: Has Audi overcome its' reliability problems of yore?

orconn
12-07-10, 04:23 PM
I too place Audi at the forefront of current automotive design, both interior and exterior, and their performance figures place them among the best performing cars today. But I wonder if Audi has really made great progress in overcoming all the problem areas that have plagued the brand for more the thirty years. I hear and see references to the desirability of their various models and when I read them I wonder if the individual has actually owned an Audi or is just speaking from what he has learned from the auto mags or test drive at the dealership?

I actually owned an Audi for seven years (it would have been for much less time but I kept having to try to drive out the cost of repairs to the car) and I have had several friends who have succumbed to the siren song of Audi's sleek design and decent performance. But all of our ownership experience has been similar. All of my friend's cars spent a lot of time in for warranty repairs, and after the warranty period was over in independent garages getting their continuing defects repaired at considerable expense. In fact, I don't know anyone who has owned one who wouldn't tell you that the "Audi experience" was among the worst, if not the worst, car ownership they have had. It certainly was in my case.

Failing and breaking accessories, that didn't just break once but had to be replaced several times over the car's life with me. Over engineered widow regulators that played musical chairs of round robin failure and part breakage over a seven year and 60,000 mile period. Failure to start when neither hot or cold, which was never corrected. Accessories that spontaneously turn themselves on and ran the battery dead while parked in high rise parking lots. Radio antennas that failed and cost more than $500. (in early 1990's dollars) to replace. All in all, a very expensive automotive nightmare. And I am sorry to say my friends who have owned many newer (up till two years ago) have had the same kinds of experience.

I hope Audi has overcome some of these shortcomings, but until i can rest assured that I will not have a repeat of my and my friends previous experiences, I am afraid that, as beautiful as they seem in design and performance, there will be no Audi in my future.

Jesda
12-07-10, 07:13 PM
I've wondered the same. My cousin has a late-model A6 that's been quite dependable. He got it cheap because it needed a coil pack.

I've been longing for an A8 but know I can't keep up with the maintenance on a German full size luxury car. So, I wonder if an A4 or A6 would be any good as a used vehicle. I've always had affection for Audis, but never had the guts (or insanity?) to dive in and buy one.

blue07cts
12-07-10, 10:15 PM
The A4 I have now my mom bought new (it's on 07) and it has almost 90k on the clock, it has actually been one of the most reliable cars either me OR my mom has ever owned, she has bought several AUDI's and this one is by FAR better made and more reliable.

blue07cts
12-07-10, 10:17 PM
The A4 I have now my mom bought new (it's an 07) and it has almost 90k on the clock, it has actually been one of the most reliable cars either of us has ever owned, she has bought several AUDI's and this one is by FAR better made and more reliable. than any of the AUDI's of the past

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-07-10, 11:24 PM
As far as I know, the newer Audi's (within the last 5 years) are a lot better than the older ones. From what I understand, after they moved production OUT of Mexico and back to Germany, reliability improved.

orconn
12-07-10, 11:55 PM
As far as I know, the newer Audi's (within the last 5 years) are a lot better than the older ones. From what I understand, after they moved production OUT of Mexico and back to Germany, reliability improved.

The cars I am familiar with were all A6s or A8s and all were made in Germany.

Playdrv4me
12-07-10, 11:59 PM
Audi is one of the automotive mine-fields I have yet to venture into. I doubt I'd ever do it without a warranty.

hueterm
12-08-10, 09:50 PM
Would they be any worse than a VW? Not that that's good, mind you...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-10, 10:29 PM
Man, I would LOVE a first generation A8L. Drove one shortly after I got the S320, and the A8 felt a lot lighter on it's feet, a lot quicker (duh), but didn't have the huge, airy cabin of the S320. That 40V 4.2L V8 has an awesome sound as well.

orconn
12-08-10, 11:20 PM
Would they be any worse than a VW? Not that that's good, mind you...

Unfortunately, from my experience, the answer is "yes." And to top it off when the problems present themselves you will be paying Audi (more comparable to Porsche) prices for parts and labor. This is for a car that has many parts in common with the Volkswagen. Those same parts you will be paying Porsche/Audi prices for a considerable mark up!

hueterm
12-08-10, 11:24 PM
So basically, all of the expense of a BMW or MB but without the same level of prestige.

Um...no, thanks.

Stingroo
12-08-10, 11:36 PM
Why shop for cars for the brand? If the Audi has more pleasing driving characteristics or styling compared to the BMW or Benz, I'd go for it.

Hell, if I were in the market for any form of "luxury" car today, I'd be first in line at the Audi dealership.

And not just to sing Saudis in Ah-oodis. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-10, 11:41 PM
Audi always targeted it's self to those who didn't necessarily want to stay in the realms of the old school luxury names, for the people who seeked alternative brands for alternative thinkers.

hueterm
12-08-10, 11:44 PM
My love affair ended w/the 5000 CS Turbo Quattro...which now 20+ yrs later, Orconn says was a dog anyway...

