why is because I recently replaced my drums and shoes on my 94 FWB, and both wheels were hard to turn, so I adjusted them to allow the wheels to spin more freely, well I did that, and it took more pedal effort to slow down the car. I jacked the car up again, and tighten the brake spring more, well that brought the pedal back up to proper levels but the wheels are harder to turn.

Is this normal? Or are the wheels suppose to spin freely with ease? This is a concern to me because I was wondering if it can affect gas mileage and put stress on the axle.

Thanks guys

#2 ·
There should be a little drag, and they should also self-adjust but only in one direction. That is, if you leave them too loose they'll tighten back up on their own over time. But if you make them too tight the only way for them to loosen up is as the linings wear.

#6 · (Edited)
Drive some 5 miles. Stop and touch the rear rims. They should be cold. If they are hot, readjust immediately before they start smoking. Have you adjusted the parking brake as well? You can adjust the shoes through the knock out opening on the drums. Plug the openings with rubber plugs you can buy at Advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.