: OnStar Subscription Renewal

Cooper10
12-07-10, 06:39 AM
One year free OnStar will exipre soon on my 2010 SRX. I just priced OnStar and seems more expensive than the special renewal on XM radio. Any special pricing
for OnStar through the cancellation department?

Fees posted for OnStar renewal:
1/year Safe and Sound without navigation $199
1/year Directions and Connections $299

smiley47
12-07-10, 09:22 AM
My subscription expires in January so I'm also looking for a better deal. The best I've heard of on the GM blogs is $148 for 1 year Safe & Sound. I haven't heard of any discounts on the Directions and Connections plan but hopefully there's a deal out there somewhere.

I'd rather have Directions and Connections but I WILL NOT pay $299 for something I use maybe 5-10 times a year.

Ponyman
12-07-10, 10:44 AM
This may be a dumb question, but assuming that your car has the navigation, why would you need the direrctions and connections? Ours has the navigation and I have never used directions and connections. On my 07 Avalanche and 09 HHR I had the On Star turned off, and bought a Garmin with lifetime updates. I know this does nothing in case of an accident, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

sube5186
12-07-10, 02:30 PM
This may be a dumb question, but assuming that your car has the navigation, why would you need the directions and connections?

My feelings exactly. I can see where this might appeal to some people who aren't very tech savvy. People who don't like buttons and gadgets are generally more comfortable just pushing a button and "asking" for directions. But then why would somebody like that even be interested in the SRX in the first place? Beats me, but those folks do exist. Also, some people forget that this feature of OnStar was popular when Nav systems weren't as prevalent. Now, having both seems redundant.

I don't think the convenience of directions and connections is worth the extra cost. I renewed with just Safe & Sound for $148.92 a year. Just tell them you have a friend who gets it for that rate. They'll give it to you without haggling. You should also know that your insurance co. provides an additional discount to your policy for OnStar. This is in addition to any discounts for passive security systems. You may not even know you're getting the discount because it's calculated based on your VIN. Whether you've told them or not, your ins. co. already knows you have OnStar. In my particular case, with discounts it comes out to about $11 a month. The Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance alone are worth that. If you ever have your car stolen or wind up unconscious after an accident, you'll be thankful you have it.

Sube

drjdan
12-08-10, 12:58 AM
If you have a 2011 model with Nav, OnStar can send directions directly to the Nav system. That way you can directions when you going down the road and decide you want to use the Nav and don't have to stop and program.

Ponyman
12-08-10, 08:10 AM
Pretty sure OnStar can do that to the 2010's also. Question is is that small convenience worth the price you pay. For me no. I like Sube will just renew the Safe and Sound.

stevec5375
12-08-10, 08:13 PM
My feelings exactly. I can see where this might appeal to some people who aren't very tech savvy. People who don't like buttons and gadgets are generally more comfortable just pushing a button and "asking" for directions. But then why would somebody like that even be interested in the SRX in the first place? Beats me, but those folks do exist. Also, some people forget that this feature of OnStar was popular when Nav systems weren't as prevalent. Now, having both seems redundant.

I don't think the convenience of directions and connections is worth the extra cost. I renewed with just Safe & Sound for $148.92 a year. Just tell them you have a friend who gets it for that rate. They'll give it to you without haggling. You should also know that your insurance co. provides an additional discount to your policy for OnStar. This is in addition to any discounts for passive security systems. You may not even know you're getting the discount because it's calculated based on your VIN. Whether you've told them or not, your ins. co. already knows you have OnStar. In my particular case, with discounts it comes out to about $11 a month. The Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance alone are worth that. If you ever have your car stolen or wind up unconscious after an accident, you'll be thankful you have it.

Sube

Thanks a lot Sube! I just renewed at the $148.92 rate and no haggling. Just as you said.

sube5186
12-08-10, 10:21 PM
Thanks a lot Sube! I just renewed at the $148.92 rate and no haggling. Just as you said.

Don't mention it. :)

jcarlilesiu
12-10-10, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure OnStar can do that to the 2010's also. Question is is that small convenience worth the price you pay. For me no. I like Sube will just renew the Safe and Sound.

That is what the voice commands are for. Just push the button on the steering wheel which looks like somebody is talking and say:

Say: DESTINATION

System Response: "Say City Name" or "Change State"

Say: CHICAGO

System Response: "Select Item Number" or "Go Back"

Say: One (usually pretty accurate I have to say)

System Response: "Say Street Name" or "Go Back"

Say: Main Street

System checks again to make sure they understood

Then say the number and you are good to go.