But to each their own...

Jesda
12-09-10, 12:01 AM
http://english.pravda.ru/images/photo/2/7/7/41277.jpeg

Stingroo
12-09-10, 12:25 AM
I saw one of those today in black on campus. Guy was riding with his top down despite it being 35 degrees outside. I instantly thought of you, Jesda.

Feels good, man.

ryannel2003
12-09-10, 12:49 AM
Audi has now become the ultimate douche car. BMW's are still a close second.

Stingroo
12-09-10, 01:00 AM
Nah, BMW still holds that title firmly. :lol:

Aron9000
12-09-10, 01:20 AM
Nah, BMW still holds that title firmly. :lol:

No, both of you are wrong, Porsche is BY FAR the #1 douchiest car. Especially the 911 drivers

Jesda
12-09-10, 01:25 AM
I thought the Boxster drivers were worse than the 911 drivers?

ryannel2003
12-09-10, 01:29 AM
Never noticed Porsche drivers before. All the guys around here drive Red BMW's and wear white Oakley's. They like to change lanes in traffic about 50 times, ride your ass, and blast rap music like they're the coolest on the planet. Audi drivers are equal, if not worse.

All the people who drive Porsche's around here are older guys, and much like Corvette owners don't waste time trying to race at every stoplight.

Best thing about my STS is everybody expects a grandpa to be driving it, so nobody pays attention to it which is great when you're trying to show that douchebag in the BMW who's boss.

CIWS
12-09-10, 06:33 AM
Audi has some nice looking and running cars, but this last time I was buying I did not seriously consider one because of their spotty reliability. Even if it's under warranty I don't like having to make several trips / return trips to the dealership. By the next time I purchase again we'll see where things are then.

Stingroo
12-09-10, 08:17 AM
lol Boxster's in South FL are driven by women and g@y men. It's just the truth. ACTUAL 911's are sort of rare, but those little Carerras that are running around don't pose much of an annoyance to anyone very often, unless they travel in a group then they sort of toy with each other.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-10, 08:21 AM
I still think that the BMW is still the douchiest car, atleast in MN. (Sorry Gary)

MauiV
12-09-10, 01:41 PM
fNhiWr6Xqbs&NR=1

ryannel2003
12-09-10, 08:48 PM
Ha that video was part of where my basis of Audi being the new douche car came from. They truely are douche mobiles.

EChas3
12-09-10, 10:48 PM
When shopping cars 2-3 years ago, I sat in every Audi in their showroom. Not one felt more roomy than an STS, which isn't all that spacious, anyway. I only test drove an A6 and wasn't impressed, especially after looking at the sticker.

I had also heard stories about the frequency & expense of ball-joint issues. Audi never made my list. It may be another one of those cars that develop owner loyalty. If the people who like them, really like them, good for them.

MauiV
12-09-10, 11:01 PM
Much like the only Caddies I would own have a V on them the only Audis I have even the slightest interest in have S and RS badges on them. I wish the RS6 was still available here.

Stingroo
12-09-10, 11:39 PM
RS6 Avant... mmm. That's like, my German dream come true.

MauiV
12-09-10, 11:53 PM
I have a buddy with an 02 RS6, bigger snails, tuned, blah blah blah. That car is a total sleeper and can give the V all it wants although the last time we ran I had knock sensor issues and pulled timing

Stingroo
12-09-10, 11:55 PM
I love them. But not many things are cooler than uber wagons. Long live the CTS-V wagon. (Even though those rear tails are goofy, and that D pillar creates a massive ass blind spot...)

drewsdeville
12-10-10, 08:58 AM
I love them. But not many things are cooler than uber wagons. Long live the CTS-V wagon. (Even though those rear tails are goofy, and that D pillar creates a massive ass blind spot...)

???

The tails are what makes it, for me.

Stingroo
12-10-10, 09:19 AM
I don't know, they look HUGE and it drives me nuts. I've only seen like two in person though. Maybe over time they'll grow on me.

Playdrv4me
12-10-10, 06:07 PM
Those tails smacked me across the face the first time I saw them... They are garishly fantastic.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-10-10, 06:08 PM
They look like something off Notre Dame.

fun4foz
05-27-12, 01:55 PM
I can share my experience. I bought an Audi A4 Quatro, manual tran, brand new in Jan 2006, with just about every option you can think of. It is now 6.5 years later and I am still driving it every day. It has about 90,000 miles now. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. Up until the last year, the reliability has been perfect, with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Like you mentioned, Audi has a wonderful interior and drives like a champ. About 9 months ago, I had a window motor go out on the passenger side window (about $300 parts/labor/tax total). About six months ago I had a engine warning light go on. It turned out to be some rubber piston thing the size of your had that had something to do with making a good seal to harvest the turbo power. The rubber has started to crack. (You can tell from my description that I am not a mechanic). The total costs to fix this was $400 (parts/labor/tax). I do not consider $700 over 6.5 years an issue.

