: Tps voltage emergency

The-Dullahan
12-06-10, 04:49 PM
Okay, five days of not having a car later, still the same issue. My Garage has tried the TPS I gave them (brand new) AND another since then and for whatever reason, the idiot light keeps coming on for low TPS voltage (which is reading out low on the voltmeter as well) and I can't just go on not having a car. The voltage is continually low and erratic, in spite of the TPS being replaced. What could be causing this?

outsider
12-06-10, 04:53 PM
You may need to have your carb rebuilt.

I know after I put on my "new" carb i was still getting some TPS problems. I took it to my mechanic and he found that the accelerator arm (that pushes on the TPS) was bent or something. Have you tried adjusting the TPS? To access the adjusting screw you need to drill out a little cap and you need a special little tool to turn the screw.

turbojimmy
12-06-10, 05:28 PM
Okay, five days of not having a car later, still the same issue. My Garage has tried the TPS I gave them (brand new) AND another since then and for whatever reason, the idiot light keeps coming on for low TPS voltage (which is reading out low on the voltmeter as well) and I can't just go on not having a car. The voltage is continually low and erratic, in spite of the TPS being replaced. What could be causing this?

Could it be the voltage source? If memory serves, the TPS is 5V. On my Grand National (also an '87), I'm pretty sure the transformer that provided the 5V power source was part of the dash. I know it sounds strange, but this is my recollection. Casper's Electronics rebuilt them.....

Make sure you have 5V at one of the wires (I don't recall which color - might be gray?).

The-Dullahan
12-06-10, 07:10 PM
Well, after all the fun of that, the TPS voltage is stable, if not entirely proper. I drove all the way home with no engine lights and my mechanics had ordered a better TPS from NAPA, but that arrives tomorrow, so I had to take it as is with the cheaper TPS it has in it now. The one my car had prior to bringing it was shit, voltage all over the place. Next time I am inevitably there, they will check out the new one, because this has gotten them curious. My carb seems to just have a conscious mind of it's own. Anyhow, the car, apparently dubbed "The Chick Magnet" by the guys at the shop, except the one who won't go near it, because it is "possessed" is back.