: 2003 Esclade SIR Fuse blows

wine1959
12-07-10, 11:10 PM
2003 Esclade that keeps blowing SIR fuse every now and then. Can't figure out what component is causing problem. Closest scanner is 50 miles away so I don't know any codes. Someone please give advice on what I can check or do next. Looking at wiring diagrams that fuse also provides power various other modules. I'm at a road block. Please help

sk7
12-08-10, 08:27 AM
I would inspect the SIR harness that runs under the drivers side seat. Removing the plastic sill plate, you can pry the carpet a bit and take a look for any damages wires. Has any aftermarket accessories been installed in your caddy? Some installers don't always route their harness out of harms way (ie parking brake handle). Wasn't there a TSB on this?

wine1959
12-08-10, 08:45 AM
I would inspect the SIR harness that runs under the drivers side seat. Removing the plastic sill plate, you can pry the carpet a bit and take a look for any damages wires. Has any aftermarket accessories been installed in your caddy? Some installers don't always route their harness out of harms way (ie parking brake handle). Wasn't there a TSB on this?

Thank you for reply: No work or accessories have been added or changed out. Is that the harness that runs to the air bag module and has yellow connectors? If so is there any precautions I need to take while working around module? Fuse is blown and there should be no power there but I just want to make sure. What is a TSB?
Thanks

sk7
12-08-10, 03:55 PM
TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. Gm comes out with those to fix little problems here and there. Correct on the yellow connectors. I'll have a look at the FSM (factory service manual) for the diagram and find is there is a TSB on this issue. If fuse is blown and key in the off position ur good to go!

sk7
12-08-10, 05:12 PM
A few wiring diagrams...

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/SRS.png

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/SRS2.png

I'm pretty sure on my 02 the airbag fuse is located in the I/P fusebox? According to the diagram, center rear view mirror is also powered thru that fuse. Maybe leave it unplugged for a few days see if that takes care of problem?

wine1959
12-12-10, 11:47 PM
Thanks SK7!
SIR fuse still blowing so I got around to pulling floor sill covers off and inspected all wiring harnesses for nicks and or chaffing, also unpluged SDM module (boy that was fun getting to), unpluged rearview mirrow then tried new fuse (only 10 amp) did not blow. Pluged in mirrow, still OK. Plug in wiring harness, still OK. Finally pluged in SDM module and still OK. Maybe I had a loose connection on either SDM module or on relay block under dash or maybe there is still a wiring fault but I've cleared the short for now. Replaced with correct fuse (15 amp) and after two days of using Esclade it is still working good. At least now we can see how cold it is outside by way of the rearview mirrow. Thanks again and I'll keep posting if the problem returns.

sk7
12-13-10, 10:50 AM
Great job keep us posted!