The more you use the voice commands the easier it gets to get used to. I use it for alot of things now. Voice dialing through my phone, navigation, and sources on the radio.

I was frustrated with it at first, but once you get used to it, its pretty easy.

smiley47
12-10-10, 05:25 PM
I just renewed Safe & Sound for the $148.92 mentioned earlier by several posters. They did however offer Directions & Connections for $249 which is $50 off the earlier quoted price for anyone interested in that program. I just don't use it enough to justify the extra expense.

I asked them to bill me (instead of giving my cc number)and they said "no problem".

doctormstein1
12-10-10, 06:30 PM
If you have a 2011 model with Nav, OnStar can send directions directly to the Nav system. That way you can directions when you going down the road and decide you want to use the Nav and don't have to stop and program.

2010 can do this also

stevec5375
12-10-10, 07:37 PM
I like the ability to go to either mapquest.com or google maps and define a route and send it to OnStar. Then, using Virtual Advisor you can have it downloaded into the Nav in the SRX.

If I'm planning a trip to an unknown destination, this is what I often do. Then it's always available via the Virtual Advisor.

See: http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/enavoverview

stevec5375
02-07-12, 11:04 AM
I got a letter from OnStar that my plan was about to expire. I got an in-car message that my plan was about to expire. I got an email that my plan was about to expire. I IGNORED THEM ALL!

Today I went on the OnStar web site and there was a new option. "Directions and Connections" for 9.95 per month plus tax.

So $10.77/month is $129.24/year. I don't think I've seen it cheaper than that.

Thank you for your order

OnStar Plan DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS $ 9.95/month
Tax $ 0.82/month
Subtotal $ 10.77/month
Total $ 10.77

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-12, 01:25 PM
I need to renew my directions/connections this coming April - I wonder if they have the rate you just got, if there's an even better offer if you call and threaten to cancel.....
Anyone get a better rate than $10.77/month????

TheCaptain
02-08-12, 06:34 AM
You guys sure are lucky. OnStar Safe and Sound package is $24.95 / month here... :(

algiorda
02-08-12, 07:12 AM
I like the ability to go to either mapquest.com or google maps and define a route and send it to OnStar. Then, using Virtual Advisor you can have it downloaded into the Nav in the SRX.

If I'm planning a trip to an unknown destination, this is what I often do. Then it's always available via the Virtual Advisor.

See: http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/enavoverview

Nine times out of 10 my In Car Navigation system is more accurate than MapQuest and Google.

stevec5375
02-11-12, 03:10 PM
I got a letter from OnStar that my plan was about to expire. I got an in-car message that my plan was about to expire. I got an email that my plan was about to expire. I IGNORED THEM ALL!

Today I went on the OnStar web site and there was a new option. "Directions and Connections" for 9.95 per month plus tax.

So $10.77/month is $129.24/year. I don't think I've seen it cheaper than that.

Thank you for your order

OnStar Plan DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS $ 9.95/month
Tax $ 0.82/month
Subtotal $ 10.77/month
Total $ 10.77

I think I better do some clarification on what I posted before. It turns out that I'm NOT getting Safe & Sound for $9.95/month. I went on the OnStar web site today and discovered that they had me set up for Directions & Connections at $28.95 !! I called them and asked them what was up. They said that the $9.95 I paid was the $18.95 for Safe and Sound plus the additional $9.95 bringing my monthly total to $28.90. That's when I told them that was not what I intended and that their web site was very confusing. So in the end, after I threatened to cancel, I got the $149 + taxes Safe and Sound deal and managed to get 6 months of Directions and Connections thrown in for free.

The ONLY reason that I want Directions and Connections is so that I can use the feature where you download a route from Google Maps or MapQuest to OnStar and then retrieve it via the Virtual Adviser. I have no use for all the other Directions and Connections features.

I wish they would offer an a la carte plan where you can just choose the features you want.

daddie2k3
02-14-12, 05:20 PM
if you have a 11 or 12 i would say the main reason for directions and connections would be the remotelink app on smartphones as i use this all the time in the winter for remote starts without being remotely close to car and not even looking i usually do it in mid conversation with a co-worker before we get off and never miss a beat in the conversation...it is so handly but dont know if its $300 handly lol...i will keep looking for a deal because mine expire on 3/15

----------

correction...i think the only feature on the app with directions and connections is sending directions to you nav so all you have to do is get in car and ride

