: some questions from a prospective STS buyer

mhamilton
12-06-10, 01:05 PM
I currently have my Eldorado (which I love but don't want to mile out), and I'm thinking that in the next year or so I'm going to buy something else as a DD and garage the Eldo. Not brand new, but within the late 2000 models. I really love the looks of the newer STS, I think the front end styling is really sharp, and they definitely have the features I'm looking for. I have a few basic questions, though (hopefully they haven't been asked a million times before... I didn't find much in searching).

I know these cars have fantastic options like the radar cruise, remote start, nav, etc, but is it true they no longer have the automatic parking brake release or deck lid pulldown?

Did they have optional rear axle ratios, or is it just one? I'd definitely be going with the N*, what kind of mileage do they get in real life highway driving? I've seen the EPA specs, which I know are not always accurate, since my current car is rated at 26 mpg and I never see less than 27 highway. Most often I get 28-29 mpg hwy.

Thanks in advance for any info,
-Michael

Greg00coupe
12-06-10, 01:13 PM
I can help you with 3 out for 4 questions. I have an N and 18 all around and 23 on the highway. The parking brake release and trunk pull down gone. Yea I was amazed too but in a previous post someone pointed out they tend to clean sheet these designs with a new team and apparently don't do a good job reviewing the then current products and features.

Don't know about and optional axle ratios....... but I have never seen that discussed on here.

Vrs. my 2000 STS it had more room, a better trunk, a bigger fuel tank, front wheel drive, I could pull my own codes off the DIC, had a transmission dipstick. I guess this is progress. I like my 05 STS but Cadi can do better in putting out a world class car.

mhamilton
12-06-10, 01:48 PM
Oh :( That's very disappointing to hear.

What RPM does it pull at 70 mph? I can't believe that it doesn't get better economy than that on the highway. Sounds better in the city, though, I guess the 6 speed is good for that.

So in all honesty, you think the 2000 gen Seville was better? I haven't gone to test drive a new STS yet, just been looking around online and what not. Just from the pictures it seemed like the trunk on the new STS was pretty chintzy with the small opening and gas struts instead of springs. Does the rest of the car have a "thinner" feel as well? I'd really love to have the upgraded N* with VVT, but it seems like the rest of the car may fall short.

SlickCityStan
12-06-10, 02:48 PM
just a note on the old trunk pulldown feature, Cadillac got rid of it because it was costing too much to replace. Most people were so unaccustomed to the feature that they would slam the trunklid to close it and the lock mechanism wasn't designed to withstand the repeated shocks. Another case of a car to smart for the drivers.

Midnight
12-06-10, 06:53 PM
They do have different rear end gear ratios. Check here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/12446-2005-cadillac-sts-information.html

Mine (1SG package which is the V8 Northstar) is the 3.42. I do mostly highway, but the city driving I do really kills my mileage. I get around 19 usually. It seems to max out at around 22 on pure highway at around 70-75. The lower ratio supposedly will do better. I do drive spirited, I don't try to hyper mile. Having too much fun for that. I bet I could get the 26 if I drafted behind a truck with over inflated tires at 60 mph, lol.

One downside that compounds upon the mileage is the fuel tank holds 17g, IMO it should hold 20. But you get used to it.

EChas3
12-06-10, 08:36 PM
My wife's car has gotten 25MPG at 80MPH onw day of vacation interstate driving (actual not computer). It turns 2,000 RPM at that speed since it has the 2.73 rear-end. My AWD 1SG can't touch that at the speeds we drive.

I had a Buick with the pull-down trunk and most people did slam it, anyway. It never broke in 12 years and 225,000 miles!

These cars can be a great bargin but I urge you get some warranty program or provide a serious allowance for repairs. Personally, I would also be certain to get all the options you'd ever want because they are what makes the car worthwhile. If the options aren't that important, another car may be a better deal for you.

mhamilton
12-07-10, 07:05 PM
Hmmmm... that is a noticeable drop from my current car. I'm not doing any nutty hyper-mileage driving, tires at 30 psi, set cruise to 75 mph and go on a 300 mile trip, get 28-29 mpg. Even without cruise and with traffic get 27 mpg. Also turning 2000 rpm at 75 mph. I would have expected the newer N* to get better economy with the VVT. That's certainly something to think about, not sure if having all the electronic accessories will compensate for that.

Lots to consider, thank you all for your input!

EChas3
12-07-10, 10:07 PM
My wife's '98 STS didn't get much better mileage that her 2007 STS. IMHO, gas is cheap. The question that matters to me is, "Do I enjoy driving the car?"

My 2006 STS is more fun to drive than any of the older Cadillac designs except... The XLR is a blast, but impractical. The DTS is mushy and harder on entry & exit. The V's have the right idea and appeal to me but none of them have ACC (stupid designers).

No offense intended, but the ESC I drove was not much better than the '98 sidewinder with heavy torque-steer under WOT. That generation Cadillac did have a great WOT sound but handled like all the other FWD's. No thanks.

I love my STS. I'll be sad when I wear it out but it's just a car. I'll find another one, or something better.

mhamilton
12-07-10, 11:26 PM
That's true, the STS is a much lower gear ratio; I know in the Eldo ETC the best I ever saw was 23-24 mpg hwy. The ESC is very soft, in fact even I find it to be a bit too wallowy on back country roads. Really nice on the highway though. That's one reason I would like Magnaride to get the best of both worlds. I've actually never noticed any torque steer in my car... maybe I never paid any attention. The only handling complaint from me is the bad oversteer if I try to make a turn too fast.. lol, but I don't often try that with the extra-soft suspension.

