: Reply to SuperJim -''switching from RWD to FWD

SHOWGIRL
12-08-10, 08:30 AM
tried to reply to my post about FWD vs RWD but it wouldn't 'take' so i had to start this new thread - ! :ill: so it's here - many thanks:
----------------------------------

Showgirl,

I really wish you could have found one liked with MRC...
It would not be the SAME as the big BMW...but it would have been a LOT CLOSER than the regular suspension on the DTS. I'M even wondering if he drove 'today's large BMW (7-series) if he'd find it the 'same' as the old 2000 model ! There were no MRC's in our area - we took a 'used' 2010 with 11k , in service for the DTS was just this past summer so we only 'lost' 6 months on original factory warranty + the CPO warranty. Only way we'd have gotten the MRC was on a 'new' DTS ...we took a 'hit' trading-in our 2 month-old 2010 CTS for this DTS so the least 'expensive' was to get a 'used' DTS.

I too have driven a lot of RWD performance cars over the years.
I currently have a 2006 Chevy truck, which is RWD...obliviously it is no PERFORMANCE vehicle...but it is RWD.I have also (in my younger days) raced on local dirt tracks.All of that was RWD...of course.

I think I understand what he is talking about.
I have also driven several of the regular DTS's when my car has been in for service.
If you like to drive "BRISKLY"...which it seems like he does. Yes ! you're right - ..he will probably always complain about the handling on the DTS without MRC. oh joy ![/COLOR I do...:)[COLOR="DarkRed"] Unfortunately that option (finding one with MRC) is now out of the question - he'd 'never' do another 'trade' - just too expenisve of a venture - LOL
I love my Performance Sedan "WITH" the MRC.

BUT...If I am up in the mountains, and hustling it "BRISKLY" around curves...I "DO" have to keep in mind...it "IS" a FWD and I can't do a 4 wheel drift thru the corners.. :) :) :) So you're basically saying the same thing my husband is -that he has to really 'control' that steering wheel on curves -I didn't think of the word ''drift' in describing the car handling curves but maybe that's what he's trying to say - he felt the BMW & the CTS did just 'that' ...he stated that driving them was 'effortless'... thanks so much for your kind imput ! SG

Texas Jim

Superjim
12-08-10, 09:05 AM
tried to reply to my post about FWD vs RWD but it wouldn't 'take' so i had to start this new thread - ! :ill: so it's here - many thanks:
----------------------------------

One thing you might want to try..to give him a little more "FEEL" of the road...
Increase the air pressure in the tires to 34 front and 32 or 33 rear.
That will FIRM UP the tires a little bit and should give a little better FEEDBACK to the steering wheel.

One other thin..if he will compare the TIRE SIZE on the DTS and the BMW...I think you will find that the BMW had a lower profile tire on it also.
Lower profile means the sidewall of the tire is smaller and thus has much less ROLL to it when cornering.

Lower profile tires will naturally handle better because of less sidewall flex.
That is one other thing the MRC has...lower profile tires. :)
And 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch wheels for the other DTS's.

SO..in summary...:)
Your car will handle a LITTLE bit better with more air pressure... and the only other option I can think of is look for a set of PERFORMANCE WHEELS for it and put the bigger wheels and lower profile tires on it.

It still won't handle like the MRC...but it should be a very noticeable improvement over what it does now.

Jim

SHOWGIRL
12-09-10, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Superjim;2437180]One thing you might want to try..to give him a little more "FEEL" of the road...
Increase the air pressure in the tires to 34 front and 32 or 33 rear.
That will FIRM UP the tires a little bit and should give a little better FEEDBACK to the steering wheel.

One other thin..if he will compare the TIRE SIZE on the DTS and the BMW...I think you will find that the BMW had a lower profile tire on it also.
Lower profile means the sidewall of the tire is smaller and thus has much less ROLL to it when cornering.

Lower profile tires will naturally handle better because of less sidewall flex.
That is one other thing the MRC has...lower profile tires. :)
And 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch wheels for the other DTS's.

SO..in summary...:)
Your car will handle a LITTLE bit better with more air pressure... and the only other option I can think of is look for a set of PERFORMANCE WHEELS for it and put the bigger wheels and lower profile tires on it.

It still won't handle like the MRC...but it should be a very noticeable improvement over what it does now.
---------------------
"As always - your courtesy and help is greatly appreciated now and in the future! :thumbsup:[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Sincerely, SG