GGMiv
02-23-12, 10:07 PM
I called OnStar after my free Directions and Connections auto-renewed with monthly charges. I was into the 2nd month of monthly charges and told them I wanted to cancel. The person was very nice and kept offering me better and better deals to get me to stay. I ended up paying $150 for a year of safe and sound with 6 months of free directions and connections. She also refunded the 2 months of monthly charges and the new expiration is one year from the free 2 months so it's really 14 months for $100. She looked at my usage of d&c for the free year and saw that I had only used it 3 times so she said it didn't look like I needed it. I usually use my portable Garmin unit but I may use the d&c tomorrow since I have to go to another location for work tomorrow and I'm not exactly sure how to get there. If I get lost I can just push the button and get directions from where I am. We'll see. I tried to get her to renew it for 2 years at a really cheap price to take me to the end of my lease but it was a no-go. Don't know why but I guess I'll have to renegotiate the last 10 months of the lease.

She also let me keep all of my phone minutes. She said that Verizon doesn't like it when they do that but it was another thing she could offer me to stay. I bought extra minutes before I left the showroom for $10. It's how they get you to give them a credit card to autorenew.

cadigirlchicago2
03-12-12, 04:46 PM
I need to renew my directions/connections package - anyone else renew this one and what is the best rate you negotiated?
Thanks!

stevec5375
03-12-12, 05:38 PM
I called OnStar after my free Directions and Connections auto-renewed with monthly charges. I was into the 2nd month of monthly charges and told them I wanted to cancel. The person was very nice and kept offering me better and better deals to get me to stay. I ended up paying $150 for a year of safe and sound with 6 months of free directions and connections. She also refunded the 2 months of monthly charges and the new expiration is one year from the free 2 months so it's really 14 months for $100. She looked at my usage of d&c for the free year and saw that I had only used it 3 times so she said it didn't look like I needed it. I usually use my portable Garmin unit but I may use the d&c tomorrow since I have to go to another location for work tomorrow and I'm not exactly sure how to get there. If I get lost I can just push the button and get directions from where I am. We'll see. I tried to get her to renew it for 2 years at a really cheap price to take me to the end of my lease but it was a no-go. Don't know why but I guess I'll have to renegotiate the last 10 months of the lease.

She also let me keep all of my phone minutes. She said that Verizon doesn't like it when they do that but it was another thing she could offer me to stay. I bought extra minutes before I left the showroom for $10. It's how they get you to give them a credit card to autorenew.

OnStar is sneaky. I renewed in February for a similar deal you got. Just now I open my email to find a "FINAL NOTICE" telling me I need to update my credit card. Why? I'm paid up for a year of Safe and Sound with 6 free months of Directions and Connections. I used a Discover Card secure account number. Could it be they're trying to run more charges on it and it was rejected. I don't trust them one little bit.

cadigirlchicago2
03-13-12, 11:00 AM
Just tought I’d share – I did some checking online and found another forum where someone said they got directions/connections for $148.92 – this wasn’t exactly the case, they are offering SAFE & SOUND plus 6 mths of directions/connections free for $148.92. Then I just need to call back in 6 mths to negotiate the directions part again. They also rolled my phone minutes.
Better than the regular $299 annual fee for directions or the lowered $249 rate they tend to offer.

I guess they have another offer where you only pay for the directions when you use it vs. paying for a package but I didn’t ask much more about it.

sube5186
03-13-12, 12:56 PM
They won't "volunteer" this information, but both OnStar and XM will allow you to pay by invoice. After you've negotiated the best price, just tell them to send you an invoice in the mail. They will actually continue your service, even though it's not paid yet. With XM they give you 90 days after receiving the bill in the mail to pay. OnStar is similar, except I'm not sure of the exact time period you have to pay buy. If you use a temporary credit card that expires shortly after the transaction, when you come up for renewal they'll automatically attempt to renew your subscription (using that card) at their regular price. When the card is rejected, they'll immediately cancel your subscription, causing you more headaches. I keep track of both OnStar and XM expiration dates and call about a week before expiration. This year my OnStar subscription expired about a week before it was scheduled to. I called and informed them of this. Actually, I raised holy hell because I'd been riding around with no crash notification, vehicle locator or stolen vehicle slow down and didn't even know it. They apologized and gave me three months of Directions & Connections for free on top of my year of Safe & Sound. Big deal. I never use D & C anyway. I find it intrusive and a little creepy having some stranger's voice emanating from my car's interior. Besides, I'm quite competent using my Nav system and just don't need D & C.

