: Remote start with heat/seats/defrost yes or no, does anybody really know?

gary R.
12-06-10, 12:20 PM
I've read every thread I can find on the subject and the only conclusion I can come up with is that each and every 2006 DTS made is different???
When I do a remote start I get NOTHING OTHER THAN THE ENGINE. No heater, no heated seats, to defrost, no radio... nothing. As far as the heat/defrost part I can only assume the 10 minutes the car runs on remote start is not long enough for the engine to warm up even in the garage. Interested in any other comments on this subject.
Thanks,
Gary

Rusty058
12-06-10, 05:20 PM
I've read every thread I can find on the subject and the only conclusion I can come up with is that each and every 2006 DTS made is different???
When I do a remote start I get NOTHING OTHER THAN THE ENGINE. No heater, no heated seats, to defrost, no radio... nothing. As far as the heat/defrost part I can only assume the 10 minutes the car runs on remote start is not long enough for the engine to warm up even in the garage. Interested in any other comments on this subject.
Thanks,
Gary

AMAZING! I was just coming here to post the EXACT same thing.I get the heated seat but no heater.Doesn't matter if I leave it on "auto" or just "on".In fact today I got cold air blowing out after the engine was warmed up.Shut the car off and turned it back on and bingo! I got heat.-John

gary R.
12-06-10, 05:30 PM
Rusty058--keep watching as will I, maybe in awhile we'll get some answers. The manual sure doesn't say much about the subject as you probably already know.
Gary

tedcmiller
12-06-10, 07:28 PM
My wife's 2008 DTS turns everything on, just as it was left when she shut it down, using the remote start feature.

TulsaVic
12-06-10, 07:47 PM
Ditto to tedcmiller. The only thing that doesn't come on--which is definitely a shortcoming in Tulsa summers--is the seat coolers. The seat heater will come on if left on when you exited the vehicle and the outside temp is below, I believe, 45F.

HartfordGuy
12-06-10, 10:35 PM
I used my remote starter several times today. Granted that the first cold start of the morning it does take a while before the engine warms up enough for the heater to kick on. But the rear defrost comes on instantly when remote started if cold enough. I remote started it before leaving work tonight and the car was plenty warm when I got in it.

Superjim
12-07-10, 10:15 AM
I have used the remote start on mine ... A LOT...in the past 5 years.
Depending on the temperature...when it is remote started...the heated seats come on...the heater comes on and if there is anything on the windshield, like frost...the front and rear defrosters "BOTH" come on.

It only takes about 3 or 4 minutes before the heater is blowing warm air...

Texas Jim

fez111
12-08-10, 12:16 AM
I also have an '06 DTS. It was 10 degrees in Chicago this morning. I hit the remote start from the hotel room. I was surprised to see that the rear defog was also working. I never knew it did that. But I most certainly agree with you. 10 minutes is not nearly enough run time when the car sits out all night and its below freezing. Anybody know how to increase the max time?

Superjim
12-08-10, 08:42 AM
I also have an '06 DTS. It was 10 degrees in Chicago this morning. I hit the remote start from the hotel room. I was surprised to see that the rear defog was also working. I never knew it did that. But I most certainly agree with you. 10 minutes is not nearly enough run time when the car sits out all night and its below freezing.
Anybody know how to increase the max time?

Yep...after it turns itself off the first time.... you can start it again for another 10 minutes. :)

As far as I know...there is no way to increase the run time for EACH start... but you can start it 2 times for a longer TOTAL run time.

Jim

Yellowelephant
12-08-10, 10:49 AM
I also have an '06 DTS. It was 10 degrees in Chicago this morning. I hit the remote start from the hotel room. I was surprised to see that the rear defog was also working. I never knew it did that. But I most certainly agree with you. 10 minutes is not nearly enough run time when the car sits out all night and its below freezing. Anybody know how to increase the max time?

The remote vehicle start feature provides two separate starts, each with 10 minutes of engine running, or it provides one start with 10 minutes of engine running that may be extended with 10 more minutes. If you press and release the transmitter lock button and then press and hold the remote start button on the remote keyless entry transmitter again before the first 10 minutes of engine running time has expired, 10 minutes are added to the remaining minutes. For example, if the lock button and then the remote start buttons are pressed again after five minutes of the engine run time, 10 minutes are added and you now have 15 minutes of engine running. The added ten minutes are considered a second remote vehicle start.

Kenwood
12-10-10, 12:48 PM
Hi Gary,
I'm wondering if the variable here is the outside temperature. I believe the seats and defrosters don't kick in until you drop below that threshold (whatever that magic number is). If your car is in the garage, what is the temperature in the garage? My garage is attached to my home, and while it is not separately heated, it is insulated and when it's 20 degrees outside, it's still around 50-55 degrees in my garage. If it's -5 degrees outside, I may be in the 30's inside the garage.

Lastly, if your garage is attached to your home, please don't run your car in the garage with the doors closed.

lucwolf
02-15-11, 02:48 AM
Living in Canada, where summer is thought to be 6 weeks of bad skiing, I can assure you that my 2006 DTS, Lux III will turn on the two front seats, the heater, the rear window defroster, the heated mirrors, and the defroster when started remotely. Once you get into the car and turn on the key, the seats, mirrors, and rear defroster turn off, and need to be turned on manually. If the windshield is clear, the heat blows through the floor outlets. My vehicle warms up in less than 10 minutes from a cold start when it is even in the 20's F.

HartfordGuy
02-15-11, 07:32 AM
I would say there are definately some us who have seen glitches in the system. My remote start has been 99% perfect. The only thing I have noticed that is odd is that sometimes the radio comes on during remote start mode. I couple of times this winter I have remote started the car while out shoveling snow and heard the radio on inside it. Otherwise it has only come on when I turned the key on. HVAC has always come on. Rear defrost comes on if the temp is low enough. I don't have the heated-cooled seat option. :(

mike5514
02-15-11, 09:57 AM
I have a 06 base model and the heated seats will come on with remote start if the seat switch is in the on position. Mike

Rusty058
02-17-11, 12:32 PM
I would say there are definately some us who have seen glitches in the system. My remote start has been 99% perfect. The only thing I have noticed that is odd is that sometimes the radio comes on during remote start mode. I couple of times this winter I have remote started the car while out shoveling snow and heard the radio on inside it. Otherwise it has only come on when I turned the key on. HVAC has always come on. Rear defrost comes on if the temp is low enough. I don't have the heated-cooled seat option. :(

I certainly have a glitch,the only thing that starts besides the car itself is the heated seat.At times the defrost might start.At least when I get in the car to go the engine is warm and after turning on the heat it's already warm

RSD
03-05-11, 02:49 PM
Another twist - The Check Engine light came on two days ago, just after I added gasoline to the fuel tank. I vented the tank when I got to work and parked the car, and the Check Engine light finally went out after a day and a half. The remote start would not work the entire time the Check Engine light was coming on! The headlights would flash on with the remote start button depressed, but the motor would not turn over. Once the Check Engine light stopped coming on, remote start is back working.

My heated seats come on with remote start, 90% of the time, if I have the heated seats on when I turn the car off. Same for interior heating, works fine with remote start; I leave it on and at 84 degrees when turning off the car. My DTS 2006 motor blows heat in just a few minutes, even if it was in the 20s overnight. My 99 El Dorado did the same thing; these two Northstar engine cars are the fasted cars at heating up after a cold start of any cars I have owned, or driven.