Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Question about 100k + V's

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cts-v ls6 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am planning on buying a 04-05 V with some miles on it and I was wondering what I should look for and also what the life on the rear end motor and trans. I can fix almost anything on it but curious what usually breaks and what to look for?

Thanks Dave...

ps. anyone have a 04-05 V for around 10k-13k let me know!

#2 ·
A car with 100k is really no more likely to need a trans, diff or engine mounts than a car with 50k. Depends how it was driven and when stuff was replaced. Some things may be more mileage related like suspension bushings but even at 100k, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I don't think I've seen too many new types of problems with people's cars when they have over 100k, versus well under. It's the same stuff...

#3 ·
I have an '04 V with 169k miles, silver with tan. In the last 3 months:

New (rebuilt) T56 transmission

LS7 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel

New power steering pump

New serpentine belt

New water pump

New front and rear shocks/struts

new trunk gas shocks

New spark plugs and wires

New Weather Tech front floor mats

New K&N air filter

Only used Mobil 1 oil, has Galaxy 1000 blue tooth for phone, CAGS switch, UCC short throw shifter, updated NAV disc, 2006 rear end

Car drives like new, no squeaks or rattles, never wrecked or hit. I travel 4 states, 85% are highway miles.

How about $15k? Car is in Memphis, TN

Jack

#5 ·
120,XXX mile 04 V

original rear

Maggie rebuilt 2 months ago

new T56, LS7 clutch at 65k

Corsa exhaust

dyno tuned

$18K

near Louisville

#7 ·
Someone just bought a V with over 100K for under $10K. Said it runs and drives perfect.
Good luck

Tony

#8 ·
Good luck with the hunt.

You should be good on motor if the maintenance has been done. My compression tests match the original specs.

>173,000 miles

Stage V Tremec @ 103K because of a locked reverse gear
(did an LS7 lightened fly wheel w/ clutch at that time)
Wore out 6th gear and the main shaft at 171K.
Hint: RPM Transmissions.

Replaced Lindsay shifter bushings (orig. installed @ 50K)

Rear end rebuilt @ 40K under warranty and "bullet proofed" @ 171K (changed to 3.42's)

Engine cooling fans died last month

Getting ready to replace the engine mounts (1st time), shocks (1st time), brake rotors (second time) and do the rear axle anti-hop update.

#9 ·
Gene, are the engine cooling fans what kicks on when the car is just idling, like you can actually hear them?

I'm at 118,000. Still feels really good. Definitely depends on how the car was cared for. You can tell when you test drive. After going to V day and seeing Junior's 8,000 mile mint car.... well I've had fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.