: BRRRRR! Goldie is cold

75sled
12-06-10, 09:30 AM
96 FWB won't warm up. I had to drive about 70 miles north this AM for a week long class and the outside temp only got colder. My dear Goldie wouldn't warm up at all.

My assumption is a thermostat maybe stuck open as I have just checked the coolant/anti-freeze a few days ago and it was fine. This is really the first time this year I have had a REAL need for a heater. So do you guys think the 'stat would fix it? I saw something about a heater control valve but wasn't sure exactly what that did to be able to determine if that might be the culprit.

jayoldschool
12-06-10, 09:37 AM
Easy to check for a stuck thermostat. Use the codes on the HVAC to observe the temp. On mine, when the t stat was stuck open a bit, it would stay at the same temp all the time. With a correctly functioning stat, once the car is warmed up it is very easy to see the coolant temp come up, then drop as the stat opens. The stat will then close, and the coolant will come up again. This was observed on the highway in cold weather, though.

An even easier check: drive the car until it should be warmed up. Stop, grab the top rad hose. Not hot? Stuck t stat.

Same check for heater core. Grab both hoses. One hot, one cold? Plugged core.

Stingroo
12-06-10, 09:45 AM
I must agree, it's freakin' freezing down here.

36 degrees this morning. I HATE THIS.

75sled
12-06-10, 10:29 AM
I printed the instructions for getting into the diags on the HVAC but I don't have them with me. Can you tell me how to get in and what option will tell me the operating temp?

turbojimmy
12-06-10, 10:33 AM
I printed the instructions for getting into the diags on the HVAC but I don't have them with me. Can you tell me how to get in and what option will tell me the operating temp?

Hold down the OFF and Temp up (warm) button simultaneously for a few seconds. Use the fan button to select Option 8. Top right button to select (mine says "OUTSIDE TEMP" but some are different).

thefleetwoodguy
12-06-10, 01:05 PM
Micheal
I am willing to bet it just needs the heater core flushed
as this is very common, there was a post a couple weeks ago
from outsider that had pics, just disconnect the two heater hoses
from (mid fender) and hook up a garden hose to each line , allowing it
to run at full blast, then after about 4-5 min, switch sides and reverse flush
do this a couple times, hook everything back up, burp the system after it reaches operating temp, bleeder screw is located at the thermostat
housing, I dont think Ive seen one that didnt require this every couple years or so, its quick and easy, it sure wouldnt hurt to verify the temp with the onboard diagnostics , first, but Im confident you will just need a flush!

Im working on that compressor for you, before the end of this month
my friend will be up here, and he has one............keep us posted! Jimbo

75sled
12-06-10, 01:13 PM
Well I think you were right. I just went to lunch in it, and as it didn't heat up very fast it did get up to 177. Yet the air coming from the blower was, at best, luke warm.

When I flush the core, should I be looking for something to be coming out with the water I am flushing thru?

What a miserable time to be playing outside in the water!!! YUK!!!!!!!

thefleetwoodguy
12-06-10, 01:41 PM
lol it was 22 this morning Im willing to bet
it was warm there !

you will see some dirty colored coolant/water come out
dont expect chunks of anything, if you hold the engine side hoses up you should loose much coolant, Im sure your heat will be cooking hot after this ,
some time Ill show you what cold really is!, then again jayoldschool must have it even worse then were I am, but last year we hit 25 below one morning, thats the coldest Ive ever seen, it warmed up to 10 below later that day.......cant wait to put these winters behind me SOOOOOOOOON!!!!

75sled
12-06-10, 01:46 PM
Yeah your right.

30 isn't our coldest, but it is still cold to us. Seeing as how I never got warm this morning, I am still cold and I don't like it. I can't even imagine -10 much less -25. WTH!!!

75sled
12-07-10, 09:07 AM
Well it seems you all were right. I flushed it yesterday, which was very easy and I road in this AM nice and toasty. I really didn't see much come out. It was a little cloudy at first but no chunks or anything. Anyway, it worked. WOO HOO!!!! Also, should it take 20 minutes or more for the car to come up to operating temp?

BTW, what is the option on the HVAC for the RPMs?