I understand your concern. Before I bought my Audi, I surfed message boards like these and read nightmare story after nightmare story about repairs. I have 3 pet theories when I read bad reviews about Audis that I have no data to support.

1. Bad luck. Every car manufacturer makes lemons. All of them.

2. People with experiences like mine tend to enjoy their cars and not write long messages on boards about how wonderful their cars are (OK, I need to get a life) I have seen examples of nightmare stories on message boards that are posted, word for word, on multiple boards, so you might read 10 reviews and have 8 of those negative. You cannot draw the conclusion that 80% are bad.

3. I am sure this is not the instance in your case, but, I think that many people do not really understand the way German cars are engineered. Germans are very specific on maintenance. For example, Audi A4 is know for oil sludge buildup. But when I read many of the threads of people with oil Sludge, they either are not changing the oil frequently enough, or using non-spec. oil and filters. The Germans are not kidding when they say that you must use an engine oil with a certain specification. I see many people ignore this and run to WAL-MART, but some MOBIL 1, a $3 fram oil filter. Then they complain about sludge. My car has been meticulously maintained. Every 3 years, complete flush and changing of ALL fluids (anti-freeze, transmission fluid, freon, brake, etc...) An Audi is NOT a Toyota, where you can be extremely sloppy on maint. and still be OK. If maintained well, you will be rewarded with excellent reliability.

Another point to consider is the quality of the parts themselves are outstanding, so once replaced, it will last a long time. For example, I stopped by the shop when they were replacing all 4 brake disks (done at about 80,000 miles). I could hardly pick up the new brake disks, they were so thick and heavy. You could tell just by holding them that quality was fantastic. It was like something you would put on the space shuttle.

Jesda
05-27-12, 02:17 PM
Germans are very specific on maintenance. For example, Audi A4 is know for oil sludge buildup. But when I read many of the threads of people with oil Sludge, they either are not changing the oil frequently enough, or using non-spec. oil and filters. The Germans are not kidding when they say that you must use an engine oil with a certain specification. I see many people ignore this and run to WAL-MART, but some MOBIL 1, a $3 fram oil filter. Then they complain about sludge. My car has been meticulously maintained. Every 3 years, complete flush and changing of ALL fluids (anti-freeze, transmission fluid, freon, brake, etc...) An Audi is NOT a Toyota, where you can be extremely sloppy on maint. and still be OK. If maintained well, you will be rewarded with excellent reliability.

I wish that was still the case at BMW. Goodbye dipsticks, hello "free" annual oil changes.

orconn
05-27-12, 02:29 PM
I am very happy that you have had such good luck with your Audi. I wish numerous friends of mine and those of my son had been so fortunate. I also admire Volkswagen/Audi design both exterior and interior, I only wish I would opt have to pay such a high "German engineering" tax to enjoy this design. My experience as well those of people I know well verify the high cost of maintenance and repairs. It is all fine and good that some can do their own work on these cars and can save a bundle, however, for those who can afford to buy these cars new, "backyard" repair and maintenance are not really an option. Today to make "big bucks" most have to work long hours that don't leave time or inclination towards self-service auto repair.

The weight of a car's components do not always, might I say ever, equate to the quality of the part. Today the design objective should be to safely get weight out of passenger cars, the German solution to the problem seems to be add horsepower to overcome the insidious weight gains affecting German cars.

CadillacLuke24
05-28-12, 07:56 PM
I don't think there are so much douchemobiles as there are certain brands that douchebags flock to because they view them as a status symbol. BMWs and Audis attract a lot of douchebags, so they are seen as such a brand, sadly. What we often don't see, and end up overlooking, are drivers like Gary :D. People who buy ultimate driving machines for the ultimate driving experience, and use them for exactly that. Gary's pretty good at autocross, if you haven't seen the thread that both Garys have commented on about autocrossing.

As far as luxury automobiles, I'm a strong Cadillac fan, and biased in that sense. Buy what you want :D

Personally though, I'd stick with Cadillacs. You have more DIY support :D

dkozloski
05-29-12, 01:37 PM
Around here the buzz is that you can't drive away from the shop in your Audi because there is a huge force drawing you back. On top of that, the dealer is 360 miles away. If the car falls apart here you have to get somebody local to bubblegum it together good enough to limp to Anchorage with it. That being said, you see one every once in a while with most being bought overseas by servicemen.

brandondeleo
05-29-12, 03:00 PM
Friend of mine owns a car lot, and I came THIS close to swapping my Sebring for a 2001 Audi A6. I love those interiors. The exterior is just so plain. The repair costs scared me away, too.

cadillac kevin
05-29-12, 03:21 PM
Repair costs, Brandon? And you spent how much fixing your deville before the engine grenaded?

brandondeleo
05-29-12, 09:01 PM
I didn't know about the repair costs of that before I bought it. :lol:

dkozloski
05-29-12, 09:01 PM
For my money the very best thing there ever was about Audi was Michelle Mouton. She wasn't just the best woman driver, she was the best ralley driver in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKfzR7dX-c