: Switched from RWD car to DTS FWD - is there a 'period of adjustment' ?

SHOWGIRL
12-06-10, 09:05 PM
Hello - my husband, a first-time DTS (2010-used 'premium') owner of almost one-1/2 months and first-time experiencing FWD asks if anyone else came from years of driving RWD cars to the DTS only to find a period of 'adjustment' is needed to get used to the steering in the DTS (FWD) ? (especially going around highway curves. -this DTS does 'not' have MRC)
Another factor also could be this: besides only owning RWD's, this DTS is the first 'non-sports' suspension car he's driven in over 11 years also = perhaps there are two dynamics involved for him ( FWD + non-sports suspension).
The DTS is a gorgeous, roomy, comfortable riding car with amazing seats !
Many thanks for any input ! :confused:

tedcmiller
12-07-10, 12:34 AM
Aside from the "understeer" vs. "oversteer" issue, that only manifests itself when you drive the vehicle hard, I don't think that any modern car is going to seem very different when going from RWD to FWD.

Jesda
12-07-10, 06:51 AM
Its definitely an issue of the DTS being the DTS, rather than FWD vs RWD. If you had a softly sprung RWD car and drove it similarly, you'd notice the same behavior around curves, at least until you push it to the limit and get understeer or oversteer, at which point most drivers have lost control of the car.

SHOWGIRL
12-07-10, 07:49 AM
Aside from the "understeer" vs. "oversteer" issue, that only manifests itself when you drive the vehicle hard, I don't think that any modern car is going to seem very different when going from RWD to FWD.
--------------
Humm interesting ...o.k. last one he owned prior to this DTS was a 2000 BMW large sedan, RWD ..wonder if he'd try a 2010 he'd find that car also 'different' from the former...ie comparing 2010 to 2010 (not 2000 to 2010) thanks so much !

SHOWGIRL
12-07-10, 08:15 AM
Its definitely an issue of the DTS being the DTS, rather than FWD vs RWD. If you had a softly sprung RWD car and drove it similarly, you'd notice the same behavior around curves, at least until you push it to the limit and get understeer or oversteer, at which point most drivers have lost control of the car.
---------------
What you wrote above is very interesting !! We do have a RWD 1993 Buick Roadmaster StationWagon (dubbed ..''trialways bus')....and you're right !!! when he drives it he DID mention the steering 'is' similar to the DTS in that he must 'hold' the wheel of the DTS guiding it firmly when taking highway curves !!! (hasn't had the Roadmaster on the highway for eons but i'm betting he'd say the same thing about it taking curves !!)
But feels the '93 also is far more 'lucy-goosie' in general driving around-town in its handling on a 'straight-away' (he describes it as ''all over the road'') while the DTS has a more 'firm' feeling to it and is not all over the road as is the '93 Buick.
He had a 2000 RWD BMW for 10+yrs before for the DTS but i'm betting the BMW was 'not' a 'softly sprung RWD car ! so he can't make a 'fair' comparrison.
After selling the BMW but Prior to buying this DTS he tried the 2010 RWD, CTS wagon 3.6 with sports suspension for about 2 months and that's the kind of road-handling/steering he likes (hugging the road similar to his former 2000 BMW and practically steering itself around highway curves ) but we couldn't cope with the very uncomfortable hard seats of the CTS -so at our age to get the 'room' close to a wagon (trunk space) we decided to take the DTS with comfortable (but very supportive) seats.
Think this will just take him 'time' to adjust to the DTS - Many, many thanks so much for your insight !!!

Superjim
12-07-10, 12:23 PM
Showgirl,

I really wish you could have found one liked with MRC...
It would not be the SAME as the big BMW...but it would have been a LOT CLOSER than the regular suspension on the DTS.

I too have driven a lot of RWD performance cars over the years.
I currently have a 2006 Chevy truck, which is RWD...obliviously it is no PERFORMANCE vehicle...but it is RWD.

I have also (in my younger days) raced on local dirt tracks.
All of that was RWD...of course.

I think I understand what he is talking about.
I have also driven several of the regular DTS's when my car has been in for service.
If you like to drive "BRISKLY"...which it seems like he does...he will probably always complain about the handling on the DTS without MRC.

I do...:)

I love my Performance Sedan "WITH" the MRC.

BUT...If I am up in the mountains, and hustling it "BRISKLY" around curves...I "DO" have to keep in mind...it "IS" a FWD and I can't do a 4 wheel drift thru the corners.. :) :) :)

Texas Jim