: Rear wheel hub replacement help.

cobra671
12-09-10, 09:16 AM
Hello all,

Took my car to the dealership for a diagnostic check as to why my rear end was making a groaning noise that started around 30 mph and just got louder as I increased speed.

Dealer told me I had a bad hub assembly and it would cost around $900 to replace. That's a bit much for me, so I would prefer to do it myself. What I'm looking for is the correct torque specs for the job. i.e. axle nut, hub mounting bolts.

If any of you can point me to a source where I can find this info, I'd greatly appreciate it. A repair manual would be great in this instance too.

Thanks in advance for any input.

EChas3
12-09-10, 11:17 PM
Bad bearing? I don't think a hub rebuild can be done without a press.

Price the assembly direct (a forum supporting vendor?). If you're good with tools, subscribe to Alldata or get the shop manual. It can be counted on to pay for itself.

cobra671
12-10-10, 10:46 AM
EChas3,
Yeah, the bearing in the hub is toast. I'm going to replace the hub assembly as it is easier to locate over a bearing. Where would I find a shop manual? Forum supporter maybe?

Thanks.

Bad bearing? I don't think a hub rebuild can be done without a press.

Price the assembly direct (a forum supporting vendor?). If you're good with tools, subscribe to Alldata or get the shop manual. It can be counted on to pay for itself.

Greg00coupe
12-10-10, 01:45 PM
Back in the day when all cars were RRD we changed out these bearings on a regular basis. Can't think much has changed. A good wheel puller or we even would rig up a chain and use a sledge as a fulcrum and the axle popped out. Then over to NAPA who had the press to change out the bearing. Slide the axle back in engage the pumpkin gears and just torque on the wheel. But that OMgoodness 35 years ago?!?!?

cobra671
12-10-10, 09:15 PM
I imagine that is still possible, but with my limited time, it'll be easier to get the hub first, then go to a self help place to get it put on. I don't have the convenience and shelter of a garage here at my apartment.

EChas3
12-11-10, 12:41 AM
I know things have changed quite a bit from the old rear-end housings to indpendent suspension. I think the dealer warranty hub assembly was around $425. They did not have to do all that much more than pulling the wheel & caliper.

Paper shop manuals are pricey (huge). A DVD is pretty reasonable. Alldata had a promotion a while back and some members help their buddies with access to all make & model cars, mfg TSB's and a lot of other goodies.

Any 'fans' out there?

cobra671
12-18-10, 11:22 AM
I purchased a 1 year subscription to Alldata and I think it looks good so far.

If anyone is interested, the torque spec for the axle nut is 118 ft.lbs. and the hub mounting bolts are 92 ft.lbs. for the rear hub.

If I remember to take my camera, I'll snap a few pictures.

TimmyC
12-19-10, 12:28 AM
I've done this repair before and it's a piece of cake. No press involved. The rear hub is a sealed assembly and bolts on to a knuckle just like the front. The axle nut is 36mm. Follow the manual and pay attention and you'll be fine.

cobra671
12-19-10, 04:46 AM
I've done this repair before and it's a piece of cake. No press involved. The rear hub is a sealed assembly and bolts on to a knuckle just like the front. The axle nut is 36mm. Follow the manual and pay attention and you'll be fine.

TimmyC,

Could you give me some insight to doing this? I tried it today, but got stuck on the shaft removal. The socket would not go onto the hub mounting bolts because the shaft wouldn't go out any further than what I could get it to go, with a puller/pusher tool. And the wire that holds the e-brake shoe was a PITA.

I think if I were able to get that shaft to move just a half inch more, I would've been home free, but that wasn't the case, so I put everything back together and left. This was a bad day for me as far as getting my car fixed was concerned. I will give it a go again next week, when I get back from Boston.

Any idea how to remove the e-brake cable from the brake cylinder hook? That was a PITA also.

Thanks for any advice you can offer up.

C

EChas3
12-19-10, 11:02 AM

I only mentioned a press when I thought someone was going to try to rebuild the assembly. I think I offered a discouraging word. :)

z06bigbird
12-21-10, 03:15 AM
You obviously are not cussing enough. A few choice words always work. lol

cobra671
01-04-11, 06:30 PM
Finally got it done!!! Really a piece of cake. Just takes some patients... okay, a bit more than some.. :) The bottom hub mounting bolt was what took the longest to get out.

Axle nut: 35mm @ 118 ft. lb.
Hub mounting bolts: 18mm @ 92 ft. lb.

bisric99
09-24-13, 12:33 PM
Finally got it done!!! Really a piece of cake. Just takes some patients... okay, a bit more than some.. :) The bottom hub mounting bolt was what took the longest to get out.

Axle nut: 35mm @ 118 ft. lb.
Hub mounting bolts: 18mm @ 92 ft. lb.

I have tried my best and an I can't get a socket on the bolts holding the rear wheel hub...... Do I have to remove the upper control arm? Will that give the axle any play so I can get a bolt on? I tried without removing the upper control arm, because I didn't have the part necessary to remove. Does removing it give me any additional play to change the wheel hub? Please help..... I didn't think anything could be more challenging then my DeVille and DTS, but the STS has topped it!

Thanks,
Richard

ssstealth
11-04-13, 04:44 PM
The factory service manual does say that you must remove the upper ball joint to gain clearance to the hub bolts.

nwjones18
11-04-13, 11:33 PM
EChas3,
Yeah, the bearing in the hub is toast. I'm going to replace the hub assembly as it is easier to locate over a bearing. Where would I find a shop manual? Forum supporter maybe?

Thanks.

I got a GM service manual off Ebay on CD for around 15 bucks, and turns out it has all info for everything 1980-2005 GM. I would highly recommend it.