I'm not really sure what car I want next, maybe it's time to try a different brand. Not sure the STS has the rear leg room I want, would be nice to have a long wheelbase car that my friends could actually fit in. I'll have to look at a newer STS next time I'm at the dealer.

97etc
12-08-10, 06:27 PM
I was faced with the same decision earlier this year, moving from '97 ETC to '08 STS4 N* 1SG. On fuel economy, yes the Eldo was better, but the STS is AWD and a fair bit heavier... and is a better car in every other way. As others have said, gas is cheap. Having tried both V6 and N* versions, while the power is similar, the way it's put down is different. V6 works for the CTS, less so for the STS. So for me, I'll happily give up a bit on economy for the smooth delivery and sound of the N*.

Some points for the STS:
- Look ma, no torque steer!
- Feels solid and handles like a car half its size. When the ETC was new, it could be flung through a corner surprisingly well, but never like the STS.
- Good looks, more room, great stereo, decent nav, much better lights.
- Negligible oil consumption and excellent oil life on synthetic.

Downside, IMHO:
- A q-ship compared to the Eldo, which I think is still a special car. I miss mine (except the mounting repair bills).
- Less useful interior storage.
- Some ergonomics are hit and miss (e.g. settings buried two layers down in the touchscreen, small hvac controls placed low in the stack).
- Less user-service friendly, but technology marches on.
I'm happy with my choice and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. There really is no replacement for the Eldo, so keep it and enjoy it too.

Now I should really update my user name. Happy hunting.

mhamilton
12-08-10, 10:37 PM
Thank you, I appreciate the list of pros and cons. I think I may see were my perception is off... correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I'm thinking of the new STS in the same light as the old Seville (a mid size luxury cruiser with sporty power). Instead, it sounds like the STS is more like a bigger version of the CTS (a sport car with luxury). Or is that completely off?

I'm starting to think my kind of car is more like the Deville, if only it wasn't so outdated with the old 4 speed and FWD. Although my primary concern is not 0-60, I'd still expect a Cadillac to have current technology and not rehash a 20 year old drivetrain.

BTW, when you said "A q-ship compared to the Eldo" does that mean the STS seems to just blend into the background with all of today's other cars?

Greg00coupe
12-09-10, 01:53 PM
I think you are right about the STS. It is more like a sports car, probably the most sports car 4 door Cadi has ever made. It is not a traditional Cadillac and that could be good or bad. It's more german if you get my drift. It is a tight very solid car to drive...... a drivers driver if you get that. IMHO Cadillac so missed the boat in marketing this car. It is far and above better then a CTS. If Cadi had redone a gen 2 STS like the CTS........wow!!!

I'm watching for the last production year (2011 I hear) Then in say 2014 I'll buy another and be set for 7 more years.

txbest1980
12-09-10, 03:24 PM
well i will throw my .02 cents in on this as i own a CTS and a STS. the STS is nothing sporty compared to the CTS. the STS floats like the older Caddy's do compared to the CTS. the difference between the two are so huge. I also own a 91 deville, 89 fleetwood and a 87 eldo biarritz and i prefer to drive my STS. the STS is a nice car and i prefer it over the CTS any day of the week compared to the others

EChas3
12-09-10, 11:09 PM
well i will throw my .02 cents in on this as i own a CTS and a STS. the STS is nothing sporty compared to the CTS. the STS floats like the older Caddy's do compared to the CTS. the difference between the two are so huge. I also own a 91 deville, 89 fleetwood and a 87 eldo biarritz and i prefer to drive my STS. the STS is a nice car and i prefer it over the CTS any day of the week compared to the others

I'd like you to try my STS-4 1SG for a week. It's a very different car than my wife's RWD 1SE. I don't think your opinion will change (CTS vs STS) but the contrast is real. My 1SG has a solid, almost heavy, feel when compared to the CTS sporty, lighter feel. They are both responsive, in different ways. I like to muscle a car around, my wife doesn't.

txbest1980
12-10-10, 12:38 PM
I'd like you to try my STS-4 1SG for a week. It's a very different car than my wife's RWD 1SE. I don't think your opinion will change (CTS vs STS) but the contrast is real. My 1SG has a solid, almost heavy, feel when compared to the CTS sporty, lighter feel. They are both responsive, in different ways. I like to muscle a car around, my wife doesn't.

i understand what you are saying...i test drove a few different STS's and all in comparison to the CTS, none of them felt as sporty as that. but you are correct, the 1SE and 1SG STS do feel different, but that has a lot to do with the different handling system and the engine differences...

97etc
12-10-10, 02:21 PM
BTW, when you said "A q-ship compared to the Eldo" does that mean the STS seems to just blend into the background with all of today's other cars?

Not really. I think it does stand out, it's just that there's very little on the road like an Eldorado. You can't mistake them for anything else. The first generation STS had that quality too.

From my limited experience with the DTS, I would say that it drives most like the ETC. Sigma platform cars are entirely different but vary widely in feel depending on spec. If you want a roomy cruiser to eat up the highway miles, DTS or base STS would be the way to go. I suspect that any recent model year DTS will likely have a higher residual value than the STS though.

EChas3
12-11-10, 01:03 AM
i understand what you are saying...i test drove a few different STS's and all in comparison to the CTS, none of them felt as sporty as that. but you are correct, the 1SE and 1SG STS do feel different, but that has a lot to do with the different handling system and the engine differences...

My 1SG is AWD & ZF Steering, too. Her's is a Hertz car and softer than most . Check out these RPO's:

6LJ - SUSPENSION
7LJ - SUSPENSION COMPONENT
8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
B8X - PRODUCTION WEEK 48
JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
JJD - I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED