: Finally Happy after 5 Long Months

embassy
12-08-10, 05:25 PM
Had my SRX for 6 months now and the first month I was fairly happy except for overspray issues on my front windshield and passenger windows. Then the squeaks and rattles started. Dealer solved one right away. It was a loose rear passenger window channel. Not sure how they found it so quickly, but it was appreciated. After that though things began to go downhill and I started having squeaks and rattles that were driving me crazy.

Long story short, I had my SRX into my dealer 5 times for a total of 12 overnights. On a couple of the visits they managed to reduce the rattles but not eliminate them, and on a couple of other visits the noise was worse after than I went in. They tried the sunroof, door trim, panel trim, spare tire cover. I don't even want to guess how much the warranty charges to GM have been.

Finally decided to spend a month and see if I could troubleshoot it myself. This forum was an immense help and people were very helpful in answering my questions. I finally narrowed it down to the roofliner clips that attach to the sunroof frame. Three of the clips were loose on the driver side and when they popped out the noise would stop on the driver side but start occurring on the passenger side. Since my regular dealer could not seem to fix the problem I tried another dealer on the advice of some of you. Two days in their shop and the problem seemed to be worse than better. They didn't even seem to listen to me and were lubricating rubber moldings when I had told them it was the roof liner.

Last week I then developed an awful rattle coming from the rear. My wife said to me, "I may not hear some of the noises that you hear, but that sounds like the bloody rear end is coming off". Tightened up the spare tire and tightened some bolts holding the black boxes around the tire. Still rattle.

Got my recall notice for the power steering recall and took my SRX back to my regular dealer on Monday. Explained that I thought that the rattle and squeaks from the last 5 months were coming from the clips holding the roof liner up. Told them about the rattle from the rear end.

Picked up my car Tuesday morning and all I could say was WoW! This is so pleasant to drive. No more rattles and no more squeaks. I can now relax and enjoy my SRX. The dealer finally fixed it. They pulled the roof liner, applied epoxy to the sliding clips and then reseated the liner. No more noise.

I was really embarrassed though over the source of the noise from the rear. Turns out that it was not in the spare tire compartment, but rather was coming from the rear license plate and frame being loose and banging against the rear hatch. This being my first SUV/Crossover, I never thought to check the license plate/frame. Didn't think that it would make that kind of noise inside the vehicle. Dealer had tightened the plate and no more noise.

Going for a nice long drive tonight and really enjoy my great SRX.

TheCaptain
12-08-10, 05:58 PM
:D A happy ending. Good to hear, embassy.

embassy
03-07-11, 05:07 PM
Sorry to report that the peace and quiet lasted three months and the roof liner clips popped out again. Turned a corner the other day and I thought that I had been shot multiple times as the clips all let loose on the right hand side. Seems that turns torque the roof liner and the clips cannot take the stress and let go. More rattling from rear again as well and it is not the license plate holder this time. Back to the dealer and lets hope that visit 13 is lucky.

tc2010
03-07-11, 11:05 PM
You have been extremely patient and hopefully will continue to be so. Owners of new car models are always subject to growth pains but, the SRX will prove to be an excellent purchase....