: Starting Problems

Underpar
12-08-10, 12:24 PM
The problem I am having is with a 2000 Catera with 63000 miles. After continuous driving about 1-1 1/2 hrs the car will not start. It will crank strong but it will not catch. At first I thought it might be flooded but there is no smell of gas. It acts like a vapor lock. If I then wait about 30 min the car will kick over and run without a problem. It then may not happen for a day or so then the problem occurs again. I had the fuel pump pressure tested and it show fine and it will hold proper pressure over night. The mechanic has hit a wall. The check engine light is on when the car is cranking. Help Please it is getting very frustrating.
Thanks for any help you can give.

hgqguy
12-08-10, 06:17 PM
Im grasping here... but I recal there is a sensor maybe a crack sensor that the wire is very close to an exhaust manifold, and when it ages and gets hot it can cause malfunction.. I know there are some posts.. IDK if this is your problem, but if after cooling down it starts, and the issue is intermittent.. maybe the insulation is cracked, and getting to hot?? with vapor lock you would smell gas. I also know somone who had a lesabre and when the car was hot the fuel pump would shut down till it cooled off, it was a tank mounted fuel pump.

I also had a purge valve stuck open and the car did not want to start when the tank was full and moreso when the car was warm.. have you noticed any other issues, such as only haveing problem when car is full of gas? thats the only time my purge valve was a problem. well when it was full or over 1/2 tank. I never cought a check engine light for that problem.

Im just throwing out a few ideas that I know exist.

USEDCAT
12-08-10, 09:14 PM
Im grasping here... but I recal there is a sensor maybe a crack sensor that the wire is very close to an exhaust manifold, and when it ages and gets hot it can cause malfunction.. I know there are some posts.. IDK if this is your problem, but if after cooling down it starts, and the issue is intermittent.. maybe the insulation is cracked, and getting to hot?? with vapor lock you would smell gas. I also know somone who had a lesabre and when the car was hot the fuel pump would shut down till it cooled off, it was a tank mounted fuel pump.

I also had a purge valve stuck open and the car did not want to start when the tank was full and moreso when the car was warm.. have you noticed any other issues, such as only haveing problem when car is full of gas? thats the only time my purge valve was a problem. well when it was full or over 1/2 tank. I never cought a check engine light for that problem.

Im just throwing out a few ideas that I know exist.
Crankshaft Position Sensor besides the Oil Filter housing. Same happened with me till it became a complete failure and no starts.

Parts search on eBay,

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=catera+crankshaft+sensor+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=catera+cranshaft+sensor&_rdc=1

Good luck.