: Water pump removal - help!!!! I hate pulleys!

lochenjons
12-06-10, 07:12 PM
'85 RWD with a 4.1....

So I boiled my overheating problem down to the water pump, whenever you would pour coolant in the radiator, eventually it would pour out behind the fan. I've got all the belts off; i've got the balancer, crank pulley, fan, alternator, etc off. everything is out of the way except for this :canttalk: pulley that sits on the drivers side of the water pump; it powers the power steering. There are two bolts that hold the water pump on directly behind the pulley. The manual shows a nice little "easy access hole for hard to reach bolts" on the pulley but there is no such thing on this pulley. There is no way to get to these two bolts. There's no way to get the water pump off without these bolts. How the heck do you get the pulley off???? or the bolts off???

I stuck an 8mil alan key in the middle of the pulley and put vice grips on the middle of the stupid thing, is that how you get it off? which way is it supposed to spin? i hate this thing... a 2-3 beer job has turned into a 12 pack

csbuckn
12-06-10, 10:26 PM
Power steering pulley puller and installer. Its a tool you have to rent from the parts store. You need it to get it off and back on.

FreshPaint
12-06-10, 11:30 PM
I don't know about a 4.1... But on my 5.0 you can reach the top 5/8 nut through the easy access hole, but I crawled under my car and used a 5/8 ratcheting wrench behind the pulley to loosen it. You may be able to just remove the entire power steering pump though. Took me 11 hours to change my water pump, and now my timing cover gasket goes...fml

lochenjons
12-07-10, 09:50 AM
wow that's bad timing. I'm going to go down to the auto store and rent a puller. I didnt know you needed one fo removing the pulley thanks

lochenjons
12-07-10, 07:54 PM
got the pulley off. got the water pump off! cleaned it up, put the new gasket on, and sealed everything up! started pouring coolant in only to find that the water pump itself cracked right below where the fan mounts to. :bomb: time for some JB weld and crossed fingers!

jayoldschool
12-07-10, 09:29 PM
Don't bother. A water pump is so cheap that you should change it. Yes, I know it sucks to do the job twice, but just think of how fast you can do it. Also, think about how bad it will be when you kill that fragile 4.1 from overheating after that crack opens up ;)

tombomb661
12-23-10, 04:57 PM
did you use a pulley to get it off?

brougham
12-26-10, 02:49 PM
Why go to the bother if trying to fix the water pump? Just get a new one. You'll probably spend the time fixing the crack and find out its from the weep hole anyway.

David Olinger
01-24-11, 01:56 PM
how do u get the water pump pully back on?

David Olinger
01-24-11, 02:02 PM
Power steering pulley puller and installer. Its a tool you have to rent from the parts store. You need it to get it off and back on.

How do u get it back on with the puller tool?

csbuckn
01-24-11, 04:40 PM
There should be another piece in the kit that has a floating washer on a bolt that has thread that gets smaller , you hold the pulley in place, thread the bolt in and keep tightening the floating washer piece. On the kits I've used, the installer piece was seperate from the remover. Hard to explain but hopefully it makes sense.