Sube

shortspark
03-13-12, 01:36 PM
I've checked around and it looks like I still do not have a good grasp of this OnStar thing (I am thinking of buying a 2013 SRX but have not actually test driven any SRX yet). I don't care for any of the accident tracking or XM radio stuff and I assume the built in navigator does the voice directions. I have a cheap, stand alone Garmin on the dash of my truck. All I do is program it for certain places or pop in a new address and it calculates the best way to get there (shortest by time or mileage). "Jill" is the little voice inside the Garmin that barks out directions to turn and how far it is before the next required turn. Does not the directions navigator built in the SRX do that? I always assumed it did and that OnStar was to help police locate your car and that sort of thing but has nothing to do with the navigator. If I am wrong about this, then what does that pop up screen actually do?

sube5186
03-13-12, 02:37 PM
I've checked around and it looks like I still do not have a good grasp of this OnStar thing (I am thinking of buying a 2013 SRX but have not actually test driven any SRX yet). I don't care for any of the accident tracking or XM radio stuff and I assume the built in navigator does the voice directions. I have a cheap, stand alone Garmin on the dash of my truck. All I do is program it for certain places or pop in a new address and it calculates the best way to get there (shortest by time or mileage). "Jill" is the little voice inside the Garmin that barks out directions to turn and how far it is before the next required turn. Does not the directions navigator built in the SRX do that? I always assumed it did and that OnStar was to help police locate your car and that sort of thing but has nothing to do with the navigator. If I am wrong about this, then what does that pop up screen actually do?

OnStar does a whole bunch of things besides navigation. It even analyzes your vehicle and emails you a monthly diagnostic report. Click on the links under each service at the below link for a detailed description. A one year OnStar subscription comes free with the SRX. After that, you choose whether or not you want to renew. If you don't renew, you still have the built-in Nav, assuming your car is equipped with it. Yes, the built-in Nav system provides audible and visual instructions. The pop-up screen shows you a map, which accompanies the verbal commands.

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Sube

shortspark
03-13-12, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the link, I have read most of that before but I was unsure why they would provide voice directions when the built in navigator already has it. I suppose it is just an extra to go along with the other stuff. I can see where the directions with OnStar can be entered with voice and a person on the other end tells you where to go rather than a computer voice (I hope they get overtime if I'm going on a cross country trip!!). I can also see the benefit of downloading a pre-existing route made from Google maps. Well, anyway, since its free the first year it sure can't hurt to try it.

algiorda
03-13-12, 09:08 PM
You do not need OnStar for Navigation. The onboard Navigation system beats the Garmin units (I have 3) to a pulp; at least in the NY and Florida areas. I am in LOVE with my Nav unit in the SRX.

OnStar does a whole bunch of things besides navigation. It even analyzes your vehicle and emails you a monthly diagnostic report. Click on the links under each service at the below link for a detailed description. A one year OnStar subscription comes free with the SRX. After that, you choose whether or not you want to renew. If you don't renew, you still have the built-in Nav, assuming your car is equipped with it. Yes, the built-in Nav system provides audible and visual instructions. The pop-up screen shows you a map, which accompanies the verbal commands.

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Sube

sube5186
03-13-12, 09:52 PM
You do not need OnStar for Navigation.

Very true. I mentioned this in an earlier post. OnStar Nav is a throw back from the old days of navigation, when cars didn't have Nav screens. Back then your only choice was to have some person tell you where to go. Personally, I like to "see" the upcoming road, turn, off-ramp, etc. on a map. There is also another option I'm sure some folks don't know about. You can press the OnStar button and simply tell them to download directions to your car. That way, you don't have to continue to hold a conversation with them, which can be a dangerous diversion. The DIC (little blue screen) displays the "next turn", so you don't have to decipher an overly complex map while driving.

Sube

Marc NY
03-14-12, 07:26 AM
Sube is correct!

One added advantage of using On-Star's "Turn by Turn" Navigation is that you can call them on the fly and ask for directions at anytime during your trip and they will then automatically download the instructions to you as you are driving. You don't have to have a map with you because the driving directions will appear on your radio or even in your DIC. Another nice advantage is you can call them and ask about alternate routes or a place to stop for gas, food or lodging. They will even call ahead and make hotel reservations for you if you want. You won't have to worry if you happen to see that all the hotels or motels are booked up on your travels... they will try and find you one that isn't. :)

Another nice feature by having Turn by Turn directions is that you could use MapQuest for your map directions and then upload it to OnStar. Then once you are in your vehicle all you have to do is download it from OnStar! You won't have to try and input all that information into your Nav screen ... saves you some added frustration and time too. :thumbsup: