: Wake up call

jnrsesv
12-07-10, 08:15 AM
Welp fellows over the weekend, the family and I went to Atlanta. We stayed at a very nice hotel downtown with "secured parking", WRONG, woke up Sunday morning went out and guess what.....yeppers an AMATEUR tries getting in. I say amateur because of they went throught the steel part of the door under the handle cup on drivers door and was UNsucessful at gaining entry. But now there is a srewdriver sized hole and a baseball sized dent where the perp tried prying the handle cup out. Normally the vehicle is within eye sight at all times and garaged. What a drag!! I guess it could have been worse, if they would have stolen the truck we would have been stuck, as I have 3 small children all who need saftey car seats.

I have read here about kill switches and alarms. I believe that this weekend I will be installing either or. I am going to have to do some research. Any suggestions from fellow members?

sk7
12-07-10, 11:57 AM
Ur correct about the amateur part! Those doors are soo easy to open with a proper size flat screwdriver, its doesnt even damage the handle much. Also disarms the OEM alarm as well! Taking care of the passlock is also a piece of cake! I got a two way alarm-remote start on my truck. With 5000' of range, its nice to know whats going on with ur vehicule. But a basic alarm system is a must! I got a lot of alarm warning stickers left from my 12V days... Would be happy to mail you a set if u PM me ur adress. If you can scare one away its one less dent to fix!

jnrsesv
12-07-10, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the offer sk, I am looking into whether or not I want to "advertise" a security system or just let them try it again with no luck of starting the vehicle. I had my local auto restorer look at the repair needed he originally quoted $500.00, but I reminded him I pay cash, give a nice bottle of whiskey at the end of the job, he came down another $50.00 plus if I remove the inner door panel, and exterior mirror he'll knock off another $50.00.

So $400.00 and not have to wait days until my vehicle was found stripped, I guess I will live with it, SUCKS, but its far better than what could have happened.

sk7
12-07-10, 08:17 PM
Yeah u got lucky! You can search "black Friday" and find what happened to someones truck while they were gone shopping! Found a few days later completely stripped! Removing mirror, inner panel and outside door handle is no big deal. Post if u need help!

sk7
12-07-10, 08:56 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/185841-black-friday-sucks.html

Tx_Lee
12-07-10, 10:11 PM
theres a product from Mavizon coming out early next year that could be beneficial to you... its called Autobot - http://www.mavizontech.com/MeetAutobot.htm
Probably wont be better than an aftermarket alarm, but does have some security features that could help you....